Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:32 pm @Hink: Maybe the OP will change the topic title and first post respectively when there's more info.
Ask the OP, and the OP obliges. I'm a benevolent OP.

Look, if they can fix the zooming abilities for the editor, that's a massive win. Otherwise, the editor is still a major hassle to work with compared to just about anything else out there.

I prefer to work in midi clips not a poorly zoomed track editor.

Or being able to untab plugins so I can work on multiple plugins at the same time like having an analasys tool on a track while editing another plugin.

But I doubt they'll focus on that stuff.

xbitz wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:09 pm ^^^ I'm watching this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysXImu3yyq4

cloud integration 0-10
arranger and stuffs 10-16
sound variations 16-26
mix improvements 26-32
panning on multiple tracks, spitter visual representation on mixer tracks, audio clip versions
score editor 32-38
guitar tabs, drum mapping, voices
workflow improvements and new safety options 38-
(piano roll 41:53)

and PreSonus killed it ... :D R.I.P
Was in the middle of watching that video when it disappeared. This is actually a bigger update than I was expecting. The Cloud Integration and Arranger stuff is useless to me. But there's an articulation editor, some nice score improvements including the guitar tabs and drum mapping and also...

...gone.

Anyway, I guess it's out tomorrow? If so, no biggie. Nice job Presonus.

MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:06 pm Or being able to untab plugins so I can work on multiple plugins at the same time like having an analasys tool on a track while editing another plugin.
Hasn't this been possible all along? Just use the pin icon to "pin" the GUI of the effect you want to stay open, then open the other right from the mixer or inspector. Now you've got both GUI's open. It's been like that since at least version 2.6.

Or am I missing something?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 pm
MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:06 pm Or being able to untab plugins so I can work on multiple plugins at the same time like having an analasys tool on a track while editing another plugin.
Hasn't this been possible all along? Just use the pin icon to "pin" the GUI of the effect you want to stay open, then open the other right from the mixer or inspector. Now you've got both GUI's open. It's been like that since at least version 2.6.

Or am I missing something?
Maybe... I'm just dumdum in studio one 5 since I never use inspector type stuff and usually have everything laid out in front of me.

MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:11 pm Maybe... I'm just dumdum in studio one 5 since I never use inspector type stuff and usually have everything laid out in front of me.
Well, give the pin method a shot! I believe it'll do what you're looking for.

If you elaborate on your zooming issues (not sure what you're trying to do or having trouble with), there might be someone else who can help with that. I don't recall Studio One being particularly bad about zooming, but I've been spending my time mostly in Reaper these days.

MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:06 pmLook, if they can fix the zooming abilities for the editor, that's a massive win
Middle mouse drag-and-move feature is sorely missed too.
MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:06 pmBut I doubt they'll focus on that stuff.
Yeah, these aren't shiny new features that can be promoted with tons fake excitement :D But I've honestly no idea why stuff like this isn't being developed. Having a few options for zoom levels and focus is programming 101, any noob programmer would be able to write the code, it's just a bunch of conditionals, as well saving and restoring a bunch of numbers. Extremely simple stuff. Yet extremely helpful for workflow. I'll never be able to understand why DAW devs refuse to acknowledge and improve really simple stuff like this.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:40 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:32 pm @Hink: Maybe the OP will change the topic title and first post respectively when there's more info.
Ask the OP, and the OP obliges. I'm a benevolent OP.
:tu: :)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:14 pm
MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:11 pm Maybe... I'm just dumdum in studio one 5 since I never use inspector type stuff and usually have everything laid out in front of me.

If you elaborate on your zooming issues (not sure what you're trying to do or having trouble with), there might be someone else who can help with that. I don't recall Studio One being particularly bad about zooming, but I've been spending my time mostly in Reaper these days.
So let's say I have a 4 bar midi clip, in Ableton Live it will open just that 4 bar clip and be automatically zoomed to the 4 bar length.
Reason is kinda similar but instead of just showing the clip, it shows stuff past that clip and if wanted all I have to do is click the zoomed button and it will resize the editor to just show the clip I am editing.
Bitwig is the best of both worlds where to have a track and clip tab so I can choose how I want to edit.
Reaper opens the clip I am wanting to edit and really highlights the clip space.

Studio one is derpy and won't either zoom into a workable space and shows only track editing and not clip editing, I just highlights the clip length.

alberto_balsalm wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:18 pm Middle mouse drag-and-move feature is sorely missed too.
Sorely missed indeed. There was an extension called "Studio One X" that allowed middle mouse drag to navigate the project, and sadly, the developer pulled it.

That's a small thing that makes a big difference IMO.

MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:22 pm

So let's say I have a 4 bar midi clip, in Ableton Live it will open just that 4 bar clip and be automatically zoomed to the 4 bar length.
Reason is kinda similar but instead of just showing the clip, it shows stuff past that clip and if wanted all I have to do is click the zoomed button and it will resize the editor to just show the clip I am editing.
Bitwig is the best of both worlds where to have a track and clip tab so I can choose how I want to edit.
Reaper opens the clip I am wanting to edit and really highlights the clip space.

Studio one is derpy and won't either zoom into a workable space and shows only track editing and not clip editing, I just highlights the clip length.
Yeah, that's annoying indeed.

A modifier would be an easy to way fix that without breaking current behavior. Double click to open track. Ctrl+double Click to open clip (vertical zoom set to min/max note bounds and horizontal zoom to clip size).

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:25 pm Sorely missed indeed. There was an extension called "Studio One X" that allowed middle mouse drag to navigate the project, and sadly, the developer pulled it.
https://github.com/lokanchung/StudioPlusOne

There's an AHK script that works, but the graphics get bugged a bit when you're dragging (so it's not smooth), and the sensitivity is off (the arrange view dragging is way more sensitive than in the midi editor). It works though. It's pretty funny that most major DAWs have had this feature for years, a short AHK script exists and it's mostly working, but the devs still haven't gotten around to including it. It's just that I've searched for this issue a while ago (and stumbled upon the script), and people have been asking for middle mouse drag for years. It's something that I'm so used to from Reaper that I'm fine with the graphical glitches of the script.

If I understand right, Alt/Option Double click on event just does that .

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:01 am Hope MPE finally works for all plugin formats
Guess not - another company that seems to prefer adding more features to making existing ones work properly.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:31 pm

Yeah, that's annoying indeed.

A modifier would be an easy to way fix that without breaking current behavior. Double click to open track. Ctrl+double Click to open clip (vertical zoom set to min/max note bounds and horizontal zoom to clip size).
Hold down the option key and double click on the MIDI or audio event and it will zoom to size for you in the edit window.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”