Make Noise - New Spectraphon Module

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Stefken wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:00 am Maybe you can try some nature sounds too. I kind of liked when they put bird songs through it.
And the module should feel right at home with an "O superman" cover. :wink:
Trying some stuff now. The set of samples I have on my computer is cut way back from what it used to be, but there is still a fair amount to play with.

Noisier samples sound more like AMing a drone, but something with a little more variation in the spectrum (dripping water in a cave, wind chimes etc.) is a bit nicer. With the Odd and Even outputs panned in stereo it also gives you some motion. Slowed-down vocal samples with Focus set really high/blurry and some FM and/or sync...

I have the Merlin Bird ID app on my phone with several recordings of local birds, I need to try those out. But I'm supposed to be working from home now, not staring at code while listening to Spectraphon, so I guess I better turn the synth gear off for now :D

Spectraphon landed! And the current state of the rack. I added Echophon to the rack for now at least too.

@vurt, yes another naked shot! Patching to happen later today.
IMG_2023-6-13-113538.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It is a beauty :love:

elxsound wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:41 pm Spectraphon landed! And the current state of the rack. I added Echophon to the rack for now at least too.

looking nice indeed :)

the array video cleared up some bits for me 8)
some interesting sounds too!

elxsound wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:41 pm Spectraphon landed! And the current state of the rack. I added Echophon to the rack for now at least too.

Nice! Definitely looking better than mine, which is still 100% apart and stored in boxes.
I got the new place, but haven't unpacked much as i got no furniture to speak of beyond a new desk which is too small for that stuff.
I need a couple more desks, but am still thinking about what i want to do with everything. :lol:

*btw did you get rid of that mindphaser thing?

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:20 pm the array video cleared up some bits for me 8)
Forgot about the video today! Going to watch the replay

pekbro wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:28 pm

Nice! Definitely looking better than mine, which is still 100% apart and stored in boxes.
I got the new place, but haven't unpacked much as i got no furniture to speak of beyond a new desk which is too small for that stuff.
I need a couple more desks, but am still thinking about what i want to do with everything. :lol:

*btw did you get rid of that mindphaser thing?
Moving is crazy tough!

Yup, I sold it off. I was always on the fence with it. It definitely has some great features but nothing that I took advantage of.

elxsound wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:45 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:20 pm the array video cleared up some bits for me 8)
Forgot about the video today! Going to watch the replay
i like the bit about clocking the array capture by hand, so basically it becomes like a step sequencer, and can snapshot different spectra for each snapshot.

you'll see what i mean, but it opens things up for me, having some interesting ideas!
that one day, i may get to try :party: :lol:

Yeah, I have barely messed with array creation -- just enough to find out it's another level of complexity on top of the rest and there are some tricks and gotchas.

To capture something like a filter sweep or a wavetable morph, manual clocking and knob turning does seem like it'll be the easiest way... like stop-motion animation.

Or... a Bitwig Grid patch could automate it. Square oscillator into a Phase Counter set to 64, into a Phase Scaler set to 1:16 ratio if you want 1024 steps. A reset button for the phase on all of them, and another button to block the pulses from the oscillator.

This would also work for converting granular sample playback to a spectral array -- advance the start position a little between clocks :D

foosnark wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:59 pm
Yeah, I have barely messed with array creation -- just enough to find out it's another level of complexity on top of the rest and there are some tricks and gotchas.

To capture something like a filter sweep or a wavetable morph, manual clocking and knob turning does seem like it'll be the easiest way... like stop-motion animation.

Or... a Bitwig Grid patch could automate it. Square oscillator into a Phase Counter set to 64, into a Phase Scaler set to 1:16 ratio if you want 1024 steps. A reset button for the phase on all of them, and another button to block the pulses from the oscillator.

This would also work for converting granular sample playback to a spectral array -- advance the start position a little between clocks :D
im kinda excited by the complexity.
i got in to modular precisely for "exploration of sound" and i think this is definitely in the realm of exploration. while it looks easy enough to get "a bass" sound from, as an oscillator, thats boring! the discovering how far we can push arrays, im thinking possibly, many different samples, and make an array where one step is a ratcheting drum, next step is a bird song, next step a synth.... and so on
because while some of it may sound shite, the way it blends between the steps to keep it fluid, could produce some crazy stuff! :hyper:

Agreed, a lot of the reason why this thing excites me is it's new territory, and new techniques to abuse :D

Kind of cool that Walker was like "this is new ground for everybody, so I'm still a beginner at this too". After how many months of testing prototypes? :D

Someone over on MW was asking why you'd ever bother to resynthesize an oscillator... the reason is partly because it resynthesizes it "wrong" and creates something totally new, and partly because even if it were perfect, it gives you new ways to modulate and mangle it.

the bit where he used an array of his voice in one side going through sam mode on the other side, and capturing the array from that, that was a very nice sound :hyper:

and the saw where he ended up with a sort of arp from picking out different bits to capture by hand, some interesting results even from a saw wave!

At one time it was pretty much intergalactic planetary > planetary intergalactic.

Has anyone put a supersaw through this thing yet?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”