Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancit wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:12 pm
wuworld wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:15 pm ... With projects mixed in Pro Tools.
Why on earth should I use the worst DAW for that...

...only the fact that it was the most chosen DAW for recording 2-3 decades ago doesn´t make it even considerable nowadays... it´s an ancient relict from which most people turn away from...
I always wonder where people take such knowledge from.

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:40 pm
Trancit wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:12 pm
wuworld wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:15 pm ... With projects mixed in Pro Tools.
Why on earth should I use the worst DAW for that...

...only the fact that it was the most chosen DAW for recording 2-3 decades ago doesn´t make it even considerable nowadays... it´s an ancient relict from which most people turn away from...
I always wonder where people take such knowledge from.
Dodgy forums>> :shrug:

:)

To try Bitwig & Reaper.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I left it mostly because I was lazy. I had watched a lot of videos and they all made it look so accessible which I'm sure it is. It was just taking me too long to learn it. So I went back to what I know best Cubase and Reaper. Not even sure why I decided to try something else.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:40 pm I always wonder where people take such knowledge from.
toonertik wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:41 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:40 pm I always wonder where people take such knowledge from.
Dodgy forums>> :shrug:
Just read the company forums where ProTools refugees landed after their odysee like Steinberg, Presonus, Apple Logic, Cockos... sometimes even Ableton...

Not very happy people... i.e. this topic here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=235010
I used Pro Tools professionally for broadcast television for 20 years and switched to Reaper last year. It is mindblowingly superior to Pro Tools in almost every way. I was extraordinarily fast on Pro Tools but Reaper has sped up the editing and mixing process even more.

Sound design as well is so much more intuitive when you aren't stumbling over road blocks and limitations. This is not even mentioning the plugin handling, where Pro Tools really sucks. Error message after error message.

I think more and more people will switch in the coming years. I hope so anyway. I don't ever want to have to go back to Pro Tools. The trouble is that so many professionals are locked into Pro Tools and are brainwashed into thinking that using other DAWs is a step down. That is exactly backward.

People are also intimidated by learning a new system. I get that. It was difficult at first but also exciting because every day was an epiphany. It only slowed me down for about a week, and from then on it was a breeze. I have to open up Pro Tools occasionally to look at an old session and the interface alone is like stepping back in time. ugh.

So it is dodgy forums then.

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:57 pm So it is dodgy forums then.
Hear, hear...

I haven't left Studio One yet but I'm getting close at this point. The darn thing crashes all the time and it's only gotten wore over the years not better. Presonus really needs to get in there and start focusing on stability. I bought and moved to Studio One specifically because Logic Pro was so damn buggy at the time. Now Logic seems to be rock solid. I've been making a few projects there lately and I haven't had to have my hand hovering over cmd+s like I do with S1 lest the darn thing crashes after a critical change.

I have projects in S1 that won't let me remove certain VSTs (NI plugins mostly) because the DAW crashes every time I try to remove them.
Last edited by apoclypse on Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

morelia wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:05 pm Not even sure why I decided to try something else.
Sometimes we try new tools out of curiosity to see if there's anything that we're missing. But it can be a real productivity killer.

apoclypse wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:03 pm I haven't left Studio One yet but I'm getting close at this point. The darn thing crashes all the time and it's only gotten wore over the years not better. Presonus really needs to get in there and start focusing on stability.
stable for me, I can't even remember the last crash I had and I have used it for years.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

apoclypse wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:03 pm I haven't left Studio One yet but I'm getting close at this point. The darn thing crashes all the time and it's only gotten wore over the years not better. Presonus really needs to get in there and start focusing on stability. I bought and moved to Studio One specifically because Logic Pro was so damn buggy at the time. Now Logic seems to be rock solid. I've been making a few projects there lately and I haven't had to have my hand hovering over cmd+s like I do with S1 lest the darn thing crashes after a critical change.

I have projects in S1 that won't let me remove certain VSTs (NI plugins mostly) because the DAW crashes every time I try to remove them.
As far as I've always read, Studio One is more unstable on Mac OS.

Bit of a shame really, I definitely think they should do something about it, and focus their workforce on that, instead of 40 new features and a new major version every 2 year.

I'm UK based and 85% of the people I work with use Logic, so I use Logic (and Live and mix in PT)
At some point two different clients hired me to do a job and when I asked for the files, they sent the Logic session, assuming that's what I use.

I still like S1 better, I find doing things in Logic like eating soup with a fork. It also has an issue with syncing automations when the session contains high latency plugins, but that's for another time...
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Seriously..

when I see threads like this

I realise they already came and here I am ..

with the rest of you folks...
:borg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

:hihi:

apoclypse wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:03 pm I haven't left Studio One yet but I'm getting close at this point. The darn thing crashes all the time and it's only gotten wore over the years not better. Presonus really needs to get in there and start focusing on stability. I bought and moved to Studio One specifically because Logic Pro was so damn buggy at the time. Now Logic seems to be rock solid. I've been making a few projects there lately and I haven't had to have my hand hovering over cmd+s like I do with S1 lest the darn thing crashes after a critical change.

This is the problem I've been seeing.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”