FirComp: Free lookahead compressor for tracks or busses, looking for testers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fircomp 1 Fircomp 2

bmanic wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:00 pm Quick first impressions of V3: Definitely like the attack of this thing more than the previous version. It's starting to sound pretty damn punchy now! Well done!

I also very much like the much longer release times. Now you can just "tickle" the mixbus with this thing set to moderate attack , long slow release with PD set to about 30% and you get awesome "mastering glue". Very nice!

This is a fine compressor now. Definitely recommend more people try it out and comment on it!

Oh and forgot to comment on just how awesome your preset sidechain filters are. I especially like the de-harsh filter type. Works very well as it says on the tin! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Cheers, glad you like it and thanks very much for your time testing it :D I am going to update the website in the next few days with an improved build that incorporates those changes with an improved GUI.

Also glad you like the preset sidechain options! Might possibly add more of these in future

bmanic wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:00 pm Quick first impressions of V3: Definitely like the attack of this thing more than the previous version. It's starting to sound pretty damn punchy now! Well done!

I also very much like the much longer release times. Now you can just "tickle" the mixbus with this thing set to moderate attack , long slow release with PD set to about 30% and you get awesome "mastering glue". Very nice!

This is a fine compressor now. Definitely recommend more people try it out and comment on it!

Oh and forgot to comment on just how awesome your preset sidechain filters are. I especially like the de-harsh filter type. Works very well as it says on the tin! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Additional update: the website, jonvaudio.com/fircomp/, has an updated version for both platforms with these changes but also has an updated GUI. Lookahead is off by default but can be switched on, and there is now a GUI slider for controlling the program dependent release percentage.
Last edited by jonvaudio on Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jonvaudio wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:16 pm

Additional update: the website, jonville.com/fircomp, has an updated version for both platforms with these changes but also has an updated GUI. Lookahead is off by default but can be switched on, and there is now a GUI slider for controlling the program dependent release percentage.
Hey man - link leads to a page at kvr which doesn’t exist.

i suppose that's the correct link:

https://jonvaudio.com/fircomp/

hth

perpetual3 wrote:Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:35 pmHey man - link leads to a page at kvr which doesn’t exist.
I typed the wrong domain :dog: Fixed now, it is jonvaudio.com/fircomp/ :)

Hi Jon,

How's FirComp nowadays? Is it ready for prime time, that is can I / should I make people aware of this little gem that it exists? :)

I find it most excellent and would love to share it's existence with the world. I was thinking of posting this over at Gearslutz but perhaps you yourself would like to do it?
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:13 pm Hi Jon,

How's FirComp nowadays? Is it ready for prime time, that is can I / should I make people aware of this little gem that it exists? :)

I find it most excellent and would love to share it's existence with the world. I was thinking of posting this over at Gearslutz but perhaps you yourself would like to do it?
Hello :) You are very welcome to post it to gearslutz (I don't currently have an account there yet).

There are some small improvements coming (minor improvements such as no click when enabling / disabling lookahead), but it should all be backwards compatible with the current version on the website :tu:

In the meantime I have actually been developing a distortion plugin (currently GUI-less but may share a test version at some point).

Edit: Latest versions with minor tweaks, for both Mac (Intel) and Win, are on the website at https://jonvaudio.com/fircomp/

The OSX versions are slightly older, but should sound the same (see below). But, due to some changes in the latest XCode version and other Apple-related changes, the OSX versions may not be updated to be the same as the very latest version (as on Windows) until after Christmas.

The OSX versions should sound bit-for-bit identical as the latest Win version, except under some circumstances while adjusting the parameters while lookahead is off. Also, the older OSX versions also don't have as good of a peak hold animation. So it's quite marginal but I'm still hoping to update them ASAP :tu:

yo, super nice plugin and thanks for making it available for free. just one thing you might want to change on the site - for windows installs you say copy to C:\Program Files\Vstplugins, but that's (usually) for VST2 plugins - for VST3 the path is C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 instead.

No VST2?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

sengoku wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:57 pm yo, super nice plugin and thanks for making it available for free. just one thing you might want to change on the site - for windows installs you say copy to C:\Program Files\Vstplugins, but that's (usually) for VST2 plugins - for VST3 the path is C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 instead.
You're welcome :) Yeah I think you are correct about the path, I will update that.
v1o wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:35 pmNo VST2?
Apologies for this, there will not be a VST2 version as Steinberg no longer issues VST2 licenses as of October 2018. (Developers who already have a VST2 license can still distribute VST2 plugins). If there is sufficient demand however, I will look to make an agreement with someone else who can "publish" this plugin in VST2 format.

Posted about this at Gearslutz where you can also find some audio examples. Will try to add a few more.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-pro ... miter.html

This is indeed an excellent compressor! It's very easy and immediate to use.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:27 pm Posted about this at Gearslutz where you can also find some audio examples. Will try to add a few more.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-pro ... miter.html

This is indeed an excellent compressor! It's very easy and immediate to use.
Cheers, checking out the thread :tu:

Thanks Jon for an excellent FREE compressor, it does things I’ve been missing in my toolbox. Interested to hear your distortion plugin when it comes around!

And I also gotta say thanks to bmanic, you have to be the most useful kvr user around. Always giving deep insights and analysis. Would probably have passed this one without your posts.

statue wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:48 pm Thanks Jon for an excellent FREE compressor, it does things I’ve been missing in my toolbox. Interested to hear your distortion plugin when it comes around!
Great, glad you like it :)

Return to “Effects”