Guitars are too physically demanding and painful to learn.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I prefer to hold the guitar upside down...Image

Show off.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

lunardigs wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:11 pm
GuyaGuy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:16 pm
lunardigs wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:36 pm Just a few weeks ago I got my first short scale (Gibson style) guitar. In specific, an Ibanez as93fm, which is an ES-335, semi-hollow copy ...
I drilled into my beautiful Gretsch to put a button at the neck joint for better balance. Not all guitars need the button there. Depends on the body shape and weight, etc.

There's probably not consensus on what is considered short scale but I think of short scale as 24" or even shorter like on Fender Mustangs and Duosonics. For me Gibson's 24.75" is kind of "medium," being shorter than a Tele but longer than a Mustang or PRS. For me the neck size and fretboard width are probably more important than the scale. But we all have different hands and preferences!
I just checked the fret board radius on my Tele (9.75") and AS93 (12") ... interesting

Ultimately, I'd say the two guitars make me want to play different things. As in different attitudes.

So did your Gretch modification work out well?
I have a 5 string bass I'd like to perhaps modify in the same way.
Yep! It didn't have crazy neck dive but I like a nice 45 degree angle and it stays put now. Once I installed the button, I haven't thought about it til now. I've even seen guitars with buttons in both spots for people's preference.

lunardigs wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:36 pm Just a few weeks ago I got my first short scale (Gibson style) guitar. In specific, an Ibanez as93fm, which is an ES-335, semi-hollow copy ... Apparently, all my life I've played long scale/Fender style electrics. Which is funny to me now, since I never really noticed before!?
Just for the record, since you wrote "Fender style": e.g. both the Jaguar and the Mustang have an even shorter scale than your Ibanez... ;-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:12 pm
lunardigs wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:36 pm Just a few weeks ago I got my first short scale (Gibson style) guitar. In specific, an Ibanez as93fm, which is an ES-335, semi-hollow copy ... Apparently, all my life I've played long scale/Fender style electrics. Which is funny to me now, since I never really noticed before!?
Just for the record, since you wrote "Fender style": e.g. both the Jaguar and the Mustang have an even shorter scale than your Ibanez... ;-)
Hmmm, 24" I see .... Yet another guitar I've not tried
I'll have to keep an eye out for these

They were for students/noobs originally, iirc. Wouldn't mind trying one, but I have more than enough.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:54 pm
dellboy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:44 pm You wait till you get to barre chords. That's when the fun really starts. Ouch!
40 years playing. Still bloody hurt after a few minutes... :cry:
i feel like im never gonna play whole songs with them
what is jack johnson thinking man all his songs are barres id rather just add in an f or a b minor

Actually it's not nearly as bad as you guys make it sound... :lol:

the "trick" is to press with as little force as possible - especially beginners tend to press the strings towards the frets way too strongly, which can often even cause intonation problems. Try to keep your fretting hand relaxed and press down the strings as softly as possible. (But of course this also depends a lot on the guitar in question and the strings in use.) The most important bit is not to cramp your fretting hand (not sure that's the proper verb in English :oops:) - if you do, you can't control it nearly as well and the force ends up being applied to the wrong place(s).

But this is basically the same with everything: just watch some videos of race-car drivers - it tends to look like they barely touch the steering wheel.
And one false leg-swing may be enough to completely lose your balance when (ice/inline-)skating and you may end up flat on your face whereas the pros often barely seem to move their legs and yet they accelerate a lot quicker than beginners with all their wild leg-swinging ever could.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

These blundering chipolata bad boys were not built for any kind of sensitivity in the minimal force arena;

sausagefingers3.jpg

Sometimes I wonder how I manage to play anything at all. :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hmmm

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:03 pm Sometimes I wonder how I manage to play anything at all. :hihi:
:lol:

From what I've heard I daresay you're doing mightily fine...

They sell those crazy little silicone finger tips on eBay.

Loop Six wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:10 am They sell those crazy little silicone finger tips on eBay.
Those actually make it worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3NwKZXUlzQ
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Guitars”