what songs made you an anti-fan?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bunny_boy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:59 pm There's a few bands where I've liked the early stuff, but later output does nothing for me (e.g. Dizzee Rascal, Mission of Burma). There's obviously loads of music I dont like, but it's just background noise
I've lost count of the number of bands where it went a bit pear-shaped after the first album (or maybe the first two).

and for some it's beyond their control. Maggie thatcher managed to kill thrashing doves' career overnight by admiring their video for the single beautiful imbalance on a Saturday-morning kids programme. (https://www.theguardian.com/music/2004/ ... atives2004)

though, realistically, though their first album was a breakout, their second album was pants. I got the impression the label wanted them to be more inxs. and they obliged. but not in a good way. one of them later wound up part-timing for death in vegas.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:47 pm I've lost count of the number of bands where it went a bit pear-shaped after the first album (or maybe the first two).
Yeah, Ive always found that interesting/ironic when contrasted against the 'you must learn all teh theory and skills' position some will opine.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:51 pm
gaggle of hermits wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:47 pm I've lost count of the number of bands where it went a bit pear-shaped after the first album (or maybe the first two).
Yeah, Ive always found that interesting/ironic when contrasted against the 'you must learn all teh theory and skills' position some will opine.
for jazz (and maybe blues) it's kinda true: they tend to get better with age, though it's often more of a U-shape. Lots of early promise, a difficult mid-career, followed by legend status.

but a lot of that may be just survivor bias. no-one's getting rich in jazz so the people who just about scrape enough together stick with it get a lot of practice hours in and they get *really* good at what they do before pegging it.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:51 pm
I'm not not much of a fan, but you can see that a bit in the writing of Irvine Welsh, I believe. He seemed, to me, more interesting before he cracked how a novel "should" be written
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

Pretty much every song played in public.

"You Oughtta Know" made me the opposite of an Alanis Morrissette fan, but only by virtue of being the first song I ever heard by her.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

i think an anti fan, requires previous fandom?
i could be wrong, although, then it's just "bands you never liked" :?

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:37 am "fight for the right to party" and reinforced by everything they did after.
Oh f**k yes. That's so bad that I not only dislike the band, I dislike their fans as well. Nothing brings out the drunk beefalos like that abomination.

Faith no more Angel Dust, another classic case of 2 first great albums and then...nothing.

Bob Dylan - Blowin in the wind, first song I've ever heard of him was already terrible and it got worst and worst each year, at least he has a consistent career, started bad and then got worst each year (by the mid 80's he already sounded exactly like Donald Duck).
Last edited by nirm123 on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mull of kyntire. :x

"Waiting on a Friend" - The Roling Stones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKLVmBOOqVU

It's so damn hard to ever listen to Jagger again without hearing the awful singing that this song brings out. Not only that, but it is the most sell-out, cheesy, sack-of-shit production of a song ever.

But I had to give a listen, to refresh my sad memories of it. That repeat line at 1:45 is the icing the cake. Holy shit.
Last edited by Dirtgrain on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

nirm123 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:27 pm Faith no more Angel Dust, another classic case of 2 first great albums and then...nothing.
angel dust was great!

patton did a lot of great work post fnm too.
including the vampire zombie things, on i am legend with will "the slapper" smith.

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:34 pm mull of kyntire. :x
The verve - the drugs don't work!

mine do :shrug: :D

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:36 pm
nirm123 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:27 pm Faith no more Angel Dust, another classic case of 2 first great albums and then...nothing.
angel dust was great!
Nop, it was junk following a great previous studio album (and a great live album as well).

Only later editions which included "easy" helped to improve it a tiny bit (it was a great cover of a great song and Patton showed that he could sound like a real singer again and not like a monster...well, at least for a while as what came afterwards was even worst).

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”