bx_oberhausen from Plugin Alliance has landed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:03 pm Except Diva offers multiple sets of oscillators, filters, and envelopes
Sure but they all do the same thing, they don't allow you to do any more, just more ways to do the same things.
a second high pass filter, much more flexible LFO's, full ADSR envelopes.
Like I said, little things. Enough to make it slightly more versatile not "chalk and cheese", as was suggested.
Oberhausen and Diva are only variations on a theme in the sense that most subtractive analog synths probably share a very similar structure and layout. But Diva is capable of a much wider palette of sounds.
No, just a slightly wider palette, or subtly different. It doesn't have anything like DUNE's 3-op FM, ArcSyn's dozens of waveforms, Pigments' Granular engine, Thorn's Harmonic Filter or Glitch Sequencer. It just has the same basic things, with a few extra options so you can squeeze a bit more out.
Oberhausen is a nice little synth, but it is pretty limited compared to Diva. Even Obsession has the advantage of allowing you to tweak each voice which you can't do in Oberhausen and could do in an Oberheim 8-Voice.
Sure but what does that get you? Bugger-all in my experience. I'm much happier that Brainworx made it an on/off switch.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:04 pmIt's not amazing, it's not terrible. At $29 it's a bargain, at regular price it's a joke.
Sorry, but you're wrong. It is amazing, incredibly so. As I said yesterday, since I got it I have not opened Obsession or either of the RePros even once. Diva impressed me so much, I didn't even see the value in it at half price.
e-crooner wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:58 pmThere is so much empty space at the bottom, they could easily do it like this:
To what end? I am yet to come across a situation where I've felt the lack of a release parameter was limiting what I could do. And oberhausen is easily my most used synth over the past couple of months so if it was an issue, it would have reared its ugly head by now. It's something that would once have put me off but I discovered with Waldorf's Rocket that it just doesn't matter.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

PA has reset the code for the third and final time. It's SPOOKY-2999 now.

:borg: I am trying hard to resist bx_oberhausen.

^ Man that is indeed tempting for 30 bux.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:34 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:18 pm Yes, Diva has more features. But, Oberhausen sounds like a Oberheim synth. :)
Everyone's seen this old video right?

https://youtu.be/ca-vd1qwctY

Before the results were revealed, more people picked Diva as the hardware.
Yes, I saw it. I don't think you really got what I was saying though. If I try hard, and work for hours, of course I can get any synth reasonably close. It won't replace a synth which oozes the same character out of every note you play though. And, I'm sure you know that. Why would anyone buy a Oberheim or a Moog synth otherwise? If all that can also be achieved with hours or tedious work, to get the same result. :P Where's the fun in that though, and where's the fun in an emulation. You might as well say you can achieve everything you can achieve with Diva with Synth1, if you just work hard enough. Which would kind of lower the authenticity a step again, because, neither is Diva a dedicated Oberheim emulation, nor is Synth1.

I've recently watched a video from the guy who runs Gearslutz (forgot his name again...) where he recreated a 303 pattern with Waldorf Quantum. Well, awesome, but... it just won't sound like a 303 with everything you do, so, I just don't see the point apart from "Hey, look here noobs, it's all up to you.". The paradox thing is that the guy owns tons of hardware, and a ton of real classics. I mean, it's fair enough to say that a decent amount of own work is necessary to get results, but, I just don't see reason why I would use Spire for Moog-y sounds if I own Monark, for example. It is much easier, and much more sensible to use a Moog emulation to create Moog-y sounds. And, I I don't have one, I'd go with the one which comes closest. See?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:04 am PA has reset the code for the third and final time. It's SPOOKY-2999 now.

Oh, for the third time ;)
The question is what will they do on Black Friday ;)

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:04 am PA has reset the code for the third and final time. It's SPOOKY-2999 now.

I know this isn't helpful, but... I'd just get it. Hehe.

4damind wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:02 am
Oh, for the third time ;)
The question is what will they do on Black Friday ;)
Business as usual! :lol:
Sale, Sale, Sale ... What is good for them is good for us I'd say :tu:
Oh, don't forget the December X-mas opportunity. :wink:

Curious about the Black Friday deals as well.
chk071 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:06 am

The only thing that's making me think is that I have Arturia SEM V, which sounds pretty decent to me. Not that significant, but it is possible to get bx_oberhausen for $14.99 with a voucher when it's on a typical sale of $39.99. I missed it a couple of times before.

Similar debate going on about CA2600 and ARP2600.

$55 for both bx_oberhausen and CA2600 is not bad at all since they sound great, but whether it's worth it since I have their equivalents.

So 15 bux during a sale, whenever that may be, with a voucher, and I'd have to wait for one of those to be given away. At Bkack Fri is it likely to be flat out cheaper?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:38 am So 15 bux during a sale, whenever that may be, with a voucher, and I'd have to wait for one of those to be given away. At Bkack Fri is it likely to be flat out cheaper?
No it won't be flat out cheaper. During the last two times it has been $39,99 (that's the cheapest it has been discounted to and I doubt it will be cheaper during BF) and before that it was selling for $49,99 during the flash sales and last BF. And then it depends on the vouchers you have to combine.
Last edited by gondii on Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

gondii wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:42 am
revvy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:38 am So 15 bux during a sale, whenever that may be, with a voucher, and I'd have to wait for one of those to be given away. At Bkack Fri is it likely to be flat out cheaper?

No it won't be flat out cheaper. During the last two times it has been $39,99 (that's the cheapest it has been discounted to and I doubt it will be cheaper during BF) and before that it was selling for $49,99 during the flash sales. And then it depends on the vouchers you have to combine.
Cheers!

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:22 am Curious about the Black Friday deals as well.
chk071 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:06 am

The only thing that's making me think is that I have Arturia SEM V, which sounds pretty decent to me. Not that significant, but it is possible to get bx_oberhausen for $14.99 with a voucher when it's on a typical sale of $39.99. I missed it a couple of times before.

Similar debate going on about CA2600 and ARP2600.

$55 for both bx_oberhausen and CA2600 is not bad at all since they sound great, but whether it's worth it since I have their equivalents.
I think Oberhausen's filter is vastly superior to that in SEM V (which is, Arturia style, just a bog standard filter, and doesn't really have much of the character of the original's filter).

You know, I was waiting for BF to buy Super 8. I really like it's sound, but tried Oberhausen only last week and it's just in another league, really.

Can't believe I just caved.

Great fun synth so far!

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:18 am
e-crooner wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:58 pmThere is so much empty space at the bottom, they could easily do it like this:
To what end? I am yet to come across a situation where I've felt the lack of a release parameter was limiting what I could do. And oberhausen is easily my most used synth over the past couple of months so if it was an issue, it would have reared its ugly head by now. It's something that would once have put me off but I discovered with Waldorf's Rocket that it just doesn't matter.
Well, maybe it doesn't matter with your sounds (for your music gate would be enough :hihi: ), but it sure would with many of mine. For instance, when I use an envelope for pitch modulation, I often need very different settings for decay and release.

And I am not the only one for whom those rudimentary envelopes are not enough.

Return to “Instruments”