M1 native (not)coming updates

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:10 am That's a bummer. Reminds me of the very slow move to Intel back in the day.
I actually thought it would take longer than it has and am a little surprised by how many *have* been migrated so far including 16 DAWs, 2200+ plugins across 300+ developers. I have an embarrassingly large multi-decade collection myself and of those only a small handful are still x86 only, mostly consisting of Kush, Native Instruments and Relab. Thankfully my most used NI instrument, Kontakt, has been native for a good while now.

Tronam wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:53 am
Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:10 am That's a bummer. Reminds me of the very slow move to Intel back in the day.
I actually thought it would take longer than it has and am a little surprised by how many *have* been migrated so far including 16 DAWs, 2200+ plugins across 300+ developers. I have an embarrassingly large multi-decade collection myself and of those only a small handful are still x86 only, mostly consisting of Kush, Native Instruments and Relab. Thankfully my most used NI instrument, Kontakt, has been native for a good while now.
It's taken roughly the same time as it did for developers to port to Intel and to OS X from OS 9 back in the day. You're luckier than I am with plug ins, waiting on: Air, Nomad Factory, NI, Audio Ease, VSL etc. etc. It seems to depend on how old the graphic libraries you used are how quickly you can port, as evidenced by every company I mentioned being 15 years old or older, without significant changes to the GUI's, nothing resizable and not many VST3 versions.

I feel that there's a not so small chance that the older AIR and Nomad Factory stuff will never be updated. I think the original developer for Nomad Factory passed away several years ago. Companies that are really surprising me with their lateness are Roland Cloud and UJAM. UJAM is still releasing new products without M1 support (eg USynth)...WTF?
-- Insert profound words here --

I hope Output updates Thermal, Portal and Movement to M1 soon. Anybody heard anything from them regarding M1?

I truly sympathize with you, Mac owners (Windows here, you’ve guessed). I almost can’t believe this kind of thread needs to exist. Sorry for you all that you’re in trouble to work properly.
How can they break compatibility like this ? I think I would beat them all with a dead horse until they find a solution for my software to work on their latest OS.
On Windows, you simply upgrade your Windows, and almost everything still works !!!!
M1 upgrade shouldn’t mean "now all developers in the world have to find a solution for their software to work on it" (WTFF ?!?), that’s a serious dead horse beating case for me.
Sorry for this mild off-topic ranting.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:00 am Sorry for this mild off-topic ranting.
You misdiagnose the issue completely. There is no broken compatibility.
Just about every Intel-compiled software or plugin runs just fine in Rosetta2. It is VERY rare that something Intel doesn't work on an M1 Mac.

But, you see, while we already get better performance on M1 Macs using Rosetta than you would on a Wintel machine, that's just the tip of the iceberg of the M1 gains. When you're running your DAW and plugins native, you see an additional 20% to 40% increase in CPU performance.

I run both Mac and Windows, and I'm truly blown away by how my M1 Pro yawns while playing songs that my Windows machine chokes and gasps on. And the M1 does it with a mere 16 samples latency.

For pro-audio, Macs dominate actual sales, so of course developers have a strong incentive to support M1 natively going forward. But Apple isn't forcing them to do it. They could just shrivel up and go out of business, if they want.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:14 pm I hope Output updates Thermal, Portal and Movement to M1 soon. Anybody heard anything from them regarding M1?
Today, they at least announced M1 native compatibility for Arcade, so there is hope for their effects.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChF5fqIseMu

DJErmac wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:00 am I truly sympathize with you, Mac owners (Windows here, you’ve guessed). I almost can’t believe this kind of thread needs to exist. Sorry for you all that you’re in trouble to work properly.
How can they break compatibility like this ? I think I would beat them all with a dead horse until they find a solution for my software to work on their latest OS.
On Windows, you simply upgrade your Windows, and almost everything still works !!!!
M1 upgrade shouldn’t mean "now all developers in the world have to find a solution for their software to work on it" (WTFF ?!?), that’s a serious dead horse beating case for me.
Sorry for this mild off-topic ranting.
M1 is a different architecture with a different instruction set on a hardware level.
Intel compiled software is native and works better via rosetta translation layer than on many intel machines.
But ARM native is just quicker.
No need for sympathy, 99% of my plugins are M1 native and i can do so much on a 13” M1 that i could only on a PC tower or some ungodly gaming
Laptop.

I can run software last updated in 2014? Easily. (Probably older but i dont have older). If it was coded well anyway. Old dependencies and obsolote libraries drag everything down

People saying their Windows machine are slower than M1 Macs, are you using laptops or desktops? Because an M1 can't compete with a 12900K or even a 12600K.

xx JPRacer xx wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:38 am People saying their Windows machine are slower than M1 Macs, are you using laptops or desktops? Because an M1 can't compete with a 12900K or even a 12600K.
It’s a pointless convo it’s all in the benchmarks.
M1 is better performance/watt so for 12900k compare with M1 max or pro or even ultra.
Or even better wait for M2 pro/max since it will be a more fair comparison

xx JPRacer xx wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:38 am People saying their Windows machine are slower than M1 Macs, are you using laptops or desktops? Because an M1 can't compete with a 12900K or even a 12600K.
You’re not talking about the M1 Ultra or even them M1 Max/Pro. Funny that you’ve got to go to Intel’s latest 240W desktop processors to compete with a 60W laptop from Apple. :lol:

DJErmac wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:00 amI truly sympathize with you, Mac owners (Windows here, you’ve guessed). I almost can’t believe this kind of thread needs to exist. Sorry for you all that you’re in trouble to work properly.
How can they break compatibility like this ?
You don't need to feel sympathy for me, I've moved to M1pro, and it's awesome. Everything I have that runs natively (which is probably 85% of my stuff), and the stuff that doesn't yet have native versions still works just fine under Rosetta seamlessly.

There are no gotchas, it's by fast the best machine I've ever used, and as a laptop, it has all the power I need, while being completely silent, and barely warm to the touch.

jamcat wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:08 am
You’re not talking about the M1 Ultra or even them M1 Max/Pro. Funny that you’ve got to go to Intel’s latest 240W desktop processors to compete with a 60W laptop from Apple. :lol:
It's funny that you need to always call up the power consumption, which is never contemplated in benchmarks. :hihi:

That "60W laptop from Apple" often costs more than a powerful 12900K machine, anyway.
Fernando (FMR)

Power consumption = heat = noise. Which is a very big deal when recording and mixing music. But maybe not for playing video games.

jamcat wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:16 am Power consumption = heat = noise. Which is a very big deal when recording and mixing music. But maybe not for playing video games.
Good cooling systems are completely silent. My machine is. Of course, those cooling systems cannot be installed in laptops. But we don't need to use a laptop in a studio. You should investigate more :roll:

BTW: Noise is "big deal" no matter where.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Effects”