The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

Jac459 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:07 am
zvenx wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:25 am I don't know what the deal between Synapse and HZ is/was, but based on what I remember Urs saying about Zebra HZ, its more akin to what Bones said.
From memory I think Hans wanted a few additions to Zebra which was his synth of choice then (may still be) and Urs said ok i will do it but in exchange, would want to sell this and the presets you and Howard make.. I think that was the entirety of the deal.

This might be it:
viewtopic.php?p=4991803#p4991803

rsp
Ok. Then it is very generous from HZ because he gave is name, reducing the value of his name this way (if he sponsors every synth, the HZ brand will mean nothing anymore). Plus I guess he did some testing in order to be sure he is not giving his name to a shitty synth (unlikely with synapse though).

Surely that means there is a kind of friendship between these talented guys....
Even if he gave his name to a bunch of shitty synths, the vast majority of the moviegoing public would not know or care. Using The Legend HZ doesn't give you the legal right to say your soundtrack is "by Hans Zimmer". Or anything that might mislead people into believing that it was by Hans Zimmer. (Not that I expect his assistants or lawyers will be actively scouring the internet for people to sue because they mention Hans Zimmer in connection with The Legend HZ or its HZ presets.)

But these synths aren't shitty... and there are only two of them. The pre-HZ synths were far from shitty to begin with, so it wasn't that much of a risk (short of the developers going crazy or something).

Incidentally, is there a list of the Legend HZ presets actually used in Dune 2? It would also be interesting to know when in/in what parts of the soundtrack they're used.

Ou_Tis wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:56 am
Jac459 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:07 am
zvenx wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:25 am I don't know what the deal between Synapse and HZ is/was, but based on what I remember Urs saying about Zebra HZ, its more akin to what Bones said.
From memory I think Hans wanted a few additions to Zebra which was his synth of choice then (may still be) and Urs said ok i will do it but in exchange, would want to sell this and the presets you and Howard make.. I think that was the entirety of the deal.

This might be it:
viewtopic.php?p=4991803#p4991803

rsp
Ok. Then it is very generous from HZ because he gave is name, reducing the value of his name this way (if he sponsors every synth, the HZ brand will mean nothing anymore). Plus I guess he did some testing in order to be sure he is not giving his name to a shitty synth (unlikely with synapse though).

Surely that means there is a kind of friendship between these talented guys....
Even if he gave his name to a bunch of shitty synths, the vast majority of the moviegoing public would not know or care.
True. I would think the only people who are targetted by this kind of marketing (because, that's all that it is) are producers who do cinematic music. And then, there's the percentage of "Take my money" people who buy everything from Synapse Audio, no matter what it is, and how it is. ;)

I don't quite understand why someone would need 6 oscillators (apart from the "more is better" folks), but, I guess there are some people who wanted an enhanced version of The Legend.

intro wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am
Does it have NKS2 deep editing?
The full version supports NKS2 and MK3 controllers (incl. PDI and NKS2 banner).
Excellent! thanks for confirming!

chk071 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:04 pmI guess there are some people who wanted an enhanced version of The Legend.
Certainly the bloke who commissioned it.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:04 pm True. I would think the only people who are targetted by this kind of marketing (because, that's all that it is) are producers who do cinematic music. And then, there's the percentage of "Take my money" people who buy everything from Synapse Audio, no matter what it is, and how it is. ;)

I don't quite understand why someone would need 6 oscillators (apart from the "more is better" folks), but, I guess there are some people who wanted an enhanced version of The Legend.
Well I wasn't making philosophy. My point was just to say, in the same way Nike paid millions Michael Jordan to have his name on his shoes, some brand like Roland or behringer or whatever may pay to have HZ endorsing them. That is the way it is. And if you dilute your name (like Jordan going to New Balance, Adidas or whatever), the next brand to buy will pay less. This is pure economy and I have no interest to say if it is right or bad. I let this for marketing masterminds (which I am not).

As per who wants 6 oscillators, certainly not me, I bought it for the MSEG. Turns out that I was freaking wrong. I am playing with creating timbres with subtle additions and it is funnier and it sound better that I could ever have imagined.

Jac459 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:15 pm As per who wants 6 oscillators, certainly not me,
With 6 oscillators you are reaching the realm of additive synthesis. :D

Chris-S wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:23 pm
Jac459 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:15 pm As per who wants 6 oscillators, certainly not me,
Exactly ! Substraditive... Or chronologically, Additractive synthesis.

Jac459 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:15 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:04 pm True. I would think the only people who are targetted by this kind of marketing (because, that's all that it is) are producers who do cinematic music. And then, there's the percentage of "Take my money" people who buy everything from Synapse Audio, no matter what it is, and how it is. ;)

Well I wasn't making philosophy. My point was just to say, in the same way Nike paid millions Michael Jordan to have his name on his shoes, some brand like Roland or behringer or whatever may pay to have HZ endorsing them. That is the way it is. And if you dilute your name (like Jordan going to New Balance, Adidas or whatever), the next brand to buy will pay less. This is pure economy and I have no interest to say if it is right or bad. I let this for marketing masterminds (which I am not).
As has been said before, I highly doubt that Hans Zimmer was paid for this. More of a mutual agreement in the sense of a win-win for both parties. Hans Zimmer benefits from custom made software, Synapse benefits from a big name endorsing their product.

The other thing to remember about HZ, is that he was one of the founders of Ujam, which doesn't seem to be as highly regarded as I think it deserves to be, so he is already associated with a brand that has a less than stellar reputation. To suggest this association might lead to dilution of his brand is ridiculous.
chk071 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:04 pmI don't quite understand why someone would need 6 oscillators (apart from the "more is better" folks), but, I guess there are some people who wanted an enhanced version of The Legend.
That was also my thought when I first got hold of the beta but I was quickly shown exactly what benefits it brings. Try the demo and you might also gain understanding.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:16 am The other thing to remember about HZ, is that he was one of the founders of Ujam, which doesn't seem to be as highly regarded as I think it deserves to be, so he is already associated with a brand that has a less than stellar reputation. To suggest this association might lead to dilution of his brand is ridiculous.
I think you are mixing entrepreneurship and sponsorship. Making money by creating your company and making money by selling your reputation (a billion dollars market in sport) are 2 different things.

BUT

1 - I am absolutely no expert in marketing and contrary to many people in this forum, I don't pretend to be expert in everything.
2 - I don't give a shit about the topic of marketing, I was only saying that because I thought that HZ was a nice guy to do this kind of things for free. You may think differently and I may be wrong but really doesn't matter, nobody knows in this discussion what really happened.

Chris-S wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:23 pm
Not really though

Jac459 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:01 am I don't pretend to be expert in everything.
Oh, so now you're an expert on expertise. I see how it is. 8)
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:38 am
Jac459 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:01 am I don't pretend to be expert in everything.
Oh, so now you're an expert on expertise. I see how it is. 8)
Good one. Actually laughed out loud on this one.

BONES wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:16 am Try the demo and you might also gain understanding.
He wont. He has no interest in SA stuff, but still pollutes their threads.

Is that a thing? Why would the developer matter? A good product is a good product, it is of less than no consequence who makes it. People do the most absurd things.
Jac459 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:01 amI think you are mixing entrepreneurship and sponsorship. Making money by creating your company and making money by selling your reputation (a billion dollars market in sport) are 2 different things.
Not in terms of your reputation, they aren't. Endorsing a shit product or selling one will do equal damage.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”