Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ChamomileShark wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:41 am @ Friendly Noise.

Nice, did you make those Mellotron soundfonts yourself or is it now in the preset library?
Hi, it’s the Mellotape Flutes preset from Equator. Ready to be played all day long. :)

ow wow i was looking for the roli MPE thread, i guess this is it... wow...

i own a roli seaboard block since june 20. i bought at june 22 a second hand lightpad M. that came june 23.

so i am quite new, but i looked at all the options, and my budget.

till now i like this combination, roli seaboard block + lightpad M (that also can function as a "rise controller").
no problems in the DAW's i use that support MPE reaper 6.x, cubase pro 10.5 and bitwig studio 3.2 (also new...).
the only thing that i must make ligtpad MPE a generic keyboard controller, to make it function like a "rise controller", in... bitwig studio.

learning to play. of course.

i have several MPE capable synths, like LION, MSoundFactory, reaktor (yes..), voltage modular, softube modular, syntmaster 2.9. one synth i have will get MPE.

bought cypher 2 (great synth) as an upgrade. in sale.

i am not a player, i mean the players don't interest me. i make my own presets (i think in 70% of my messages i have to report this). so it is for me sounddesign, i am not an expert, but i can make the sounds i want.

but this is thé thread...

i know the basics, of 5D. decyphering cypher 2..

also nice for my CS-80 V3, single channel poly aftertouch...

i will read this thread.. i saw some pages, with discussions...

it is a new world for me, but i read manuals, i am a lot on the roli website. playing techniques. and of course you must experience it yourself, how to play it. and experience you need, to get the full monty.

i only noticed today, that padshap can be played MPE, in what way, i shall discover. perhaps not fully MPE.

so, what a world...

Friendly Noise wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:57 pm
ChamomileShark wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:41 am @ Friendly Noise.

Nice, did you make those Mellotron soundfonts yourself or is it now in the preset library?
Hi, it’s the Mellotape Flutes preset from Equator. Ready to be played all day long. :)
ok thanks, I must have missed that one!
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

This preset is available in the Roli Studio Player (originally from the Session Keys NOISE pack, if I remember correctly).

@Friendly Noise, happy that you like it so much. :)
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:12 pm This preset is available in the Roli Studio Player (originally from the Session Keys NOISE pack, if I remember correctly).

Seems to be in the BLOCKS library, which can also be downloaded direct from ROLI to use with the RISE (I don't have the player installed, but have the preset :tu: )

WasteLand wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 pm i only noticed today, that padshap can be played MPE, in what way, i shall discover. perhaps not fully MPE.
I'm not sure it is consistently - I'm finding in Bitwig if I turn on MPE Padshop 2 loses aftertouch support but bends work as expected. On the other hand in my other MPE supporting host, Logic, aftertouch works but the bend isn't right.

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 pm
WasteLand wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 pm i only noticed today, that padshap can be played MPE, in what way, i shall discover. perhaps not fully MPE.
I'm not sure it is consistently - I'm finding in Bitwig if I turn on MPE Padshop 2 loses aftertouch support but bends work as expected. On the other hand in my other MPE supporting host, Logic, aftertouch works but the bend isn't right.
perhaps it works only in cubase, you must set someting with note expressions. there is a MPE preset for it also for retrologue. but that is only for cubase..... if it is full MPE, i will try.
ow i wrote padshap. padshop pro (2) i mean.
does not work when sandboxed, will not load, in the setting sandbox plugins individually?
waldorf largo had the same problem, but not on my desktop. virus scanner? i don't know.

ow it does not work that well in logic too, there is an update for padshop pro (version 2, with the granular engine), that fixes something.. modwheel, bend isn't mentioned, strange i thought this update wasn't for me, mac related. it fixes some important things, i shall look tomorrow which version i have (came free with cubase pro 10.5, which i bought last year... the update).

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/do ... hop_2.html

Any chance I could get some trouble-shooting help, gents? (Roli Support is AWOL at the moment.)

The touch faders on my Rise 25 are acting strange. In expression mode, they start all the way up. But when you try to adjust them physically, they turn completely off (thin white light in the middle of the strip) and become unresponsive.

Additionally, when you switch to MIDI mode (I loaded up MIDI Monitor to check this), the only message the faders send is "0" (on channels 107, 109, and 111).

Strangely, I can adjust all three expressions faders via Roli Dashboard. But if you touch them physically you lose them.

Rolled back my firmware to 1.1.7 but still no joy.

Thanks!

himalaya wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:12 pm
Who wouldn’t? It’s just perfect sounding and perfect feeling. :love:

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 pm .... On the other hand in my other MPE supporting host, Logic, aftertouch works but the bend isn't right.
That might be Logic’s handling of MIDI input causing that.

Another example with an unedited preset from the downloadable library (sorry, I don’t remember the name):

https://youtu.be/2xSV0CpBd0o

TOYZ wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:01 am I wonder if they send pressure and Y-axis in 14-bit or 7-bit resolution, the MPE spec allows both. I also wonder about the response curve and if there would be some way to customize it (for instance through SysEx) within the device. The CME X-Key allows that for instance. Open source would be cool tool.

But if the data is available in 14-bit resolution through MPE it would be easy to create a custom curve mapping in software.
Does anyone know if the Rise 2 has 14-bit MIDI output for pressure and glide (y-axis) ?

The Sensel Morph has this which made it a great tool for high-precision use but it's been discontinued. So far I've only seen 14-bit MIDI mentioned for the Rise's pitch bend data..

hey212 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:24 pm Looks like the 25 is back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUVKqPv6RgY
or a Seabord block?

WasteLand wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:56 pm or a Seabord block?
Huh, didn't even know that was a thing. You're right though, looks like it could be a Seaboard Block or a Rise 25.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”