Styx synths

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
eduardo_b
KVRAF
Topic Starter
11851 posts since 23 Nov, 2004 from west of east

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:26 am

I've been trying to determine what synths Styx (Dennis DeYoung) played. The only one mentioned is Oberheim. Never seen an Oberheim VSTi, making me wonder how popular this synth was in the 70s.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

M'Snah
KVRAF
3347 posts since 8 Nov, 2003 from Amsterdam

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:33 am

As you probably already know, there are some issues with the name Oberheim... There is at least one plugin though, and a couple of ensembles.

Tony Ostinato
KVRian
1477 posts since 14 Jun, 2003

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:35 am

i thought they used some moog also. Oberheim were very popular and we'd probably see some softtsynths of them by now except 2 different companies own the name and the technology now and they squabble.

theres one called OPX-1 or something close to that.

eduardo_b
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:36 am

M'Snah wrote:As you probably already know, there are some issues with the name Oberheim... There is at least one plugin though, and a couple of ensembles.
I actually don't know about this. Please enlighten me. :)

ew
KVRAF
9222 posts since 23 Jul, 2002 from Pequot Lakes, MN

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:50 am

eduardo_b wrote:
M'Snah wrote:As you probably already know, there are some issues with the name Oberheim... There is at least one plugin though, and a couple of ensembles.
I actually don't know about this. Please enlighten me. :)
OK... the Oberheim name was bought by Gibson in the '90s. At this time, the only products that were being made was the autotune plugin and the OB-12. The OB-12 was actually being built by Viscount in Italy, so Gibson ceded them partial rights to the name...

Add to that the fact that Marcus Ryle (the main designer of the OB-8 and the Matrix/Xpander series, and the holder of a lot of the patents for said instruments) works for Line6 these days (which is rumored to be entering the synth market sometime soon), and...

ew
A spectral heretic...

Tony Ostinato
KVRian
1477 posts since 14 Jun, 2003

M'Snah
KVRAF
3347 posts since 8 Nov, 2003 from Amsterdam

Tony already answered that, there are legal trademark issues with the name Oberheim, making it impossible for anyone to use it.

The Crow Gold ensemble package contains a few Oberheim-ish instruments (I'm not familiar enough with the old Oberheims to judge the sounds), and there's the OPX-1 in both Reaktor and VST format (IIRC).

Unfortunately my Oberheim OB12 is not a real Oberheim :(.

EDIT: I'm too slow in replying :).

ew
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:01 pm

M'Snah wrote:Tony already answered that, there are legal trademark issues with the name Oberheim, making it impossible for anyone to use it.

The Crow Gold ensemble package contains a few Oberheim-ish instruments (I'm not familiar enough with the old Oberheims to judge the sounds), and there's the OPX-1 in both Reaktor and VST format (IIRC).

Unfortunately my Oberheim OB12 is not a real Oberheim :(.

EDIT: I'm too slow in replying :).
The SEM in the Reaktor 3 (and 5- it's in the R3 legacy package on the install disc) library actually can get close to a SEM with a little tweaking- I've owned both a Two and Four Voice SEM system.

The Crow stuff from what I've heard doesn't do as well. There's an excellent Four Voice clone in the user library, but you have to run it at an obscene sample rate (88k or above) to really make it shine. I have an Eight Voice clone that I based off the Four Voice that I use in some of my stuff.

I've been working on a Matrix/Xpander clone off and on for a year or so; someday I'll have the time to finish it (I still own a Matrix-6).

ew
A spectral heretic...

tomg
KVRAF
5703 posts since 6 Dec, 2003 from Mission Control

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:32 pm

I have pretty nice one named OB-80 that's not available right now but the Micromodular also sounds very OB like. It does a pretty good Moog, Prophet and TB among other things.

In case you missed it, I did some demos today.

http://www.ele4music.com/plugins/micro_mist.mp3
http://www.ele4music.com/plugins/micro_sync.mp3
http://www.ele4music.com/plugins/micro_ ... trings.mp3

eduardo_b
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:15 pm

tomg wrote:I have pretty nice one named OB-80 that's not available right now but the Micromodular also sounds very OB like. It does a pretty good Moog, Prophet and TB among other things.
Dude, I love Micromodular -- sound and gui. But I see I'm one version down (I've got 1.03).

Been listening to Styx (the original band from the 70s) again after a long time and I've got synth fever. :lol:

tomg
KVRAF
5703 posts since 6 Dec, 2003 from Mission Control

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:53 pm

eduardo_b wrote:
tomg wrote:I have pretty nice one named OB-80 that's not available right now but the Micromodular also sounds very OB like. It does a pretty good Moog, Prophet and TB among other things.
Dude, I love Micromodular -- sound and gui. But I see I'm one version down (I've got 1.03).

Been listening to Styx (the original band from the 70s) again after a long time and I've got synth fever. :lol:
Thanks! It really is a good one. I played it all day and never once though it sounded like crap. The sounds I used for the demos were easy to get and sounded good right away. At one point I had 6 going, no problem. I like it a lot! :D

BTW the OB-8 is all right there. Everything you can do on a OB-8 you can do on the microm and naturally then some. It's going to be hard for me, to not recommend it for everything but I'll be cool. :D

dougsyo
KVRAF
3485 posts since 9 Apr, 2003 from NE Ohio, USA

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:12 pm

If you have Rhino, you can get Oberheim soundsets for it. I'm not sure how close they get to the real thing, but they're close enough to satisfy me.

Doug
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad - Spock, in "I, Mudd"

For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm

eduardo_b
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:23 pm

dougsyo wrote:If you have Rhino, you can get Oberheim soundsets for it. I'm not sure how close they get to the real thing, but they're close enough to satisfy me.

Doug
I do have Rhino, but have purchased only one additional soundset. Where are the Oberheim sets?

ew
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:31 pm

eduardo_b wrote:
dougsyo wrote:If you have Rhino, you can get Oberheim soundsets for it. I'm not sure how close they get to the real thing, but they're close enough to satisfy me.

Doug
I do have Rhino, but have purchased only one additional soundset. Where are the Oberheim sets?
http://bigtick.pastnotecut.org/djsmaurer/

ew
A spectral heretic...

Stupid American Pig
KVRAF
7065 posts since 25 Nov, 2002 from not sure

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:39 pm

Tom I gotta agree that I am not even all that interested in "analog style" synths and I really have taken a liking to this one. Top stuff man. BTW, do you have a store front here in houston?

Return to “Instruments”