Waves abandon perpetual licenses and WUP

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kidslow wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:11 pm This is Waves we're talking about, so the possibility remains that we will get one of these "final opportunity to buy a perpetual license" sales every week. :lol:
Haha good point! That would indeed sound like something Waves would do.
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Imagine.. Apple bought Waves. All waves plugins now included in to the Logic Pro X for free...

Yeah, let's add another nail to the many existing ones with that coffin, and also flip the bird to over half of their user-base on top of that.

Anybody remembers Camel Audio? Worked out nicely here as well. :thinking:
(for Apple users, yes... not for Windows users)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Iva wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:28 pm Imagine.. Apple bought Waves. All waves plugins now included in to the Logic Pro X for free...
Hyper, hyper !!!

Vortifex wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:46 pm As a hobbyist I will never pay a subscription for music software.
i think they all don´t get it, that they make more money from hobbyists than from pros.
my claim !

There is so much stuff in my bin that i use 2-3 times the year, at best.

i wonder if i could just freeze my current machine, and if for example my Waves perpetual licences will continue to work for years ? or if they will find tricks to clamp that ?
my guess is, they will clamp.

If they plan to change the authoring/activation of plugins... and that will be happening with Waves V15... yes... updating anything prior to that will be fun... again.

(it's not like this didn't happen before with Waves Central).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Funky40 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:14 pm
Vortifex wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:46 pm As a hobbyist I will never pay a subscription for music software.
i think they all don´t get it, that they make more money from hobbyists than from pros.
my claim !

There is so much stuff in my bin that i use 2-3 times the year, at best.

i wonder if i could just freeze my current machine, and if for example my Waves perpetual licences will continue to work for years ? or if they will find tricks to clamp that ?
my guess is, they will clamp.
system image, maybe? I myself, never reinstall windows from scratch, always from the image with all plugins. When I get a new plugin, I create a new system image.

Subscription only definitely bad idea, I hope there is some misunderstanding here.

Upd Did wrote to Waves support for clarify, got reply like "do not have information to provide".

c_voltage wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:18 pm Subscription only definitely bad idea, I hope there is some misunderstanding here.

Upd Did wrote to Waves support for clarify, got reply like "do not have information to provide".
Ok, so subscription confirmed :D

Will all my junk still be able to be updated to the version right before I stop buying anything from waves ? Or does all that stop this week? I'll ask them. It's a shame. I've used their stuff for years and years without issue but I'm not interested in going down this road with any developer.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ilok license servers are under maintenance till March 25 - 21.00. Maybe Waves are going back to Ilok?

Iva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:59 pm Ilok license servers are under maintenance till March 25 - 21.00. Maybe Waves are going back to Ilok?
That would be an interesting and remarkable move.

If that will really be the case... after going from "simple file on USB stick" (with the USB stick being "ID'd"... never use your motherboard as ID!) back to iLok, that is not a good move. And I say that as an iLok user and person that actually prefers licenses on an USB stick.

Plugin Alliance showed to well this can be done. Why break something that works?

Iva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:59 pm Ilok license servers are under maintenance till March 25 - 21.00. Maybe Waves are going back to Ilok?
Allowing soft iLok, and 2 or 3 activations for license, it would be real good.

Read the Bargains thread. As predicted, it’s subscription, apparently

One vendor said subs only, Waves apparently responded that no, resellers are toast but Waves themselves will continue to sell perpetual too.

If that’s the case i. e. a choice, then f**k subs, give me perps as a choice, and I’m happy.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Effects”