Algonaut Atlas 2 finally announced. New buyers get 2 for free, 19$ upgrade for others.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Atlas Atlas 2

machinesworking wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:54 pm
dayjob wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:04 pm i absolutely love the sequencer in Atlas. it's the reason i bought the software. it's fast to come up with fresh sounding stuff using all sorts of samples. the random sequence generator is quite good as a starting place.

don't overlook the sequencer. it's super funky.
I'm almost there with you. My main issues with the sequencer...

You can't select all the tracks and set the length all at once, which is super helpful for odd time signatures of course.

I drag MIDI from Atlas into Bitwig, and it works, yay, then exporting that MIDI to the desktop, dragging it back into Atlas, it's not there, because it's somehow recognizing that the MIDI is on bar 32, which Atlas can't read...

Seriously, just give us 10+ sequences and the ability to fire them via notes like Geist etc. I can record MIDI from Beatstep Pro into Atlas, I would like to be able to keep it in Atlas until the bitter end.

i use it for pattern generation, some tweaks and making kits.. then i move into the DAW and go from there because that's just what i do. i like having all the midi things to play with in different DAWs so i don't even try to work in depth in atlas. purely for pattern generation it's fantastic and really fast for me. it's easy to create sequences and mutate them for whatever purpose..

Also really like the sequencer in Atlas, especially the feature that you can load a random sequence for one piece from your library. That's a really nice feature I haven't seen.
It's also really easy to make polyrhythms with it, by changing the overall duration of each sequence track individually (just slide the end piece left).

Something I tried out recently, and might be a good workflow:
After you've created your drums and sequence, export it as mixdown stems as many MIDI tracks.
Then copy the used samples into a sampler of the DAW directly, further tweaking everything (here Atlas is really limited). I like to keep the original Atlas track as deactivated track in the same group.
Now it's easy in the DAW to arrange the individual kit pieces MIDIs.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

For everyone who also likes to import existing MIDI drum loops into Atlas:

There is a nice free tool to do MIDI note mapping between different MIDI Drum software: https://github.com/markheath/midifilemapper

I've created a mapping file from GM to an 4x4 layout, which I oriented on the Bitwig / Maschine conventions, here:
https://github.com/markheath/midifilema ... Bitwig.xml

If you convert your drum loops with this, set Atlas Drum Map to 4x4 Native (N.I. Maschine) and import them, I've got quite good result. How you map GM to 4x4 is a bit opinionated, so maybe you have to make some adjustments to your liking.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Fannon wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:12 am For everyone who also likes to import existing MIDI drum loops into Atlas:

There is a nice free tool to do MIDI note mapping between different MIDI Drum software: https://github.com/markheath/midifilemapper

I've created a mapping file from GM to an 4x4 layout, which I oriented on the Bitwig / Maschine conventions, here:
https://github.com/markheath/midifilema ... Bitwig.xml

If you convert your drum loops with this, set Atlas Drum Map to 4x4 Native (N.I. Maschine) and import them, I've got quite good result. How you map GM to 4x4 is a bit opinionated, so maybe you have to make some adjustments to your liking.
https://www.codefn42.com/notemapper/

rafa1981 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:15 pm Does atlas support velocity to sample start point now? So low velocities skip the transient.
You can change the attack based on the velocity via the Shape parameter. However, I'm only able to make the attack longer with higher velocities which is the opposite of want. Maybe I'm missing something.

Ok, that one is useful too probably but not the one nice to have IMO. The free MPC can do sample start offsets.

Held wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:59 am
rafa1981 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:15 pm Does atlas support velocity to sample start point now? So low velocities skip the transient.
You can change the attack based on the velocity via the Shape parameter. However, I'm only able to make the attack longer with higher velocities which is the opposite of want. Maybe I'm missing something.
Pretty sure you can set velocity to a negative value so you could set the attack high and then use vel to start the sample earlier. Not at my pc atm so might be wrong

It’s supports velocity to attack, so you can increase the attack at low velocities.

Have I missed something or is the folder tree filtering in Atlas kinda useless if you only have one sample folder in a map? I'm running 2.3.0.

For my default map I've pointed Atlas to my main root sample folder, which contains a lot of subfolders mostly tied to sample packs. If I want to filter by one of the subfolders I don't think there is any way to do this without manually unticking the boxes from all other subfolders. The 'None' button only toggles the root level parent folder, and if the parent folder is unchecked then it's not possible to select any of it's subfolders (I think?).

I think a nice solution for this that matches the multi-select behaviour of other common tools would be to allow overriding the selection status of a subfolder i.e. if the parent folder is unticked and then you manually tick a selection box for a subfolder then it ignores the parent folder state (until the parent folder is changed again) and becomes part of the selection. Or alternatively Atlas could just ignore the hierarchy and treat selecting a parent folder only as a shortcut for selecting/unselecting all it's child items.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:05 pm
Krovatin wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:01 pm For me it is not enough content of sequences. I would like to see Reggae kits and sequences, Chillout, Rap, etc. We have only EDM content.
Agree. Would love to see the addition of lots of hip-hop related content personally. Not that I make it, but I love hip-hop drums (particularly old-school 90's East Coast), and there definitely seems to be way more of an EDM focus in Atlas and similar.
You can find Atlas 2 libraries from https://sound7.co.uk/collections/all?gf ... =Atlas%202.
Check out the City Loops for the more Urban beats.

Does anyone know of a setting that I would be able to change if the visual feedback on the sequencer was not in line with the audio feedback? It seems to be 2 beats off for me, e.g. if I place a hit on the first beat in the sequencer I won't hear it until the third.
"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

Choikdoi wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:45 pm Does anyone know of a setting that I would be able to change if the visual feedback on the sequencer was not in line with the audio feedback? It seems to be 2 beats off for me, e.g. if I place a hit on the first beat in the sequencer I won't hear it until the third.
Is this in standalone mode? This might be your system struggling to playback.
Do you have a problem with other VST's?

soundof wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:57 pm Is this in standalone mode? This might be your system struggling to playback.
Do you have a problem with other VST's?
No it was in my DAW. I hadn't thought to try standalone and when I did just now, the issue wasn't happening.

I can't find any other VSTs that are doing anything similar, although I did have problems a few weeks back with resizing plugins crashing my DAW and was told to update my GPU drivers. They are up to date now too, and besides DAW problems I'm not noticing any other graphic related things with my PC.

I'll keep fiddling with DAW settings then, as it's narrowed down to that, and hopefully stumble across something!

Can only think of high latency, and graphic drivers are known to cause issues, although I can't say I've experienced it with Atlas in a DAW (Cubase Pro 12). I normally drag the MIDI to the DAW and trigger the samples that way.

The resizing plugins crash issue resolved itself eventually, somehow. So hopefully this will as well.

I'll use the standalone version and the drag & drop MIDI feature until then too, thanks for the tip!

Return to “Instruments”