Songwriting. What does that word mean to you? and how do you do it?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:33 pm where do you stand on "glossolalia"?
Great third album; shame about what happened to the drummer.

it means nothing to me ...
this means nothing to me ...

oh, Vienna ...

Double Tap wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:06 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:33 pm where do you stand on "glossolalia"?
Great third album; shame about what happened to the drummer.
Drummers are weird. I never understood their tendency to self-combust...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

ShawnG wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:27 am If you compose melodies, basic harmonic structure, and/or lyrics you are a songwriter.

If you work with determining song form and structure, deciding which instruments play which parts, and transpose music to be best understood by players of those instruments, you are an arranger.

If you make decisions and excercise editorial control over all the processes by which a recorded piece of music is created, you are a producer.

If you oversee the technical details of a recording session, you are an engineer.

If you play an instrument or sing, you are a musician.

If you do all of these things, you are probably hard to be around. Lol.

I am a musician, and a songwriter (past tense mostly). I’ve written a ton of songs that were once performed publicly, but never ever recorded, so I’m not much of a producer.
Oh! This made my day:)
However you did leave out one thing... If you write words to music you are a lyricist. Elton John songs would be nothing without Bernie Taupins lyrics.
There are so many permutations when it comes to the building blocks of a song that it’s almost impossible to define without the use of a very complicated Venn Diagram.
Suffice to say the most important thing is just to let go and start composing, wether you start with a word, a sentence, a sound, a finger or fingers on a keyboard, guitar... whatever, a vocal melody or sound, a beat, a concept. As they say “Free your mind and your ass will follow”

Double Tap wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:11 amComing from the king of self-contradiction, I'll take that as compliment. Thanks!
For example? I bet you can't even find one.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:58 am
Double Tap wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:11 amComing from the king of self-contradiction, I'll take that as compliment. Thanks!
For example? I bet you can't even find one.
Come on Bones, I don't take you seriously, and I suspect we'd both be better off if you returned the favour. Find someone else to fight with.

Oh, right, like I f**king started this. You want to make my legitimate criticism of someone's else's bullshit seem unreasonable and then it's my f**king fault for calling you out on it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The practice of telling stories with lyrics, melody and harmony.
How do I do it?
I don't, not anymore. I mostly just stare at plugin GUIs and feel sad.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Synthack wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:00 pm This bones fella gives off some bad vibes man
He's an opinionated Aussie. He likes what he likes, and doesn't like what he doesn't. and he's not afraid to tell you so, and he goes off into multi-quote word vomit a lot. And if he thinks that something you like and enjoy is stupid, he will say so. However, even in cases where I don't agree with his point of view, which is often, he's rarely completely off base, and often, he brings a point of view that is needed, even if just to quell some of the group-think that happens here. If you hit him with facts, as opposed to whining about how he made you feel, or running to a moderator to get him banned, he will generally acknowledge, which puts him above a LOT of other people here who will dig in to the death just to conserve their own pride.

Also, unlike a lot of people here, he walks the walk. He composes, writes, records music with his band, and performs it live. And while his style of music is not my style of music, his band is not bad at all. Bones stirs the pot, no question, that's not always a bad thing.

ShawnG wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:54 pm
Synthack wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:00 pm This bones fella gives off some bad vibes man
He's an opinionated Aussie. He likes what he likes, and doesn't like what he doesn't. and he's not afraid to tell you so, and he goes off into multi-quote word vomit a lot. And if he thinks that something you like and enjoy is stupid, he will say so. However, even in cases where I don't agree with his point of view, which is often, he's rarely completely off base, and often, he brings a point of view that is needed, even if just to quell some of the group-think that happens here. If you hit him with facts, as opposed to whining about how he made you feel, or running to a moderator to get him banned, he will generally acknowledge, which puts him above a LOT of other people here who will dig in to the death just to conserve their own pride.

Also, unlike a lot of people here, he walks the walk. He composes, writes, records music with his band, and performs it live. And while his style of music is not my style of music, his band is not bad at all. Bones stirs the pot, no question, that's not always a bad thing.
Why do people go out of their way to make excuses for bullies with longstanding patterns of hostile behavior? :help:

because disagreement isn't bullying, and being disagreeable isn't the same as hostility. I've made excuses for nothing, when I think he's wrong, I say so. (hell, I had an argument with him yesterday) I am merely suggesting that letting his schtick bother you might not be the best use of your time.

Winstontaneous wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 pmWhy do people go out of their way to make excuses for bullies with longstanding patterns of hostile behavior? :help:
The only bullying I do is to try and get people to answer the questions I ask them, to tease out potentially useful information. But you can point out to someone that what they are saying is making them look stupid and, instead of clarifying their position to give what they are saying more credibility, they get their bum in their hand and have a whinge about someone who is ultimately just trying to help them look less like a fool. Of course, some people are actually just fools so there is little point in bothering with them, other than to point out their foolishness, lest some newbie take their stupidity at face value. To put it another way - you're f**king welcome.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”