Softube Model 80 Five Voice Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:30 am I'm not seeing how it's clunky at all. I like the way it works and I like the functionality it offers. Who else lets you put avatars into your patches?
PSP has this in their latest plugins AFAIK

The synth sounds very nice, but, the CPU usage is crazy. More than double what Model 72 and Model 84 are using. I just sent Softube a support mail that I hope that they'll do further optimizations. Hope others do too. With that kind of CPU usage, most people won't be able to use more than 5 or 6 instances in a project.

chk071 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:49 am The synth sounds very nice, but, the CPU usage is crazy. More than double what Model 72 and Model 84 are using. I just sent Softube a support mail that I hope that they'll do further optimizations. Hope others do too. With that kind of CPU usage, most people won't be able to use more than 5 or 6 instances in a project.
This is probably why it doesnt have more voices, I'd also like a lower CPU version that could add more instances or voices
BONES wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:00 am
j wazza wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:29 amI was looking on the softube preset browser where there is no init...
Yes, there is. It's under "I" for "INIT". As I said, it was the first decent sounding preset I found in the factory sounds.
Thanks!
Last edited by j wazza on Wed May 03, 2023 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

accidental double post
Last edited by j wazza on Wed May 03, 2023 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

accidental triple post :lol:

j wazza wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:58 am
chk071 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:49 am The synth sounds very nice, but, the CPU usage is crazy. More than double what Model 72 and Model 84 are using. I just sent Softube a support mail that I hope that they'll do further optimizations. Hope others do too. With that kind of CPU usage, most people won't be able to use more than 5 or 6 instances in a project.
This is probably why it doesnt have more voices, I'd also like a lower CPU version that could add more instances or voices
I noticed that it permanently has that kind of CPU usage though, even when idling and not playing any audio (same with the other Softube synths, by the way). So, I'm not sure if lowering the voice count does anything.

aMUSEd wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:35 pm
christian f. wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:31 pm They're not similar to me at all.
First impression, I think the oscillators and envelopes sound better on the M80 and the filter (especially w high resonance) better on Repro.

Overall, when playing and turning knobs, Repro has the musical vintage analog vibe and the M80 sounds kind of bland and generic.
As much as I LOVE Softube , I don't think they did a great job here other than making it available for Modular.
I feel the same about their MiniMoog - the UA one and the Moog one are way livelier and much more fun to play
Same here :)
Love their Sh 101 and Juno 106 Emulation but their Minimoog is missing something in the Feedback knob behavior.
Last edited by D-Fusion on Fri May 05, 2023 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arturia prophet 5 or Uhe repro 5 or Softube what is good for cpu and sound ?
Studio one fan
JKSOUND - Sound Design.
Soundbanks, Production and other music-related products.

jksound wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:48 pm Arturia prophet 5 or Uhe repro 5 or Softube what is good for cpu and sound ?
I have all 3 (well, the Softube demo). See my earlier post in the thread for my opinions on why RePro-5/1 is the best.

jksound wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:48 pm Arturia prophet 5 or Uhe repro 5 or Softube what is good for cpu and sound ?
I don't know but I'm pretty happy with repro and arturia for prophets. And unlike the softube moog and 101, I don't really care about having prophet modules on modular.

I don't think this was a good/competitive choice. They could have done something that hasn't been done so well yet, like an arp2600 before arturia redoes theirs. And those modules would be great for modular.

I have all three (demo for Softube version).
Used to play a real Prophet 5. The Softube version edges Uhe relative to sound.
Softube have an ability to sound like you've just plugged your headphones into hardware.

I'm still evaluating but right now I'm preferring the raw sound of Softube more.

EDIT UPDATE: It takes a while but I can get the Uhe to sound identical to the Softube version. Soundwise they can sound identical.

D-Fusion wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:15 pm
Lbdunequest wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:11 pm
Ploki wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:50 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:21 pm A lot of U-He Repros are already on sale...
not sure why. It's not better than Repro.
Not worse either.
But not better. :party:
Mod-Matrix + Effects + Included Repro-1 with a sequencer makes it better but not worse :-)
+ More polyphony and user friendly Copy protection :)
+ MPE and soon to be CLAP version with PolyMod

The instant reaction here was another Prophet 5? Don't get me wrong. I am a big fan of Softube and I applaud their endeavours into synthland. But ... I don't know. The endless replications of the Top Ten synths is starting to lose its shine on me.

I feel it's super cool and meh at the same time :hihi:
BROKEN TECHNO for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Here's a tip for anyone comparing different Prophet emulations: if you're trying to dial in the Filter Frequency of a Prophet, the semi-tone stepping is super helpful for comparison between different Prophets. Just drop down OSC1+2 volumes to zero, and bring the Resonance up to where the filter is self-oscillating. The semi-tone quantization of the filter makes it easy to make sure you've got the frequency set the same on both emulations (or the hardware). You can even throw in a tuner FX if you don't trust your ear. Note: you can get variations per voice if using any vintage/age/slop features so watch out for that. Once you know you've got the filters tuned to the correct frequency, you can put the resonance back where you want it and bring up the volumes of OSC1/2.
cyberheater wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:47 pm EDIT UPDATE: It takes a while but I can get the Uhe to sound identical to the Softube version. Soundwise they can sound identical.
I've got a Prophet-10 Rev 4, and IMO, they can all sound very close. In my experience, it's easier to get the U-he and Softube dialed in to sound similar than either of those to the hardware just based on knob/pot values. Makes some sense as both are "Rev 3's" but I was surprised at how closely you can dial in them in just by eyeballing the pots. The hardware Rev 4 values aren't as close. Neither are the Arturia, but that's a Rev 2.

chk071 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:20 am
j wazza wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:58 am
I noticed that it permanently has that kind of CPU usage though, even when idling and not playing any audio (same with the other Softube synths, by the way). So, I'm not sure if lowering the voice count does anything.
It seems that all voices are processed even when not played , so the only way to lower the cpu is to reduce the(global) voice count .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”