Auto-Tune inventor Dr. Andy Hildebrand wins Grammy and celebrates with limited time promo price

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:39 pm
Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:36 pm Now, I have no one to play drums, so I use a drum program. No other choice.
[...]
If I use sample-based instruments it,s because I have no other option.
:dog: :dog: :dog:

And where in God's name do you think would be the difference with pitch-correction?
I don't pretend to be a drummer. Some like to pretend they're singers.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:37 pm And I think you're overly defensive. Must have hit a nerve.
Nope, not defensive - agressive! Smugness tends to do that to me. I think it's a stupid, vile plague.

It's not about me. It's about me maybe fiveteen or twenty years ago, being somewhat insecure, then reading this thread.

It'd be a shame if you were allowed to potentially diminish the artistic potential of musicians who may be less confident in what they do than I am.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:14 pm Rationalizations aka 'everything within a DAW is a cheat' do not logically follow.
Rather begging the question; why not?

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:42 pm I don't pretend to be a drummer. Some like to pretend they're singers.
Ah, so now it's not about pitch-correction in general but just about some using it.

So now we're playing the goal-post moving game again - great.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Because it is, in my opinion, needs-based. We can't afford actual studio time, or hiring studio musicians, so we do it in the box.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

jens wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:45 pm
Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:42 pm I don't pretend to be a drummer. Some like to pretend they're singers.
Ah, so now it's not about pitch-correction in general but just about some using it.

No. I've been consistent. Funny how you argue, though. I am not smug. My talents are not extravagant. But they are mine.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm still trying to get my head around what the difference between say, distortion, compression, reverb or delay as effects, and pitch correction is?

What's the logic saying one set are fine, the other not so?

Absolutely fine to say you don't like the sound of the latter when audible, but it seems daft to imbue it with some manner of ethical deficiency.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:45 pm Because it is, in my opinion, needs-based. We can't afford actual studio time, or hiring studio musicians, so we do it in the box.
Using pitch-correction is as much needs-based. You can't drum for the life of you, it appears , so you use other means for it.

Yet you feel you have the right to humiliate others because they use pitch-correction on their own vocals? Seriously?
Last edited by jens on Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:37 pm
jens wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:30 pm
Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:14 pm No. Whatever musicianship I have was earned the hard way. I don't feel the need to compete on that level with anyone. AT is a cheat. Rationalizations aka 'everything within a DAW is a cheat' do not logically follow.
I think your argument is bollocks in its entirety. I mostly do all my music all on my own and I strive to make something I am happy with. I use the tools I have available to achieve that to an extent I consider appropriate. Nobody else can make that call. And of course I can't do everything perfectly, nobody can.

So it's always a compromise where in search of an optimal quality you balance authenticity and what you feel is still organic enough with other less authentic means to achieve your artistic objective.

Bringing in session musicians is not authentic. You didn't come up with what they play; at least not exactly that. I also means your music is less organic. It's pieced together basically.

Comping is neither perfectly authentic nor organic.

And also, perhaps the most important point:

the more you seek to avoid situations where your valued "musicianship" doesn't cut it, the more likely you are to stay on the safe side and the more likely it is that your music will suffer from being boring, derivative, stale and overly simple.
And I think you're overly defensive. Must have hit a nerve.
Just annoying that on the one hand we have folks in favour of innovation and experimentation, and on the other hand we’ve got those saying that using AT for anything is simply because somebody doesn’t know how to sing. Which if you listen to a great, artistic user of AT and a great singer, Justin Vernon (Bon Iver), it shows that objectively, the haters are misinformed and indeed wrong.

My old man used to bang on about Picasso painting ‘scribbles’ because he didn’t know how to paint properly. When I showed my dad Picasso’s realist work from when he was younger, he finally accepted that it was an artistic choice.

My old dad was more open minded than many on here born 40, 50 years later than him.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:49 pm I'm still trying to get my head around what the difference between say, distortion, compression, reverb or delay as effects, and pitch correction is?

If you don't get it, I can't explain it. I know that's weak, but those are FX. They add some flavours. AT is meant to give the illusion of a vocal performance that doesn't exist in reality. If I can't do something with an acoustic guitar and my voice, it isn't worth the bother. At least as a starter.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Anyway, thank god I didn’t get a bit pissed last night and buy Auto-Tune…
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:47 pm
jens wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:45 pm

No. I've been consistent.
Yes, you have been consistently irrational.
Funny how you argue, though. I am not smug. My talents are not extravagant. But they are mine.
You are the very definition of smugness.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:54 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:49 pm I'm still trying to get my head around what the difference between say, distortion, compression, reverb or delay as effects, and pitch correction is?

If you don't get it, I can't explain it. I know that's weak, but those are FX. They add some flavours. AT is meant to give the illusion of a vocal performance that doesn't exist in reality. If I can't do something with an acoustic guitar and my voice, it isn't worth the bother. At least as a starter.
The grand canyon or a cathedral don't exist in my house as a reality...I think.. :scared:

jens wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:52 pm
Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:45 pm Because it is, in my opinion, needs-based. We can't afford actual studio time, or hiring studio musicians, so we do it in the box.
Using pitch-correction is as much needs-based. You can't drum for the life of you, it appears , so you use other means for it.

Yet you feel you have the right to humiliate others because they use pitch-correction on their own vocals? Seriously?
Sorry you felt 'humiliated.' I don't go out of my way to humiliate others for their musicianship. So, stuff your ad hominem attacks, and grow a sense of humour, ffs.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

didn't les paul and his missus use varispeed tape for voice and guitar?

how high the moon?

Return to “Effects”