Best for 303: Serum? Ana2? Pigments2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

AnX wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:54 pm https://youtu.be/KAp4_oZLVj4
Where do you buy this soundset from? I can't find it.

Spring Goose wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:38 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:57 pm Some are mistaken the 303 sound for a generic resonant square + shitloads of distortion ( which can be done by any decent synth )
If you want the 303 sounds , abl3 is the closest you can get to the real thing
I have ABL3, and i find it a bit tame. I'll take your word for it that it's the most accurate emulation.
The latest update 3.2.2 is as close as it gets
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:57 pm Some are mistaken the 303 sound for a generic resonant square + shitloads of distortion ( which can be done by any decent synth )
I have ABL3, and i find it a bit tame. I'll take your word for it that it's the most accurate emulation.
Mine's a Reason rack instrument. Does that make a difference? It says it's version 1.1.1

I think that Dune sounds better. Maybe i just don't like real 303 (strange but true?) although i do love acid bassline.

Dune's 303 filter is good , but you won't get anywhere near to get the accent right etc.. .
The accent on a 303 is not just a higher amount of velocity to filter/amp .
Accented steps with accent amount turned all the way down still sound different from non accented steps in combination with filter env/decay , just like a real 303 , abl3 emulates this (almost ) perfectly
There a reason why audiorealism spend the last 2 decades refining his emulation , and imho it is still the benchmark 303 vst to beat .
I am perfectly aware that some peole just prefer a resonant bass sound + dist and call it a 303 sound ..well then abl3 is not for them ...since they wouldn't even notice the subtle differences and nuances ..and the accent :)
Eyeball exchanging

Spring Goose wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:34 pm
Mine's a Reason rack instrument. Does that make a difference? It says it's version 1.1.1
I think that's the first vesion of abl3 ( which was first released for reason ) , I don't think it was ever updated ..
The last vst update was ...I guess a year ago , even better emulation + bass+ vcf trim
Eyeball exchanging

Yeah from 2017 my version is from! I've sent an email enquiry.

There's no distortion on my Ana acid examples.

Spring Goose wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:29 pm
AnX wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:54 pm https://youtu.be/KAp4_oZLVj4
Where do you buy this soundset from? I can't find it.
its free I think, there's another video with a link.... I did 32 acid preset patterns for it years ago, sounds very similar to this....

JoaquinAce wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:25 pm
The main "thing" for most accurate 303 vst emulation is the "slide" and "accent". That's what gave those squelches. Yeah, the filter contributed but if we talk authentic, its the ability to do those Roland slides and accents. The one emulation which has those and which work exactly like the hardware is....no surprise...the Roland 303 cloud emulation vst. It even has a line graph show the direction of the slide (up or down, makes a difference if you slide up to an octave or down, depending on where the accent is placed, especially for the "barking" sound). The tb-303 sound is not that "screamy" until distortion is added. This is where D16 added a decent drive to get it screaming, but their slides are not as good as the Roland cloud emulation. The D16 accent in a DAW piano roll is based off 50/50 velocity. So the bottom half of velocity you don't get an accent and then for the top half of the velocity, you get an accent for the midi note. Then you can do some slides depending if your midi note end overlaps with the next midi start. I like the D16 saw with a lot of distortion, but making my own sequences in a piano roll always takes more tweaking than using the Roland cloud vst and drawing my notes in. One of my favorite plugins for acid sounds is actually Transistor Bass of FL studio, but they don't make a VST format so I have to use FL studio as a plugin inside Cubase and then use Transistor Bass. And yes, Dune 3 is also great for it, but again, the slides and accents are not as easy to generate as with the Roland Cloud 303 emu.
I have both, ABL and Phoscyon and the ABL sequencer is easier to use, but not as "smooth" as that one in Phoscyon. I especially use the Phoscyon sequencer for midi out, because of the "fluid slide", too!

AnX wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:18 am surprisingly, the link still works

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A% ... pajwuk3bal
Thanks

NAD wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:32 pm
Tannaliini wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:48 pmAnd extra point if the synth can get that Faithless "pluck" sound (starts at 2.16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JEm4d6Wu4) :help:
I think that would be very hard to do without using a sample. You could do worse than starting with this: https://sndup.net/2ypp/d
Thanks for sharing! Just figured out how to download it :hihi:

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 pm The latest update 3.2.2 is as close as it gets
Agreed ABL is the best software emulation of the 303 but it's £93, you can get Behringer hardware clone for just 30% more so doesn't make sense at least to me to spend £93 on software but not be willing to spend the extra £30 to get actual hardware that does an even better job at coming close to the original unit

Best emu: Roland Cloud Tb-303 (surprise :) )

The Behringer hardware clone is certainly nice. It's a bit brighter in tone than the TB-303 but I don't give a rat's ass as is has that Acid Vibe. I like sequencing it with my Roland MC-707 where you can in fact sequence the slides and accents and have them transmitted via midi. Nice 8) .
I prefer to store the sequences on my MC-707 and the MC-707 also has the different play modes like fwd, rev, fwd+rev, invert and random which the TD-3 doesn't have. Changing the play mode or clip length can yield very nice results and is a fun way to play with sequences without changing note information.

The Roland Cloud TB-303 also has these play modes by the way.

So for the best/most fun TB-303 experience I like to keep it in Roland territory (the original manufacturer).
Last edited by Stefken on Tue May 26, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Digivolt wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:02 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 pm The latest update 3.2.2 is as close as it gets
Agreed ABL is the best software emulation of the 303 but it's £93, you can get Behringer hardware clone for just 30% more so doesn't make sense at least to me to spend £93 on software but not be willing to spend the extra £30 to get actual hardware that does an even better job at coming close to the original unit
The behringer does not come closer to the original ( at least not without modding ) .
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Instruments”