Dune 3.5 - 20+ Skins [Size: Huge]+ Extras - May 2022

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:19 pm The total frame size of the GUI can not be set by the user by any means. By that, I mean via the scripting code that one can edit the GUI with.

I would suggest that you contact Richard of Synapse to make a request for support of 4K+ resolution graphics for Dune and to find out if it's on the cards for a future version.
Yes, I did also request this over on Synapse Audio's user forum at the same time as I posted this on KVR. This was Richard's response:
Good point, we will add a new skin resolution in the next update for 4K and 5K UHD monitors ... We can make the current skins work up to 8K approximately.

The reason we did not do this yet is simply that all the images will make the installers substantially larger and take up disk space as well. But I figured we could just have an optional download for 4K/5K skins to address this issue :)
THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:19 pm Most people find that large is best for them, whilst others find Huge is more than adequate, as it almost covers the full top to bottom of the screen at 1440p.
"Large" is barely usable on a 4K display. And "Default" even less so. "Small" appears almost "Postage Stamp" sized at UltraHD resolutions. And "Huge" is anything but at 4K. It's more like what "Default" looks like at 1080p (only even smaller in appearance).

In 2023, it simply makes sense to support, at the very least, '4K' display settings. Since that will undoubtedly be the base 'minimum standard' for many users displays for now and the foreseeable future (probably until the mid-late 2020s, when even higher resolutions will start to become more prevalent and commonplace, becoming the 'new standard' going beyond. Currently, 1080p and 1440p are for sure on the way out for many users of new Windows 11 or Mac devices (be they musicians, or otherwise).

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:19 pm I've yet to find a plugin that is entirely, all vector based, and I have hundreds of plugins on my system. I'd be curious to know of ones that are, outside a DAWs environment, which uses vector graphics for its GUI.
'Phase Plant' (and for that matter, the entire Kilohearts hosts & effects product-line) is a very prominent and popular example, which is 'entirely vectorial' (and what great plugins they indeed are!). Many other (if not most/all) native plugins within modern DAWs (as you yourself correctly noted) are also 'entirely vectorial'.

Many third-party plugins seemingly employ, at least some form of bitmap/vector 'hybrid' graphics for their GUIs, with an increasingly heavy emphasis on the vectorial elements in their newer update releases, rather than being entirely comprised of bitmap GUI elements, like many were in the past.

No doubt, as a way to help their plugins scale much better in UltraHD display resolutions going forward. Some examples being plugins like perhaps GForce Oddity 3, Sem/OB-E, etc. Even Fabfilter recently updated their entire Total Bundle plugins, to allow better scaling for 4K+ displays. And they look great, even though they still have bitmap elements.

Urs from u-he, also recently stated that they might also need to move more towards a more vectorial design philosophy for future updates of their plugins, to accommodate the need for better higher resolution GUI scaling support options.

I suspect most, if not all, of the market-leading synths will eventually become rather more 'vectorial' as time goes on, or at least incorporate better 'hybrid' scaling techniques, for the new standard of support for higher resolution displays.

Either that, or perhaps taking the (apparent) Synapse Audio route of offering additional/optional 'larger filesize' bitmap GUIs for such users. Which, I would also be perfectly fine with. As that's a more-than-amicable trade-off imho, in return for having nice comfortably large 4K+ GUIs for audio plugins.
THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:19 pm I see no practical reason for using 4K resolution for music production because most plugins will be practically unusable.
Only depreciated/discontinued plugins, which (obviously) won't get updated to adapt to the new requirements to support UltraHD displays as standard would be 'practically unusable'. Of which, I own very few. For example, all of Sonic Charge's plugins scale perfectly in 4K, except 'Synplant'. But that's okay, since Synplant 2 (which is due for release Q3 this year) will have 4k+ scaling. So in such cases, indeed, older/depreciated versions of plugins will no longer be comfortable at 4k, so users can just update to newer versions instead.

As I said, of the vast amount of plugins I use, most currently already scale very well in 4K (and beyond), whether they are Vector, Bitmap/hybrid-based.

Just wanted to bump this and say how much I like the brown cyberpunk skin, one of the nicest skins I've seen. Not quite compatible with Dune 3.6 yet.
Nice job! Will check out some of your other skins. :tu:

Also, Synapse Audio did respond to my request for a UHD version of their skin in the 3.6 update, late last year and it looks great.

It would be nice if other skin designers would also support this new GUI size format for DUNE 3.

Return to “Instruments”