Hardware resale prices

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert101 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:27 pm We had an entire thread about the techno/trance thing. Smh.

viewtopic.php?t=601333
Thanks, I'll give it a read. Sorry, I hadn't intended this thread to go in this direction :lol:
"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

chk071 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:41 pm Then you need the JP-8k
My holy grail. One day... one day.

cryophonik wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:33 pm
Choikdoi wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:04 pm Although, probably more so for kicks, and I haven't done much research into that area yet. Does anyone have any that they use / like? I like the look of a JoMoX MBase11 or a Vermona Kick Lancet, or a Korg Volca Kick as a budget option.
For hard hitting kicks, especially for techno, I don't think you can beat Jomox. I've never owned the Vermona, but I did some extensive reviews of demos before I bought an Alpha Base a while back and I definitely preferred the Jomox.
Yeah, I was leaning towards that one for sound, plus it's cheaper anyway. Very tempting.

Choikdoi wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:26 pm Just purely as some general guidance / advice for if I wanted to sell it; what percentage of the price that you paid for something would you list it for, if it was only a month old and in perfect condition?
I haven't read the entire thread so this may have been answered but you can search eBay for the item you are selling and filter by "Show only -> Sold items." If you see several recent sales, this will give you a pretty good indication of the current market value.

Choikdoi wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:44 pm
cryophonik wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:33 pm
Choikdoi wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:04 pm Although, probably more so for kicks, and I haven't done much research into that area yet. Does anyone have any that they use / like? I like the look of a JoMoX MBase11 or a Vermona Kick Lancet, or a Korg Volca Kick as a budget option.
For hard hitting kicks, especially for techno, I don't think you can beat Jomox. I've never owned the Vermona, but I did some extensive reviews of demos before I bought an Alpha Base a while back and I definitely preferred the Jomox.
Yeah, I was leaning towards that one for sound, plus it's cheaper anyway. Very tempting.
On the more expensive side, you might want to look at some of the Elektron offerings, specifically the Digitakt (sample-based), Syntakt (analog/digital synth-based), and Analog RYTM mk2 (analog synth/sample-based). These are all more than just drum machines - they're complete grooveboxes that are excellent for techno (less so for trance IMO) and integrate nicely with your DAW via their Overbridge software. Just another option to consider.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:35 pm
The Cherry audio Octave Cat has actually a tiny bit more lowend than the Behringer Cat and actually sounded better because of it when i tested both here before i decided that it was not worth keeping the B-Cat.

So i guess you will hate the Cat if you get it since you did'nt like the Cherry one ;)
I was basing my impression off of a YT video where someone made a Techno bassline which sounded great to me because it sounded more meaty than the Cherry Audio low end. Obviously again down to my lack of knowledge of how to design the sounds I want.

Thanks, appreciate the info on that! I'm already much more swayed into going for a kick synth as my replacement now anyway, so I'll probably go back to the Cherry Audio CAT, if I decide I want that sound again later on.

Frantz wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:45 pm I haven't read the entire thread so this may have been answered but you can search eBay for the item you are selling and filter by "Show only -> Sold items." If you see several recent sales, this will give you a pretty good indication of the current market value.
Nope, that hadn't been mentioned. Very handy, thanks!

cryophonik wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:52 pm On the more expensive side, you might want to look at some of the Elektron offerings, specifically the Digitakt (sample-based), Syntakt (analog/digital synth-based), and Analog RYTM mk2 (analog synth/sample-based). These are all more than just drum machines - they're complete grooveboxes that are excellent for techno (less so for trance IMO) and integrate nicely with your DAW via their Overbridge software. Just another option to consider.
I'm only able to stick to a budget of a little over what I can sell my Monologue for, I'd say maybe $350 / £275 at most, unfortunately.

