Valhalla Shimmer.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scotty wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:50 pm Don't be afraid to give xenoverb a go.. it has a shimmer verb built in and has the right parameters to dial it in , it also has a freeze function. I like it plenty and I am not starving for verbs.
This. After demoing different shimmers, I ended up with Xenoverb, which to me sounds really nice and reproduces very well the Lanois/Eno vibe.

Wow just demoed the xenoverb and it is very unique. This summer sale seems like a steal from what you're getting.

Polaris by audiority is also pretty nice for shimmer and other interesting reverb effects.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classic wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:01 pm Hello all.

I am just wondering, if there will be some sort of improvements to the shimmer thing, like some new features?

What would you like to be added to it?
Shimmer is great.
The preset browser would benefit from an update.

Vortifex wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:38 am I wouldn't recommend Xenoverb in its current state. It has multiple issues. Displayed decay times often don't reflect the actual decay time. For example I just selected Shimmer and set decay time to 2 seconds but the actual time was around 12 seconds. Sometimes when I switch algos the first attempt doesn't register so I have to do it again, sometimes twice. And the Shimmer algo itself seems buggy. This is what happens with a displayed decay time of just 2 seconds (keep listening): https://vocaroo.com/1jlLeu70sCwJ
Can you provide specifics? What OS are you running? I have not encountered this issue on a PC running Windows 7 64 bit using the VST3 and VST2 versions of the plugin. Updated in May of 2020 running V 1.2.1 here.

Also look at the changelog of the versions.
v1.2.1 (May 2020)
– FIX: Algorithm menu selecting wrong value
– CHANGE: Removed the possibility to hide registration information

v1.2 (April 2020)
– FIX: Tail not reset when DAW restarts playing
– FIX: Silence triggered randomly in some configurations
– NEW: Room B algorithm
– NEW: Notifications System
– NEW: VST3 plugin format
– NEW: Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina support
– NEW: Hiding registration information on GUI
– CHANGE: New framework
– BREAKING CHANGE: 64bit only
v1.1 (December 2018)
– FIX: Reverb time now showing as ms/secs
– FIX: Clicking on knob will now show its value on the display
– NEW: Framework update with new paths
– NEW: Unlock all knobs

v1.0.5 (June 2018)
– FIX: INIT preset not correctly recalled when modified
– FIX: Wrong presets order on OSX High Sierra
– FIX: Buttons not automating
– FIX: Mono to Stereo noise when bypassed (AAX only)

v1.0.4 (October 2017)
– FIX: Parameter label not updating during automations
– FIX: Improved modulations for several algorithms
– FIX: Fixed stereo image on Glass algorithm
– FIX: Pre Delay not correctly updated when randomized

v1.0.3 (September 2017)
– FIX: Room algorithm randomly crashing at higher sample rates

v1.0.2 (September 2017)
– FIX: Channel initialization causing a spike
– FIX: Improved file size

v1.0.1 (September 2017)
– FIX: Plugin crashing on some configurations

v1.0 (September 2017)
– Original release

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:50 pm I'm on Windows 10, VST2.
CAn you confirm which version of the plugin you are using and which DAW? Thanks for responding.

Has anyone tried Bleass Shimmer against Valhalla Shimmer? I think they're trying to do the same thing, right? I haven't tried Valhalla Shimmer.

Valhalla Shimmer with an ADSR/Envelope and predelay on input and a ducker on output, plus another dial or two to mix in other octaves would be awesome.

Bleass Shimmer looks like it’s easier to control and sounds good too.

This is an older thread but that would be a welcoming thing: to have slightly more options on dialling in things and have a bit more control over the whole thing

More controls + shimmer (tho not as heavy as Valhalla) the new BabyAudio Crystalline is a perfect tool for a verb who can do many things

This effect was invented by Eventide. I use Eventide's ShimmerVerb to get the legit original algorithm.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

As i understand it the shimmer effect was invented/discovered by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois using Eventide equipment. From Eventide site: "
Oftentimes, producers would achieve the effect by using Eventide pitch shifting hardware such as the H910, H949, or H3000 or other rack mount units in combination with a reverb. This production technique was popularized by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno on U2’s The Unforgettable Fire. "

Personally i think they did it before The Unforgettable Fire, more like Apollo but it was a while ago and i'm not sure when i first heard it. Of course people are constantly reinventing/rediscover stuff so as the site says they (Eno/Lanois) popularized it, perhaps others had done it previously.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Xenoverb is a pretty good reverb (lightweight, easy to use...) has a lot options but Valhalla Shimmer "beats" Xenoverb shimmer mode by far. Smoother sound etc. (at least for my ear).

<--- Guilty of being a Valhalla Shimmer fanboy.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Return to “Effects”