I need a mic preamp.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i just plug my mic in my Tascam US-122 :-o

am i all wrong?

Wopelka wrote:i just plug my mic in my Tascam US-122 :-o
ARE YOU CRAZY ??? :x

No i don't know the preamp quality of the US-122... I just know that there is a big latency which can be ennoying...
You use a laptop ?

no laptop yet... but i plan to get one for... (let's dream) possible future live projects... :-o

you speak about latency - i didn't notice such a big one when using it with Sonar... and as long as you can use the special Asio drivers, it's fairly good.

actually, i've only known SBLive before... so my opinion doesn't really count... :oops: :D

Muff Wiggler wrote:On cymbals in particular you can hear the difference.
I suppose that would be useful if I were recording cymbals. I do mostly electronic music, so all my cymbals are already samples. This is going to be at least 80% mic recording, with a potential 20% for either acoustic or electric guitar.
whyterabbyt wrote:The VTB's not that big actually, its only about the width of my Tower case...
Obviously, you haven't seen my desk...

It's a bit cleaned up since this pic was taken -- new speakers w/o subwoofer, printer moved to lefthand shelf, no more stuffed animals, etc. -- but the lone remaining space I have is where that big drink bottle is in the pic. I think an Audio Buddy might fit there...

-David, who almost bought a Tascam US-122, but this forum talked me out of it.
DAVE'S LOUNGE
Podcasting the best in chillout, trip hop and downtempo music on the internet.
www.daveslounge.com

The vtb-1 is 8.5" (W) × 1.5" (H) × 5.0" (D).

So I'd bet it would fit on top of your shuttle xpc, or under your giant pencil holder. Jeez, that's a lot of pencils. ;)

I suppose that would be useful if I were recording cymbals. I do mostly electronic music
yeah, good point

very few higher frequencies in electronic music :hihi:

garret wrote:The vtb-1 is 8.5" (W) × 1.5" (H) × 5.0" (D).

So I'd bet it would fit on top of your shuttle xpc...
Perhaps, but it would be a little tricky to adjust the knobs. Plus, I'm saving that spot for a USB 2.0 drive enclosure. I have a 40GB drive up in here somewhere that I don't want to go to waste.
Jeez, that's a lot of pencils. ;)
True. Maybe it's time I finally got that sharpener...

-David, who suddenly can't stop buying stuff. :?
DAVE'S LOUNGE
www.daveslounge.com

i highly reconmand trying out
ART TPSII
you pay abit more, but you get alot more!
->the likeable warmth and fatness setting!
also look good! :lol:
http://www.myspace.com/dxlin
theres no right or wrong only like and dislike

how about putting up a shelf :shock: :?

scuzzphut wrote:how about putting up a shelf :shock: :?
I don't own the place where I'm living right now, and my roommate wants to sell in a year or two. He might find it hard to explain a random shelf on the wall to prospective buyers. There's also the fact that I'm the worst handyman in the world.

I suppose I could get a lamp table and push the trash can to the right, but I would have to stretch my budget a bit.

Besides, it's moot, because I've already ordered an Audio Buddy -- mostly on your recommendation, scuzz, so I'm blaming you if it doesn't work right. :wink: Seriously, though, I'll try the VTB next if this doesn't work out.

-David, who'll test it out this weekend.
DAVE'S LOUNGE
www.daveslounge.com

you need this :

Hahahah... I must be stupid too then... The few times I have used a vocal, I have plugged my mic directly into my audiphile, and than used Amplitube as the amp...

Maybe I should get a preamp too instead :S

Orbitutle wrote:Hahahah... I must be stupid too then... The few times I have used a vocal, I have plugged my mic directly into my audiphile, and than used Amplitube as the amp...
More power to you, then. Right now, though, $90 for a hardware preamp (incl. shipping) vs. $299 for a plug-in isn't much of a contest for me. Plus, Amplitube is designed more for guitars, and I'm going to be recording at least 80% vocals.

-David, certain there's no 100% right solution here.
DAVE'S LOUNGE
www.daveslounge.com

My mic preamp is Behringer MIC100 : small,great quality TUBE CIRCUIT(warm!),phantom,limiter ecc.for only 49Euros!!!
:wink:

The AudioBuddy sounds a bit thin. The VTB-1 is very sweet. The Behringer, while being decent value for money, doesn't compare with either.
...well officer, it was like this...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”