I bought too many soft synths

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:10 amMetallica on banjo is just silly sounding.
Heavy Metal is silly, though, isn't it? It kinda works and these guys do seem quite serious about it, and about it being a bit silly. To my ears it does actually work. A good cover is never a note perfect rendition of the original, it's an interpretation. And the only Metallica songs I know are the ones Die Krupps covered in the 90s. I've never actually listened to any Metallica, although I have watched their doco.
Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:08 am Host8 - Basement Party Room : pad transforming into bass (0m20 to 1min)
That's nothing but the bassline being faded in from somewhere just short of 40 sec. Nothing in that piece transforms at all.
Host8 - Stranger in my room (0m34), voice.
Most likely just a pitch shifter with a chorus or something. But it's a voice not a synth.
Host8 - broken getaway - 0 35 bass
That's either a real bass player changing his playing technique or two different bass samples.
SebastiAn - Doberman. The way it transforms at 0m19
I couldn't find this anywhere to listen to. The closest I got was SebastiAn featuring Doberman but I don't think that song is what you were referring to.

If they weren't done the way I hear it, they certainly could be done that way very, very simply. No deep knowledge of Phaseplant or any other complicated synth required. In fact, 2 out of 3 don't require a synth at all.
hotmitts wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:53 amI'm not sure why Admins here don't ban people who are constantly rude ?
Because being rude isn't against the f**king law, FFS! Grow the f**k up!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:55 pm
Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:08 am Host8 - Basement Party Room : pad transforming into bass (0m20 to 1min)
That's nothing but the bassline being faded in from somewhere just short of 40 sec. Nothing in that piece transforms at all.
There is an org transforming into a rich bass. It could have been faded in/out but the result would have been lame.
Instead there is a spectral effect getting out the partials of the bass to make it sound like an organ.
Subtle but important to me. Obviously I started in reverse, from the bass to the org.
Host8 - Stranger in my room (0m34), voice.
Most likely just a pitch shifter with a chorus or something. But it's a voice not a synth.
The whole voice is a synth. No human involved. Not a sample to be clear. It is all spectral and formant filters.
Host8 - broken getaway - 0 35 bass
That's either a real bass player changing his playing technique or two different bass samples.
Again, no sample here. 100% synth generated. Impulse response and comb filters.
SebastiAn - Doberman. The way it transforms at 0m19
I couldn't find this anywhere to listen to. The closest I got was SebastiAn featuring Doberman but I don't think that song is what you were referring to.

If they weren't done the way I hear it, they certainly could be done that way very, very simply. No deep knowledge of Phaseplant or any other complicated synth required. In fact, 2 out of 3 don't require a synth at all.
For 1, I think you should listen again, morphing of sound does sound different compare to fade in fade out. It does matter.
For 2: if I was having a mic and a singer maybe. But here I can use the very exact voice I want by synthesising it.
For 3: well I would have needed to buy a guitar and practice for a few months.... It is simpler with physical modelling.

I have many sounds where I use complex phase plant routing, but there is none of it I couldn't replicate by layering multiple synths.
But it would just have been much more painful for me.
It is like for points 2 and 3, it is just added convenience but why wouldn't we want that.

For point 1, I don't think you can do anything similar without spectral processing. Well, you could have 512 synths each playing a sine wave but I don't think it is very practical.

If beyond extrem convenience, you want sounds undoable on older synths, as last time, I invite you to watch Alckemy videos in YouTube. I know it is trendy to puke on YouTubers but this guy is excellent and his tracks as well.
https://youtu.be/Kt4sAM1UuDg?si=TEAlSKAodPEYK-0q
You can go directly at 13 minutes.

BONES wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:55 pm Heavy Metal is silly, though, isn't it? It kinda works and these guys do seem quite serious about it, and about it being a bit silly. To my ears it does actually work. A good cover is never a note perfect rendition of the original, it's an interpretation. And the only Metallica songs I know are the ones Die Krupps covered in the 90s. I've never actually listened to any Metallica, although I have watched their doco.
Heavy Metal is as silly as hard Industrial EBM, Gangster Rap and Punk. Basically any music focused only on anger tends to be a bit rigid, which is silly. I of course like all of them, the only music I don't really like is modern country, the beer commercial kind. [I'm super picky with Indie Rock as well, most of it sucks.]

Back to the topic, no, I stand by my point, you have to know what Metallica sounds like to appreciate the banjo interpretations. Honestly they're having fun which is fine, but it sounds like shit even though they're not bad players, that's part of the humor of it. I'm calling your bluff, you would have to lived in a cave to not have heard Enter Sandman more times that you ever wanted to.

To be fair to Metallica their first three records are great, but they decided that being rich was more important than real creativity. I guess I don't blame them, but I don't have to listen to them either.

I sold too many soft synths.

nirm123 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:38 am I sold too many soft synths.
Your are a saint.

BONES wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:55 pm
hotmitts wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:53 amI'm not sure why Admins here don't ban people who are constantly rude ?
Because being rude isn't against the f**king law, FFS! Grow the f**k up!
edited - was in a bad mood
Last edited by hotmitts on Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dunno, maybe donate some? Create a "contest", pick at random, give to a friend?

I don't have that many vstis/vsts but i use random.com to remind me of the "outliers."
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

elassi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:26 pm Nothing wrong with Banjos for heavy metal ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc
I like this one
https://youtu.be/NeH9RFPW97A?si=IdhGGEfdUcUPaQVV

hotmitts wrote: Honestly -Go f##k yourself you f##king moronic cowardly sack of shit.
I cannot believe you actually came on to a respected public forum with well respected members and said "cowardly".

no such thing as a cowardly ozzy, not when even the snails are out to get you.

VOODOO U wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:22 pm
hotmitts wrote: Honestly -Go f##k yourself you f##king moronic cowardly sack of shit.
I cannot believe you actually came on to a respected public forum with well respected members and said "cowardly".
It's because I only know ten words in total

(I hope you're being ironic there BTW)

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:23 pm not when even the snails are out to get you.
I just slug 'em.
hotmitts wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:37 pm (I hope you're being ironic there BTW)
Is there irony? Haven't had my 6 shots of whiskey with jelly and toast just yet so not functioning properly atm.

VOODOO U wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:23 pm not when even the snails are out to get you.
I just slug 'em.
watch out for parasites

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:32 pm
I just slug 'em.
watch out for parasites
Damn freeloaders.

VOODOO U wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:36 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:32 pm
I just slug 'em.
watch out for parasites
Damn freeloaders.
tbh, i wouldn't mind freeloading so much, it's the brain eating, leaving you a vegetable one's that scare the shit out of me.
a tape worm, you can live with so long as you can afford to feed it.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”