Running commercial audio software on linux

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't wait to get BlueCats Acoufiend feedback machine. It's easy to use, the results are a delight, and the controls unleash the unknown, and the plugin brings in a new rush of creative energy, without requiring a stack of amps. Their Axiom Suite is the perfect host to future-proof guitars (and other instruments too)
Haven't had this much fun, in ages!

Acoufiend-Axiom-Replika.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This clip is an apeggiated Aurora pad sound from NI's Super 8 synth, sent to BlueCat's Acoufiend plugin, with the 'slightly de tuned feedback'' preset, followed by by a Replika diffusion reverb-delay preset. By increasing Acoufiends 'fadeout' control, I have this sound self replicating feedback of the arpeggiated synth output, so I can grab another instrument, and play along. :hyper:

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... AcouFiend/
FeedbackBecomesFlute.mp3.zip
Acoufiend-S8-Aurora.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I can confirm the Spectrasonics software works well with Wine-Staging and Yabridge. No probs at all. Also EZ Drummer works fine. I also have the M1, Wavestation from Korg softsynths working great. Just for google and so now and then visitors who want to try Linux. I still use Manjaro and it all is fine for me.

How do you play the files from Pianobook?

:roll: Hi, thanks for reporting your successes. Here is the app for hosting Pianobook sounds:

https://www.decentsamples.com/product/d ... er-plugin/

This has been stable, and a pleasure to use, includes a standalone version with the plugins. A lot of the sounds are also in Kontakt format, some with extra features not yet possible in DecentSampler. It looks like you're well prepared to install and use a version, if so inclined. Winter Voices, The Lamp,
and Array Mbira are a few of my favorite DS sounds.

I still can't register my Korg M1 :dog: Their process can't 'find'
the internet connection I used to buy it with :hihi: :roll:
Cheers

https://audioplugin.deals/

are offering Rigid Audio's Kontakt 'Complete Loop Bundle' for $19.95 that includes these collections:

Acoustic Isolation (2.2 GB)
Cinematrix (2.7 GB)
Plethora (3.1 GB)
SORE (3.1 GB)
Supine (4.8 GB)
Synferno (2.3 GB)

24+gig and untold thousands of loops when extracted, each preset groups a stack of them in four categories, easily mixable with sliders. Just scratching the surface of the first one, the interface is pretty straight forward, with lots of options to mix and match the variety, a teaser below, I layered and alligned two parts I had just recorded with Timemachine. EZ and fun :hyper:
Have a great Thanksgiving weekend. Black Friday need not cost a fortune!

Acoustic Isolation.jpg
Acousstic-Isolation.mp3.zip

Some good news, IK's UNO software editor is mostly working in a fully updated
AVLinux with winestaging 6.22. All the sound-shaping controls work, but
preset management is not working from the editor (works from the hardware)
and the arpeggiator at times seems to miss the users octave choices.

To be fair, the editors control panel settings has a huge range of selections.
The linux jackd and alsa midi ports are present for selection, as is my mAudio pci hardware ports, and in qjackctl, the UNO hardware is listed as expected. But between the two interfaces, I admit to staring like a deer in the headlights :shock: and getting lucky :hyper:

I have it set up so I can arpeggiate Hive and typical linux synths from the UNO flat-panel keys, and also play the UNO sounds from my Alesis QS8 synth keyboard, while modding in both the editor, and using the UNO's knobs.

Looks like it's $129 new everywhere now, so maybe a lightly used one can be had cheaper?
Cheers

UNO-editor-AVLinux.jpg

Tried the Viper demo in Ubuntu Studio, with Dualism playing the Viper sounds,
and U-he ColourCopy delay plugin effecting them. I have wine-staging 6.23,
yabridge 3.7 plugin wrapper, and linux Reaper 6.42 hosting them.

The controls, preset handling and screen resizing seemed fine in light testing.
Might need a beefy CPU and optimized audio, as is often needed on modern synths.