Choikdoi wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:10 pm
cryophonik wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:52 pm On the more expensive side, you might want to look at some of the Elektron offerings, specifically the Digitakt (sample-based), Syntakt (analog/digital synth-based), and Analog RYTM mk2 (analog synth/sample-based). These are all more than just drum machines - they're complete grooveboxes that are excellent for techno (less so for trance IMO) and integrate nicely with your DAW via their Overbridge software. Just another option to consider.
I'm only able to stick to a budget of a little over what I can sell my Monologue for, I'd say maybe $350 / £275 at most, unfortunately.
Totally understandable. Maybe throw the Elektron Model:Cycles (FM/synth-based groovebox/drum machine) or Model:Samples (sample-based equivalent) into the mix of considerations, then? I owned a Cycles for a short bit a few years ago and it was great, but too redundant with my other Elektrons. I've never owned the Samples, but I see pretty mixed reviews, whereas the Cycles seems to get mostly positive reviews.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Korg Drumlogue is pretty good for minimal techno. Currently going for cheap. Is able to play samples AND has real analog drums. It also has effects and a multi-engine DSP so you can put whatever software engine you want in it, when they become available.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/keyboards-p ... um-machine

https://youtu.be/eCVqPi5Jxx0
<list your stupid gear here>

Good shouts on the drum machines. Drumlogue probably still a little out of range budget-wise. Maybe if I can sell some software as well as the Monologue.

Choikdoi wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:04 pm I'm mainly into Trance and Techno, so I wanted to get more of an analog sound into the low end of my productions, which is why I was prioritising a mono synth.
The Behringer Odyssey is a surprisingly meaty synth. Doesn't sound like a real Odyssey but completely kicks ass. As much as I like the Boog, the Bodyssey is the first one I think of for the sound you're looking for.
If not a mono / bass synth for the analog low end that I want, I'd be interested in some drum hardware. Although, probably more so for kicks, and I haven't done much research into that area yet. Does anyone have any that they use / like? I like the look of a JoMoX MBase11 or a Vermona Kick Lancet, or a Korg Volca Kick as a budget option.
The Mbase and Volca Kick are excellent for both kick and bass. Useless for pretty much anything else but maybe that's all you need?
Choikdoi wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:38 pm True, but I'm not keen on how the current stuff sounds, heh. The allure of making things sound like they did in the late 90s / early 00s when it was mostly hardware, is one of the things that made me consider getting some in the first place, rather than sticking to just the software I've been using over the last few years.
Do you have the Virus port?

Choikdoi wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:59 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:42 pm I don't know about software sales affecting hardware sales. Software has been around and good for a long time. I can't imagine that all of the sudden people are shunning hardware to buy software. Even my GEM S2, which I use as a polyphonic aftertouch controller, can't be replicated in software, obviously. They used to be very hard to find, and get snapped up instantly because they are known for their high quality.
Well, it was true in my case. So, I just naturally assumed there may be others too. As I said, I was particularly talking about people like me who were taking their first steps into hardware purchasing. And, I was only relating to steep drops in software prices in very recent times, as I'm aware that software has been around for a long time now.

Even though the Behringer stuff has reduced the price of accessible hardware, with a combination of sales and waiting for good 2nd hand prices, you can still pretty much get the entire U-he soft synth collection for the price of 1 hardware synth, as an example. Or, Arturia V8 for $50 recently.
Right, I understand that, but there's a contingent of people who would rather give oral to a rhinoceros than use software, and those people are unaffected by software prices, no matter how low they go.There are always a lot of great deals around the holidays, yet I've never had the sort of difficulty selling gear that I've had recently. Correlation is not causation. I don't know how used software sales are in comparison. Maybe all sales have been soft this year. Maybe inflation is causing other things to be too expensive. I don't have enough data to say what's happening, I can just speculate. Maybe the high cost of living is forcing people away from hardware into software.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Uncle E wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:41 pm The Behringer Odyssey is a surprisingly meaty synth. Doesn't sound like a real Odyssey but completely kicks ass. As much as I like the Boog, the Bodyssey is the first one I think of for the sound you're looking for.
Yeah, I'd be very interested in that, if I had the cash.
Uncle E wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:41 pm The Mbase and Volca Kick are excellent for both kick and bass. Useless for pretty much anything else but maybe that's all you need?
It could well be all I need / want. I do have software that I enjoy using for the percussive drum elements. Would you say that something like the MBase offers up much compared to software equivalents such as Sonic Academy's Kick?
Uncle E wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:41 pm Do you have the Virus port?
The DSP56300Emu one?

Choikdoi wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:06 pm It could well be all I need / want. I do have software that I enjoy using for the percussive drum elements. Would you say that something like the MBase offers up much compared to software equivalents such as Sonic Academy's Kick?
I haven't used Kick. I haven't heard software that sounds as good as the Mbase. I'm pretty sure I'll be buying an Mbase for myself by the time this thread concludes. ;)
The DSP56300Emu one?
Yes. That is the droid you're looking for.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”