Cubase 12

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Reassured that Cubase Pro 12 still supports Vst 2 with Windows 10 Home.
Last edited by Trancer on Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:33 am
EnGee wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:49 am Cubase is the only DAW that behaves like this in Wndows!
It's actually the only software I know which does it that way on Windows. Downright weird.
Yes, the implementation of the "new" Window navigation and mangement, I think they started it with Cubase 10 is a complete failure and one of the biggest isssues. There were much critics then, but Steinberg ignored it and still uses this awful window managment implemention. Beside It ignores all windows design concepts and rules, Cubase/Nuendo are the only programs totally incompatible with Power Toys Fancy Zone and the Windows 11 build in Window Managment tools.

Finally I hope they hear and understand the critics and rethink their implemention and fix it with one of the next releases - every other DAW and also their own Wavelab and eg. also Visual Studio do it much better and user friendly also and keep windows design concepts and rules intact.
Please listen Steinberg - make it user friendly!

tomtom1234 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:01 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:33 am
EnGee wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:49 am Cubase is the only DAW that behaves like this in Wndows!
It's actually the only software I know which does it that way on Windows. Downright weird.
Yes, the implementation of the "new" Window navigation and mangement, I think they started it with Cubase 10 is a complete failure and one of the biggest isssues. There were much critics then, but Steinberg ignored it and still uses this awful window managment implemention. Beside It ignores all windows design concepts and rules, Cubase/Nuendo are the only programs totally incompatible with Power Toys Fancy Zone and the Windows 11 build in Window Managment tools.

Finally I hope they hear and understand the critics and rethink their implemention and fix it with one of the next releases - every other DAW and also their own Wavelab and eg. also Visual Studio do it much better and user friendly also and keep windows design concepts and rules intact.
Please listen Steinberg - make it user friendly!
I only got Cubase on sale on friday, there are some features I like but so far, yeeesh...

Ok, here comes the vent...

I last used it back in 2000 (ish), and weirdly even though it has kind of had a little facelift, it feels pretty much the same, clunky and awkward, could it really be that they never done a re-write / re-work of anything at all? Could it be after all this time they just kept re-skinning this turd covered in glitter over and over and selling it on to the public and stamping the hype train down our gullets?

For the same reason I stopped using it back then, it will probably be the same reason I stop using it again...

I'm already fed up of:

- Trying to find documentation about 12 pro that is up to date, menu's have been renamed and options have been moved, and everything seems to be documented for some older version.

- VST Preset browsing sucks (especially when you have a lot of them), I like an easy tree list view with no nonsense in it as I often go, hmmm that would work and plug it in.

- What are those scroll bars, lol

- Now I added Valhalla to that and a few other things now I can't find how to open them again without going into mixer and then some other option to list them but not the volumes at the same time lol (I've seen it laid out better than this, so that's just me not knowing something yet)

- Why are there duplicate controls all over the place? Why are there multiple ways, each more convoluted than the other of getting to things but yet never making it any simpler or quicker? How did they even manage to do that ? :hihi:

It is now as it was back then, everything in sub menus, in sub windows, in sub screens hidden away in some maze at the bottom of a pit in some spanner icon that brings up another window.

- Arturia Keylab 61 MK2, just doesn't play well with it apparently and there are posts many many many years old about it. 2 days and I can't get the transport controls to work. I've managed to map the pots, sliders and other buttons however. I do like the midi designer thing and that you can assign certain macro buttons (whatever they are called) to a certain synth etc and it will remember them, shame they didn't give us more of those macro knobs however (it's just comical how they seem to start something but never finish it). Gone into scripting, arturias midi control mappings, cubases mappings, no joy on transport controls. Loved some of the responses from steinberg on some google searches, it's arturia's fault basically lol. Works fine in Bitwig, Studio One 5, FL & Reaper.

The list goes on.... I've spent more time on google, reading this and that, here there and everywhere, often from over 5+ years ago, and youtube than using cubase... It's like playing Elite Frontier for the first time, just without the fun :hihi:

The first thing I did was to map various tool windows to buttons on my midi controller, not a vst parameter... :dog:

I can give it 4 positives so far:

1. It has improved a bit since 2000.
2. I like the piano roll (but it's not hard to beat bitwig's piano roll)
3. That midi controller visual builder thing and persistent macros is nice but is unfinished.
4. It's making my love for BitWig grow exponentially :tu:

other than that... it's the same turd wrapped in glitter...

May steinberg's vst format be retired by clap and may all the other daw vendors circle steinberg like a pack of wolves and devour them, cleansing our computers of this monstrosity.

Who knows might like it in a year or 2 after a billion more google searches and youtube videos watched.... Oh wait, it doesn't have bitwig's modulators, probably not...
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

MegaPixel wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:30 am - Arturia Keylab 61 MK2, just doesn't play well with it apparently...
Just map it as a Mackie Control from Studio/Studio Setup:

Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 1.25.07 PM.png
As for other points in your post, well, I don't think it is easy and can be figured after all these years. For me, I have never left Cubase really since 2002 or so, so I can find my way around. However, I agree with you, it becomes messy especially for one monitor setup!