The demo fades sound periodically, so testing is easy, and saving options are off.
The archive expands into a folder, place it in your plugin path, yabridge users run

yabridgectl sync

fire up Reaper, and you're good to go. And there is a holiday sale atm.
I later ran Viper through BlueCat Axiom amp-sim sound-effects suite,
without issues. Could change presets OK while the dualism is running
it's arp sequences.
Cheers

Viper-ColourCopy dualized.png

Santa reports it will be a lean Christmas for me in 2021, but I had a spare-change jar with enough to cover buying the Aiyn Zahev Sounds - Prometheus Repro-1 soundset, lot's and lot's of fun and sounds to devolve, so even the (well-deserved) coal in my yule stocking will be bopping under the tree.

That Repro arp/sequencer is a beast, in case anyone is looking to tool-up
their arsenal over the holiday :hyper:

Repro-Prometheus-Repro1-dualized.png

This is AAS Strum Session effected by a pair of rakarrack panels. From the Strum manual, "Strum Session is a synthesizer dedicated to the emulation of acoustic and electric guitars. The synthesizer is entirely based on the AAS physical modeling technology and uses no sampling nor wave tables. Instead it produces sound by solving, on the fly, mathematical equations modeling the different components of a guitar and how they interact. This elaborate synthesis engine responds dynamically to the control signals it receives while you play thereby reproducing the richness and responsiveness of real instruments."

This is in Bodhi linux, based on Ubuntu 18.04, with wine-staging 6.23,
and wineasio chosen as the asio driver in Strum Session's audio setup
dialogue. No elaborate registration nonsense, just paste a serial number.
Currently $49 at

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... um-Session

and extra soundsets for $19

AAS-Strum Session.jpg

Here's the Strum Session plugin inside linux Reaper, with U-he ColourCopy

Strum-plugin-version.png

Arturia's ASC (Arturia Software Center), worked fine using wine-staging 6.22 in the latest AVLinux. After installing ASC, I used it to install and authorize their Filter-Mini plugin, apparently a quite full-featured Moog filter, followed by a 2021 Christmas gift of the Tape-Mello-Fi plugin, designed to emulate mellotron and tape anomalies/features in modern settings.

In the pic below, the linux Reaper 6.42 is hosting U-he ACE, effected by
Tape-Mello-Fi, and the Filter-Mini is on a separate track, receiving input from the ACE-Tape-Mello-Fi combo. The Arturia windows plugins were 'wrapped' for use in linux, by Yabridge 3.7, so a separate plugin appears as a linux vst with a .so extension, to be scanned and loaded by linux daws.

Knowing that ASC works at least in theses cases might inspire adventures in various Arturia purchases down the road.

Arturia-in-da-haus!.png

Gotta love companies like SugarBytes, who make great products
that aren't dwarfed by massive registration schemes.
My shiny new Aparillo synth, in PCLinuxOS, kernel 5.15
wine 6.0. using Wasapi, and windows Reaper 6.42 with a cameo
of ProteusVX, and the Dualism dual arpeggiator. :hyper:

Aparillo-ProteusVX-PCLinuxOS.jpg

This PCLinuxOS has a well compiled Audacity, that includes
the much needed direction control widgets below the waveform,
to enable easy precise editing. 8) Most Debian-based Audacity setups
can't do that, a bit useless for serious editing.
Cheers

Here's the free Zebralette, bundled with the Zebra2 demo, if you be skinnt
for a season, and also the customized Howardized Zebra HZ if you're
rolling in the dough, as the baker says in Brooklyn :hihi:
Both have great scalable gui's, in this screen Zebralette is larger than default,
and ZebraHZ is smaller than default.

With Zebra3 on the horizon, or maybe on over-the-horizon radar, purchasing
Zebra2 now, will get you a very nice discount on the new version,
should the sun hold out so long :hyper:

resized-zebras.jpg

This is great to know about the scaled GUI‘s. I’m using the 4K hardware on my Linux box. I’m currently working on a list of what I consider modern Linux plug-ins— meaning that they also work on modern hardware properly. GUIs that are too small won’t make the list.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

I think a few linux users are using touchscreens with Bitwig. That could be a fun time to research. Between 4k, and quality gui's , it's getting harder and harder to hide
the plastic...24" touchscreens under $400. I wonder if ACE cables are touch connectable? :hyper:

https://www.tigerdirect.com/application ... kwCjCECjCE

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”