Sequential Trigon 6

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert101 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:53 pm Since I can't bring myself to buy a Trigon 6 at such prices, I'll have to make do with my Korg KingKorg instead.
I tried recreating some of my patches on Synapse Legend and it can sound surprisingly close, even the filter feedback works in a similar manner, but the resonance sounds better on the Trigon, and it seems to have better stereo separation when using the voice spread.
Tried that 12db filter feedback, with high resonance patch I posted earlier.

It shows that Synapse did some good modelling, and the Trigon-6 is pretty much a polyphonic Minimoog :)

I don't know if I will keep this Trigon-6, the limited modulation and features to price ratio is always on my mind.
And some other synths beckon me.

The KingKorg doesn't have a 12db Ladder filter emulation, but it does have unison and stereo detune, and so is able to produce those lovely polysynth type sounds. It also has a punch parameter, which makes it sound a bit like a monosynth, and so yeah, it is getting close. It even has XMod features, which I have no idea how to program! But learning. Also, 3 full analog emulated oscillators and 24 voice polyphony, no bad for a 10 year old VA.
<list your stupid gear here>

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/sequent ... the-legend

Trigon-6 followed by Synapse Audio the legend, Minimoog emulation VST.
3 oscillators and 12db filter with feedback

They sound so similar
I guess that means the Trigon-6 is basically a polyphonic Minimoog :)

Wow, very very similar. Nicely done.

She the has the feel of a Studio Electronics type synth.

Here is a live looper jam I did a few days ago.
Minimal onboard effects, and no external processing.

Used that high resonance, 12db filter sound from before, for the chords, dry.
Custom single oscillator 12db bass sound, also dry.
And two tweaked presets for the other stuff.

That's how she sounds in the context of a mix.

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/trigon- ... -processed

Noodle with the same bass patch from above with different settings.
12db filter with feedback. Sounds a bit TB303'ish :)

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/sequent ... ass-noodle

CoolColJ wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:15 am
I don't know if I will keep this Trigon-6, the limited modulation and features to price ratio is always on my mind.
I noticed on almost all Sequential VCO-based they kept the modulation stuff down to almost nothing.
- exception is Take 5 and maybe something else
- maybe due to that there is no analog path, all after filter like amp is digital.

But DCO-based REV2 also very extensive modulation with 20+ slots and 22 sources and 52 destinations.
- 4 LFO's open up so much as does dual timbre

But Andromeda A6 impresses even more in this regard.
- 79 sources
- not sure how many mod slots though

I would seriously consider an reissue of A6. It would be fun to dive into.

Get a Moog One instead? Just joking! Yeah, the sound is amazing but so too is the price. I am waiting for a possible Behringer Memory, but I doubt there will be one for years, if at all, and it will probably be around £1500.
So yeah, KingKorg, System-8, Minilogue XD covers me for now, but of course still lusting after the Trigon-6.

lfm wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:14 pm
CoolColJ wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:15 am
I noticed on almost all Sequential VCO-based they kept the modulation stuff down to almost nothing.
- exception is Take 5 and maybe something else
- maybe due to that there is no analog path, all after filter like amp is digital.

But DCO-based REV2 also very extensive modulation with 20+ slots and 22 sources and 52 destinations.
- 4 LFO's open up so much as does dual timbre

But Andromeda A6 impresses even more in this regard.
- 79 sources
- not sure how many mod slots though

I would seriously consider an reissue of A6. It would be fun to dive into.
Pro 3 is fairly extensive.
A polyphonic Pro 3 is what I want.... combine the Trigon and Pro 3 - 8 voices, with all their filters, and allow for parallel/serial operation between one of 4 Pole filters and the SEM filter.
And you have a dream high end analog polysynth

---
On the Andromeda there are 3 mod slot buttons, per section of most parts of the synth, ie each VCO, the filter, envelopes.
Some only have 1 mod slot.
And there is a further mod matrix type screen where you can view, modify these routes, C Routes.
Which is kinda hidden, so most people are not aware of it.

Add a tracking generator to modify modulation curves and signals

On the Andromeda, the specs are per voice, also has per voice step sequencer/Arp.
So it does act like 16 separate synths, and can do Polyrhythm sequences and arps.
Allows to create Wavesequence type sounds

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/alesis- ... nce-effect

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/alesis- ... sequencing

The Pro-2 nearly had it perfect, with four note paraphony, and two filters (Prophet and SEM).

So yeah, perhaps a Pro-4 with four note paraphony and three filters (Prophet, Moog, SEM) would shake the synth world.

But anyway, after comparing the Minilogue with the KingKORG I'm finding the KingKORG is actually good enough in terms of sound, has all those filters, three oscillators and 24 note polyphony and all the modulations you need. The only bad is the now old digital effects which can be solved in the box.

egbert101 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:12 pm Get a Moog One instead? Just joking! Yeah, the sound is amazing but so too is the price. I am waiting for a possible Behringer Memory, but I doubt there will be one for years, if at all, and it will probably be around £1500.
So yeah, KingKorg, System-8, Minilogue XD covers me for now, but of course still lusting after the Trigon-6.
I had a Moog One for about a year.
Amazing potential... ruined by intonation issues.
If you're expecting it to be anything like a polyphonic Mini Moog, it's nothing like that.

Probably the most frustrating piece of gear I've ever owned.
Sent it back to Moog... and they replaced the voice-cards.
They claimed they couldn't hear the intonation issue.
Got the One back... and it had the exact same problem.
Note that I'm not talking about charming analog drift.
It would spit out a completely sour note here/there... that just killed any joy of having/playing it.

I've not had a single other analog synth that had that type of issue (once warmed up)... including the Mini Moog Model-D reissue.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Made a comparison between the Trigon-6 and Prologue 16, with Synth brass sound

Trigon 6 first, with 12db filter mode

The Trigon 6 sounds thicker overall, but there is something musical about the way the Prologue's oscillators detune against each other.

And just increasing the attack on Prologue's amp envelope already adds a nice brassy pluck sound without touching the filter envelope attack.
Its like it has a Low Pass Gate instead of a VCA or something.
I had to increase the attack time on the Trigon's filter envelope to get it similar, but it's still quite the same

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/sequent ... ynth-brass

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/sequent ... th-brass-2

I bought both second hand to try out. Now I wouldn't want to not have either :cry:

The first example they're practically identical not so much the second. But I think considering the price differences, Korg did a really good job. I am definitely happy with my Minilogue.

I certainly couldn’t tell you which one was which in a mix. I was never a big Korg user back in the day, but the ‘logue series are really impressive.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

CoolColJ wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:32 pm And just increasing the attack on Prologue's amp envelope already adds a nice brassy pluck sound without touching the filter envelope attack.
Its like it has a Low Pass Gate instead of a VCA or something.
I nice trick on Prologue I find is to use pitch envelope intensity, just a tiny bit.
- help with pitch attack also
- work if sustain is zero on filter so stays in tune when env is done

For brass sound positive intensity, for synth bass negative to give a bit of glide up to pitch, kind of.
- just a value 2 or 3 or so on int

Sometimes does not work with what settings in filter env, but often does.

I wished for Prologue fw update to have made pitch envelope independent and not share filter envelope.
- would have been great

Great synth either way...but only have the 8....

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”