The best option on Windows for a traditional linear workflow is S1 IMO. On Mac I still believe Logic is king. It is well balanced between features and ergonomic design, but also has a learning curve (I think less than Cubase, but more than S1 of course).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EnGee wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:33 am
MegaPixel wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:30 am - Arturia Keylab 61 MK2, just doesn't play well with it apparently...
Just map it as a Mackie Control from Studio/Studio Setup.

As for other points in your post, well, I don't think it is easy and can be figured after all these years. For me, I have never left Cubase really since 2002 or so, so I can find my way around. However, I agree with you, it becomes messy especially for one monitor setup!

The best option on Windows for a traditional linear workflow is S1 IMO. On Mac I still believe Logic is king. It is well balanced between features and ergonomic design, but also has a learning curve (I think less than Cubase, but more than S1 of course).
RE: keylab mk2 integration
Nice one, I will give it a go tomorrow, I'm all cubased out at the moment... :tu:

RE: Multi monitor
I use BitWig on 2 monitors, but its super simple on BitWig, just display options and choose one of the duel screen layouts. I've not got to laying out Cubase the way I want it over a multi monitor setup yet.

RE: S1
Ye, S1 is definitely closer to Cubase than it is BitWig, I find the main component areas that make up a daw easier to use in Cubase than S1. Pref the mixer and vst/sample/midi browser on S1 though.

MegaPixel wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:40 am
LeVzi wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:15 am I don't get any of these issues, so i'd assume its hardware related.
How did you get cubase to be locked with the menu bar? See video above.
From what I see in that video, you maximize Cubase main window, then try to maximize the project window, and it snaps back to windowed ?

As i said, I don't have that issue, I do exactly as you do and stays maximized, and I have the mixer panel on screen 2 maximized.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

can confirm, it doesnt happen here either, windows 11 cubase 12, dual monitors

astralprojection wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:25 am can confirm, it doesnt happen here either, windows 11 cubase 12, dual monitors
Could be fixed when I start setting cubase up for dual / triple monitor use then, hopefully it is. But I most certainly wont be touching windows 11.

MegaPixel wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:30 am - VST Preset browsing sucks (especially when you have a lot of them), I like an easy tree list view with no nonsense in it as I often go, hmmm that would work and plug it in.

Do you mean organizing your plugins? or presets withing the Steinberg plugins (the Steinberg plugin "preset manager" does suck)? You can organize the plugins pretty easily, go to Studio -> VST Plug-in Manager and you can organize them in a tree view or however you like.

As far a the scroll bars, yeah they suck. That's my biggest complaint with Cubase is the stupid little scroll bars that make navigating a PIA.

Trancer wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:06 pm Thanks a lot for your answers.

Why would it not support VST2, when they said at the start of the year, that dropping VST2 was at least two years away?

Will other DAW's be obliged to stop hosting VST2 plugins?

Can Cubase 12.5 be expected this November or guess it is too early for it since Cubase 12 was released in March 2022?

rollasoc wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:06 pm
Trancer wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:06 pm Thanks a lot for your answers.

Why would it not support VST2, when they said at the start of the year, that dropping VST2 was at least two years away?
It's Steinber, they are EVIL...

VST2 x86 aka VST 32 Bit has been dropped though.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:17 pm Will other DAW's be obliged to stop hosting VST2 plugins?
No, but most already support VST3 and some are adopting CLAP.

seangm wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:31 pm
MegaPixel wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:30 am - VST Preset browsing sucks (especially when you have a lot of them), I like an easy tree list view with no nonsense in it as I often go, hmmm that would work and plug it in.

Do you mean organizing your plugins? or presets withing the Steinberg plugins (the Steinberg plugin "preset manager" does suck)? You can organize the plugins pretty easily, go to Studio -> VST Plug-in Manager and you can organize them in a tree view or however you like.

As far a the scroll bars, yeah they suck. That's my biggest complaint with Cubase is the stupid little scroll bars that make navigating a PIA.
I mean as in the organisation without auto sub foldering them oddly on the right side (clean organisation, clear information, no unnecessary sub folders and just as important getting your own content in there again in a clear and easily accessible and searchable way.

That media browser, if it were 2005 sure that would be novel :dog:
- not adding meta data on the wav file but in a db file? really? Both I would have expected...
- auto detection of bpm
- etc

File Browser - User Content - Audio Files
- Still not sure how to add files or folders to this list, its not part of the media browser lol

That kind of stuff...

If Steinberg wanted to keep up with the times grab a ML (Machine Learning aka fake AI) also for sample type detection and train it up on their extensive collection of samples I'm sure they have access to and have that auto detect an insane amount of data for you (loops, loop type, top loops, snare loops, breaks, kicks (one shots) etc etc). Its now being seen in many smaller vst's by even indy 1 man band developers. Eg Waves Cosmos, (waves lol), Atlas 2, XO are ones that spring to mind immediately.

Here's how the competition does it.
Also no messing about with the others, just add folder paths and it's all taken care of for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”