I need a mic preamp.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

another bump for the behringer mic100. Very budget version of the dbx mini-pre, but adds a bit of tube warmth (oooooooh.....) and has 48v phantom

Don't bother with the limiter section though, since it's more of a "turn off if too loud" button ...

now if only my Edirol wouldn't clip at stupidly low volume levels, I'd be laughing...

benw

Im suprised nobody has mentioned the Focusrite Trakmaster. As uber-budget pre's go its pretty good. Has a compresser and eq too. Team it up with a Rode NT1 and you should get a reasonible vocal sound. This combo aint no VT737 + U87 but it should do the job just fine for the cash.

I own DMP-3 and love it for its sound-quality and low-noise, so I think you can't go wrong with the cheaper AudioBuddy.
I use one channel of DMP-3 for Guitar and the other one for Mic with great results.
It has no tube(sound) in it, but I do it after recording with plugins (Voxengo all the time!!).

DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip

12AU7 tube (i've had the stock american one replaced with a new old stock Mullard)
48V Phantom Power XLR in
Line in
Front Panel Instrument in for electri cor electric acoustic guitars
S/PDIF digital out
AES/EBU digital out
multiple sample rates
tape saturation emulation
parametric eq
compresser
de-esser

Trackmaster.... DBX 376... Hmmm....

Reminder :P
Permanent4 wrote: I know M-Audio has a preamp, the Audio Buddy, which is within my $100-or-so price range

Permanent4 wrote: I don't have enough space on my PC desk to fit something that big.

-David

Huh-huh. That's what she said. Sorry-couldn't resist. And I have the maturity level of a 14 year old boy.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Given your budget another option is to purchase a small mixer, many of them use the same mic preamps as their more expensive companions in the same range. I bought one of these:

http://www.behringer.com/UB802/index.cfm?lang=ENG (http://www.behringer.com/UB802/index.cfm?lang=ENG)

Which is very quiet. It gives two powered mic channels with xlr inputs if you want/need them, plus two stereo line in channels, and I use the 'tape in to ctrl room' function as a volume control for my active speakers. It cost me about £60 a year or so ago.

Anyhoo, my tuppence.

Just tried the Audio Buddy. Testing on it has gone just fine so far. In fact, I think this will do the trick very well for now.

Thanks, scuzzphut, and thanks for all the other recommendations. I'll revisit some of them when I decide it's time to upgrade again.

-David
DAVE'S LOUNGE
Podcasting the best in chillout, trip hop and downtempo music on the internet.
www.daveslounge.com

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”