Live 11 sloooooow vst scanning

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The issue stems from the fact that live follows links in the folders as well. So if you have a link to an external folder with presets or if the plugin itself links to a folder where its resources are, live jumps over there too. Then there appears to be a certain file type that it gets preoccupied with. U-He has links to their xxx.data folders and those contain a lot of UI elements as well. BlueCat Audio too. It's ridiculous that Live somehow goes through all these files every time on it's search for .dll-files.

I don't think there's a quick fix until they address this - but it's been like this for ages. I remember stability issues traced back to the fact that links led Live to faraway folders where it would kill itself on some .exe or .dll that was there. Maybe that's why it's taking so long: It's trying not to crash.

But why on earth can other DAWs handle this quite elegantly, say: non-disturbing/frustrating?

*scratches head*

At a guess, they've had previous support requests from mac users who had plugins without an extension - since file extensions were never 'necessary' on MacOS until OSX, and even then it's unusual for apps to care - and rather than tell them to rename the file they invented this 'scan every file, just in case' absurdity.

But you'd have to ask ableton.

kmonkey wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:34 pm
mcbpete wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:33 pm Do you have any Blue Cat plugins installed by any chance ...
Nope, no here, no BC plugins. Mostly NI, U-he .....
Just looked in my VST2 & VST3 folders and notice that every u-he product I own has a '.data' shortcut pointing to the themes and presets. If I add all the files in these .data folders Ableton is searching through (for some reason!) an additional 129 thousand (!) files during its startup scan

EDIT: Ah, looks like wasi has already mentioned that ^^^^

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”