Which LiquidSonics Reverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

From briefly demoing yesterday, I didn’t think much of the basic versions of Seventh Heaven and CR, not because the sound is bad but because the reverbs are a lot less tweakable than I wanted.

I think for the current price, I’d get the full version of Tai Chi, due to the amount of control you get over different aspects (although as mentioned, it’s more of a colour verb than natural sounding). It just sounds really lush, a/b’d it against my other reverbs and nothing came close

For me the sweet spot was Tai Chi Lite.

1) it's algorithmic

2) it has by far the biggest discount (70%)

3) Despite being called "Lite" it's already mightily powerful and versatile, so the name is rather misleading
(I think they should have rather called them "Tai Chi" and "Tai Chi Qiáng")

4) It sounds amazing and brings something new to the table
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

shonky wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:28 am although as mentioned, it’s more of a colour verb than natural sounding
I know people say that a lot but I totally disagree - it can sound rather natural in my opinion and there are presets to show it - it's a similar thing as with Sonsig for me - because it has optionally rather strong chorussing included and can do 224 style lush huge reverbs, it does in no way mean it is limited to that, yet people keep reiterating that same cliché, whereas they keep repeating for years how natural Phoenix/Nimbus sounds (which I don't think it does).

Especially Tai Chi can sound stunningly realistic in my opinion.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I was talking more in relation to the other LS/RF titles. It can do both easily, don’t think this is the case for CR

Bear in mind you can save additional money if you already have some of their plugins - I had Tai Chi and Reverberate already and ended up with a cumulative 30% on top of the BF sale price on the Pro Bundle. I think between these and Tai Chi (plus a few special fx reverbs like Blackhole and Velvet Machine) I can retire my 2CAudio plugins now as they are defunct on Apple Silicon at least

Was interested possibly also in Lustrous Plates but the blurb seems a bit odd - it says it's based on actual measurement of real plates but how can that be in the case of 'Corbomite: A very dense and heavy plate' as Corbomite is a fictional substance found only in Star Trek?

Also I don't really understand the relationship between Illusion and Reverberate? Given that Reverberate is able to load third party and non fusion IRs as well as Fusion IRs doesn't that make Illusion redundant if I already have Reverberate or can it do more?

I personally find their whole product line more than a little confusing with a lot of overlap. Ok, so they're all reverbs, there's the pro/inexpensive versions, most are convolution based with some special tech to simulate modulated tails (or did they somehow capture the real modulation via the capture process? Unclear!), and then Tai Chi is algorithmic, but they seemingly acquired that from another company, and some of their convulation tech is different than their other convolution tech but it varies based on the product? Like, huh? That's a lot to keep track of. I'm going to pass on these. Wouldn't even know where to begin.

I think Cinematic Rooms is entirely algorithmic but more for clean natural (less coloured) reverbs
Tai Chi is the same but for more modulated and lush reverbs - it was created by the same developer just different companies but now merged - same with HD Cart (not sure if that is just for surround or what it is emulating)
Reverberate is entirely IR based - I think Illusion, Lustrous plates and Seventh heaven are too but I think maybe Illusion has some algorithmic aspects (not sure if just for early reflections or also tails?)

The cheaper versions are the same algos and sound but with less controls (bit like the Relab LX480 Essentials)

I think Seventh Heaven Pro apart from having more controls has a set of modulated reverbs that aren't on Seventh Heaven.

Tai Chi lite I think lacks the multiband thing, ducking and the bit crushing / fidelity options.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:06 pm I think Cinematic Rooms is entirely algorithmic but more for clean natural (less coloured) reverbs
Tai Chi is the same but for more modulated and lush reverbs - it was created by the same developer just different companies but now merged - same with HD Cart (not sure if that is just for surround or what it is emulating)
Reverberate is entirely IR based - I think Illusion, Lustrous plates and Seventh heaven are too but I think maybe Illusion has some algorithmic aspects (not sure if just for early reflections or also tails?)

The cheaper versions are the same algos and sound but with less controls (bit like the Relab LX480 Essentials)
I see now - Illusion and Lustrous plates are based on resynthesised IRs, not actual IRs, and you get a lot more control over the space created, as well as early reflections and tails.

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:44 pm I see now - Illusion and Lustrous plates are based on resynthesised IRs, not actual IRs, and you get a lot more control over the space created, as well as early reflections and tails.
Has someone compared them with the Space Designer in Logic Pro (synthesised IR mode)?

shonky wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:59 pm I was talking more in relation to the other LS/RF titles. It can do both easily, don’t think this is the case for CR
Ah, I see - tbh I know nothing about Cinematic Rooms since I have zero interest in it as it is vastly outside the range I am willing to spend on individual plugins.

But this deal on Tai Chi "Lite" is an absolutely steal - it's really a bargain and a half for anyone who doesn't own either of both editions yet - and as I said: the "Lite"-bit is pretty misleading. Until now I always disregarded this version myself for it - had I know how immensely versatile and tweakable it is I would have purchased it right when it came out.

jfyi:
as someone who allready had several LS titles, my price for CRP was ~94$, now at the sale.
Taichi was ~ around same, without a sale going on.
Thats VERY fair.
.....couldn´t resist on the cinematic Room Pro for that price !
despite the fact that i was allready *completely* broke. lol

Today, i´d take Tai-chi and CRP, and might omit 7th heaven, which was mostly my goto Verb for the last years-
With these two alone, i would be happy like a good snowboarder in deep Powder 8)
its a dream come true. Seriously
all 3 of them.

despite the fact how good these do sound,
its the ease of use which wins !

Their reverbs are actually pretty straightforward, except for Illusion - which should be retired or updated and given a better focus now given the rest of the portfolio.

Cinematic Room: algo clean rooms, halls, and chambers to which you can add some character - had Hans Zimmer of all people suggest (online in a forum) that I get it

TaiChi (same developer had two companies for a long time): a modern algo that can get quite colored, along the lines of a vintage verb.

HD Cart: algo emulation of the surround sound cart addition to the LX480 (same developer as Liquidsonics)

Seventh Heaven: an IR based emulation of the M7.

Lustrous Plates: IR based plate only reverb

Reverberate 3: IR based reverb that can load any IRs and comes with many

Illusion: IR/algo reverb that’s very very tweakable and deep, and maybe sounds between CR and TC? A bit older.
Last edited by vitocorleone123 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

shonky wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:28 am From briefly demoing yesterday, I didn’t think much of the basic versions of Seventh Heaven and CR, not because the sound is bad but because the reverbs are a lot less tweakable than I wanted.
CR standard is much better than 7H standard, but both are a bit weak compared to their Pro versions. That’s why I ended up with the Pro versions.

It helped that HDCart was $50 or so for a long time, and then TaiChi intro price was maybe $100. That $150 initial layout last year paid for itself for me when it came to that BF sale and loyalty discounts a month later.

Return to “Effects”