2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a Boog Model D, but the SE-02 does seem attractive because of all the MIDI driven control on offer.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Dammit, Fender have just released a bunch of Mexican made Acoustasonics for just under a grand (GBP), tempting, very tempting.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:08 pm Dammit, Fender have just released a bunch of Mexican made Acoustasonics for just under a grand (GBP), tempting, very tempting.
Finally!

I want one too :scared:

^^ Neat, tho I'd rather have a taylor T-series myself. Not sure I would buy a mexican fender either,
unless it was super cheap. I don't consider $1200 super cheap. :shrug:

Nothing wrong with them I'm sure, it's more about the value of it. Guitars are an investment,
the way I look at it (mostly). :) Otherwise I would have 30 guitars (again).

Added some Random*Source 4x4 modules to my banana corner.
The two boats and six of the modules in the lower-left corner arrived this week, care of our old friend Sickle.
I can't wait for the TKB to arrive!

^^^ I like the two thingies on the upper-row of the left unit, with Pittsburgh Modular knobs. Filters, modulators, or oscillators?
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

hope don is well :tu:

Birthday is the week after next, for which the adorable missus is getting (has got) me a Wasp. Shortly after that, I'll get myself a Korg Opsix. So I will be making some squelchy techno with ear-splitting digital screeching as icing on the top. My fervent hope is to annoy both the neighbours and their dogs. :D

I just bought this second-hand Tanglewood Discovery classical guitar and 4 D606 drum microphones by Pulse ...

s-l1600.jpg
61hnglZFCLL._SL1500_.jpg

Cost less than £100 for the lot. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nice! bargain too!

vurt wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:29 pm nice! bargain too!
Cheers vurt. I was the only bidder on the guitar. Got it for £25 (plus postage) ... thanks to Russ (The Noodlist) for the heads up on the microphones. :)

my acoustic is tanglewood, the ovation copy.
as far as im concerned its a lovely sounding acoustic, maybe not martin or taylor, but for my fingers more than good enough :)

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:35 pm ^^^ I like the two thingies on the upper-row of the left unit, with Pittsburgh Modular knobs. Filters, modulators, or oscillators?
On the far left in the top row is a clone of the Buchla 258 dual oscillator and on the right in that same row is a clone of the Buchla 291 dual bandpass filter. Both from Stroh modular. You can get them pre-assembled I think but I built mine. I wrote about the 291j here and the 258j here.

The 258j is one of my favorite oscillators. It doesn't do the standard wave shapes very well and I never really calibrated it but the linear FM is incredible and sweeping the wave shape control sounds really nice.

The 291j is supremely weird. It's kind of a vactrol filter but it has an FM input which can be modulated at audio rate. Each bandpass filter is actually a lowpass filter and a hipass filter in series. So you have variable bandwidth (which also controls the resonance) and the center frequency. There is also a crossfader which mixes the two bandpass filters, which makes it really nice as resonator.It can even get into some simple formant territory.

vurt wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:37 pm hope don is well :tu:
Yeah, he seems be doing okay. We chat occasionally but you know, I'm not the most sociable person. :lol:

justin3am wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:04 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:35 pm ^^^ I like the two thingies on the upper-row of the left unit, with Pittsburgh Modular knobs. Filters, modulators, or oscillators?
On the far left in the top row is a clone of the Buchla 258 dual oscillator and on the right in that same row is a clone of the Buchla 291 dual bandpass filter. Both from Stroh modular. You can get them pre-assembled I think but I built mine. I wrote about the 291j here and the 258j here.

The 258j is one of my favorite oscillators. It doesn't do the standard wave shapes very well and I never really calibrated it but the linear FM is incredible and sweeping the wave shape control sounds really nice.

The 291j is supremely weird. It's kind of a vactrol filter but it has an FM input which can be modulated at audio rate. Each bandpass filter is actually a lowpass filter and a hipass filter in series. So you have variable bandwidth (which also controls the resonance) and the center frequency. There is also a crossfader which mixes the two bandpass filters, which makes it really nice as resonator.It can even get into some simple formant territory.
Will check those out. TY :tu: Just noticed I had forgotten about being interested in the stroh modular dual mirror core osc. 8)
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”