Best Fairchild 670 alternative?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

Its a kind of unique compressor, all tubes and mid/side in the 50s.
Well most already know this one well.
What is your go-to alternative, when you need mid/side compression with tons of color?
Ive only tried the waves plugin and while I like it alot, it does have a HP filter that theres no way of turning off (or even see that it is there in the first place); so its not really usable for final mixing or mastering.

Pro-C2 in Tube mode in all glory but can it do M/S? While yes, it can, but you need 2 instances to do each channel. At least I havent figured out a way to do it with 1 instance.

Klanghelm MJUC (MkI).
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

astralprojection wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:30 pm
... its not really usable for final mixing or mastering.
It was designed for mastering in the vinyl age when too much bass energy would cause the stylus to do the high jump.
IK do one. Since I use channel strips these days I need a cleaner mastering compressor, so I use SPL Iron.

I have a REAPER FX chain preset with dual-mono MJUC between a mid-side matrix.

Variety Of Sound's Density is good, free, and does the M/S stuff easily.

This: https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-molot-ge/

I've never used a fairchild 670 or any emulation, so I can't say how close this is to that exact color. But I've used this (or the prior free version) for years, and can attest that there's a very wide range of colorations available. Very highly recommended compressor plug. Worth each penny of its full price IMO.

Googly Smythe wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:06 pm
astralprojection wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:30 pm
... its not really usable for final mixing or mastering.
It was designed for mastering in the vinyl age when too much bass energy would cause the stylus to do the high jump.
IK do one. Since I use channel strips these days I need a cleaner mastering compressor, so I use SPL Iron.
so the original also has an internal HP filter? it makes sense from what you are saying, but also it doesnt make sense, why would the compressor be responsible for the hp filter? :)
but yes there were much less sub bass back then .

El°HYM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:42 pm Klanghelm MJUC (MkI).
can it do mid side? from the looks of it, it cannot.
Andreya_Autumn wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:32 am This: https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-molot-ge/

I've never used a fairchild 670 or any emulation, so I can't say how close this is to that exact color. But I've used this (or the prior free version) for years, and can attest that there's a very wide range of colorations available. Very highly recommended compressor plug. Worth each penny of its full price IMO.
Cool, ill check that out, TDR has some quality plugs! It does native Mid/side I presume?

I wonder what happens if I press this button...

astralprojection wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:24 am
Andreya_Autumn wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:32 am This: https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-molot-ge/

Cool, ill check that out, TDR has some quality plugs! It does native Mid/side I presume?
The Klanghelm one doesn't do native M/S. It does allow dual-mono, so if you have M/S encoder/decoder plugs you could put those before and after and get M/S compression. You can't set the thresholds individually that way though, so you'd probably be better off using two instances, as someone else suggested.

The TDR one has native M/S (though they refer to it as sum/diff). With separately adjustable threshold and make-up gain, while all other params are shared. :tu:

Andreya_Autumn wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:35 am

The TDR one has native M/S (though they refer to it as sum/diff). With separately adjustable threshold and make-up gain, while all other params are shared. :tu:
mid/side matrixing pro-c2 is already something i do, but im getting pretty tired of that approach and would love a 670 replacement, and this one seems to be just it!
My thanks to you kind sir :tu:

astralprojection wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:24 am

I seem to have over read that; no it cant. It would be possible with an M/S Utility, as described Above. Still one of the best 670 emulations, imho. TDR normally has Mid / Side.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Ddmf magic death eye, no MS though.

Andreya_Autumn wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:35 am
crud, i just realised you said that you cant change attack and release seperately for the mid/side, lat/ver, sum/diff, sum dum goy whatever u want to name it :oops:

trying the demo right away, thank you :tu:

Return to “Effects”