KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:D

There's still 200 super clean, polished, "aliasing free" soft synths people can choose from anyway. ;)

Now gimme some character pulease. :P

chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:56 pm :D

There's still 200 super clean, polished, "aliasing free" soft synths people can choose from anyway. ;)

Now gimme some character pulease. :P
i agree with the desire for character, id like it to come from synth components rather than programme limitations.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:51 pm Even if there is aliasing (I'm doubtful...), I would hope that people would stop complaining about it. There are older VA's which alias like mad, and they sound absolutely wonderful. On the other side, there are those super polished, clean, sterile, you name it, modern VA's which make me yawn every time I boot them up.

I never bothered about the harmonics in Massive X, and I never even noticed anything in this synth or bx_oberhausen. Seriously, I doubt that any serious musician uses a spectrometer as the first action when he just downloaded a newly released synth. Sometimes it's really better to use your ideas. Maybe it's even those artefacts which make the synth sound interesting.
massive X is not a VA, or posing as an "analoughte warmthe mega synth" tho.

i didnt use a f**king spectro meter, i played the first loaded sound without FX enabled (because I hate it when synths drown presets in FX to cover sound engine) and I noticed it. Then i switched to 192k and it was gone.
This is not a freebie from 2009, this is a 199$ INTRO price "best thing since sliced bread 26-tube" thing from yesterday, where most plugin devs include switchable oversampling and have taken care about this type of garbage... in 2009.

Also, it took me exactly 1 minute of playing to discover filter lags as f**k and it took me another 2 that pitch bend doesn't respond the same way at different sampling rates.
now please tell me that you can't hear different pitch bend responses and you only play your synth solid C1 drone 99% of the time and you never automate filter AT ALL on a subtractive synth or some other bullshit excuse for a rushed product

edit: i also never said that the artefacts are objectively bad thing. I just said they're here. And that tubes don't have them.

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:18 pm massive X is not a VA, or posing as an "analoughte warmthe mega synth" tho.
Of course it is. ;)

No need to swear BTW, and, I really don't know where your massive anger is coming from. If you don't like the synth, just pass on it, big deal. :shrug:

chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:21 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:18 pm massive X is not a VA, or posing as an "analoughte warmthe mega synth" tho.
Of course it is. ;)

No need to swear BTW, and, I really don't know where your massive anger is coming from.
it's in my blood and it's not anger, it's PASSION

massive X is a wavetable synth and there isn't a single mention of "analog" on NI's page.
chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:21 pm If you don't like the synth, just pass on it, big deal. :shrug:
absolutely, hard pass.

last time i checked KVR wasn't a POSITIVE echo-chamber tho, so i can post my observations on a new thing i just demoed

never said i didn't like it, just said it's sloppy and it's not what it claims to be
Last edited by Ploki on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:37 pm
Calenberger wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:35 pm Why can't someone check this with Plugin Doctor?
Should not be too difficult to solve this question.
Screenshots prefered.
plugindoctor cant process instruments
Oh, my fault.
Developers, here is demand for a new plugin!

MX not only has the Monark filter, it also has a TB-303 modelled filter (Asimov), and a analog modelled SVF as well. It has the typical analog waveforms, apart from doing wavetables.

Why should it not be a VA synth?

Also, even if Knifonium would alias, I already told you that every VA synth aliases. It's a matter of the quality of the anti aliasing filters how much it aliases.

In all fairness, I really don't know why in every freaking thread there has to be a guy these days who has to play the party pooper. You may think you're on a passion mission, but, in fact, a lot of it rather looks like pure jealousy.
Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:22 pm never said i didn't like it, just said it's sloppy and it's not what it claims to be
I call BS.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:27 pm in fact, a lot of it rather looks like pure jealousy.
jealousy? of what? :D :o
chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:27 pm
I call BS.
well cool, i showed two examples to prove my point - Repro vs Knif, Knif 48 vs Knif 192
now please show me a clip where tube gear mirrors frequencies.
or show me an analog synth where filter knob lags.
or a VA synth where pitch bend response changes with sampling rate

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:32 pm now please show me a clip where tube gear mirrors frequencies.
Well, why would they? Digital vs. analog domain.

I really don't know what you're up to. :shrug:

I didn't really notice that the filter knob lags, BTW. Maybe I've missed something. I'll check later.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:37 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:32 pm now please show me a clip where tube gear mirrors frequencies.
Well, why would they? Digital vs. analog domain.

I really don't know what you're up to. :shrug:

I didn't really notice that the filter knob lags, BTW. Maybe I've missed something. I'll check later.
nothing, just pointed out my observations when i tried it (since people hyped it like crazy)

They wouldn't thats my point. Making something so natural and realistic as this thing is supposed to be and have it exhibit such severe digital artefacts cannot both be true at the same time. I'm questioning the integrity of the developer.

re filter:
yeh, try turning it with a mouse and observe the response. I didn't bother checking if it lags with automation as well, but given the weird sampling-rate dependent pitch-bend behaviour, i'm not holding my breath.

I really approached it with an open mind because I friend I generally think highly of recommended it, but after 4 minutes without FX turned off i was disappointed, so I tried to discover why - and just wanted to share my thoughts. simple as that

Calenberger wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:25 pm
Calenberger wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:35 pm Why can't someone check this with Plugin Doctor?
Screenshots prefered.
Oh, my fault.
A simple spectrum analyzer like SPAN does the job (if we're talking about aliasing).

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:44 pm show me an analog synth where filter knob lags.

I have to ask again: What exactly do you mean by "filter knob lag"? I just tried, and I didn't notice anything remotely like that.

Regarding the aliasing: I don't know really. There's a lot of harmonics produced by the amp. Check a pure sine wave with SPAN. Harmonic-a-licious.

Sort of like Massive X. Even though Knifonium adds a lot more saturation, as it seems.
Last edited by chk071 on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niowiad wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:49 pm
Calenberger wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:25 pm
Screenshots prefered.
Oh, my fault.
A simple spectrum analyzer like SPAN does the job (if we're talking about aliasing).
So, where are the proof screenshots?

Well... here's the proof that the sine produces harmonics even with a C2 note:
Knifonium_sine.jpg
I don't hear anything different even at C7.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And where is the aliasing?

Return to “Instruments”