FR theme: Performance/Graphics issues

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[title changed ... DarkStar]

The graphics issues discussed many times around these parts are definitely still here.
I hate to be the one sounding like a whiney bitch, i'd just upgrade my config and see what happens if i knew i'm the only one with this problem, but i've seen that it's not the case at all.

With the beta getting really workable, i've made a few projects that strain the cpu more than before, and i got glitches performing basically ANY action on the GUI.
On an empty project, moving the seq icon in main gives 40 to 60% cpu spikes ; pretty much the same thing as in v1.
I noticed that recording midi gives me glitches even with the midi track connected to nothing (that's still when my cpu is strained), i guess that's the drawing of the notes only.
One last thing that i didn't report before, when it starts glitching all over the place, if i try to change my asio latency in setup, it always makes eXT2 crash ; either right away when clicking ok in the driver's panel, or when playback restarts... Maybe a new hint.

With the release date approaching, i'm really worried this may be overlooked, i would be SAD to see XT2 plagued by this.

I'm thinking maybe you didn't get the reports, system specs and whatnot that you need for fixing this Jorgen.
So i just wanna say that i'm commited to helping in any way i can, just let us know what you need.

Cheers

PS : Some off topic positivity ; i didn't read much comments about this, but the shuffle is just plain awesome really brings life to about anything... ;)

edit : quick config
Intel P4 3.2Ghz
1gb ram
Nvidia geforce2 mx400 graphics
Windows XP Sp2
Emu 1820m with proprietary drivers
Last edited by disturb on Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

One last thing that i didn't report before, when it starts glitching all over the place, if i try to change my asio latency in setup, it always makes eXT2 crash ; either right away when clicking ok in the driver's panel, or when playback restarts
It's done this for me as well, especially when i've been trying to record audio into ext2.

Me too, the same issue on Latency.

Other bug I've find is a hang when changing the presets on ImpOscar. I never arrive to preset #10. :)

cheers

i have similar problems with glitchiness starting when theres some load (30 percent) on the cpu.

i wonder if this has to do with dual-core support? has that been implemented yet?
i am me and i am free...k thx bai

disturb>
Please help by being more specific. What is your system like. Processor, OS, June 1st beta?, graphics card, graphics driver, ram amount, sound card. Are you using ASIO 4 all? What were you doing on your project? How many tracks of audio, drum and midi and did you have many effects?

I'm not too sure Jorgen has the resorces to do performance testing. I'm sure some statics would be helpful. Maybe all teh people with certain problems have certain things in common.

I'll do some tests on my two systems and report back later.

Yes, the hangs occurs when changing the buffers size on latency control. Asio4all. Most of times when sequencer is running.

I hope it helps.

I hate to say it, but Asio4all is a poor choice for an audio driver (as good as it is for a temporary solution or if you really have no other choice at all). It's a generic driver, so its performance will only be acceptable to some degree. In huge projects you wouldn't want to rely on it, and proprietary drivers are more or less unavoidable.

Well i didn't mention my psecs, cause i did everytime i posted about this issue, and it didn't seem to help a whole lot...
Maybe someone knows of a freebie that makes a detailed report of your hardware/software config ?
Could be useful to crosscheck that from different faulty systems, maybe something will come up...

Anyway, i'll make a more in-depth report, in the meantime, here is the original thread @ energyxt.com
http://www.energy-xt.com/forum/index.ph ... opicId=480

Plastique: that hardly seems to be the problem though, since no other software (including xt1) has issues with it. Changing my buffer-size crashes xt2 here, more often than not

PC specs: 2.2 ghz p4 with 512 mb ram, running xp and with an E-mu 0404 soundcard with teh supplied asio drivers. First ext2 crashed I had one sliced up loop with a few fx on and a large chunk of audio i'd recorded in, I'd lowered teh latency on my souncard to record the audio in and when i moved it back and pressed play ext 2 crashed. Second time it happened it was just one chunk of audio and ext2 crashed as i set the buffer to max, third time it was one instance of cm505 with a few different fx chains on a couple of outputs, i'd recorded the chuck of audio in fl and had reduced my souncards latency there and not put it back, i noticed ext2 was crackleing when i was freezing tracks so i increased the buffer size and ext2 crashed again.

hope that helps.

HI

I can confirm very glitchy sound break-up: basically doing anything (moving windows/opening or re-sizing/using the mixer volume sliders) to the GUI during playback causes the onset of said problem.

Dual Xeon/ATI graphics/RME 9632 soundcard/XP Pro(SP2) ... and much RAM!

Flipper.

Yes, the hangs occurs when changing the buffers size on latency control. Asio4all. Most of times when sequencer is running.
well changing the buffer size when playing is never a good idea, even if you are in glitch and clicks. in fact, with asio4all, it's a bad idea to change the buffersize straight from ext. just close ext, make a4a settings, close a4a, reopen ext.

I've done more tests with changing asio latency and there's definitely a problem there.
If the load is high, eXT2 will just crash when starting playback again, if the load is low it works ok most of the times, eventhough i couldn't get a sound after increasing the latency once...

I'm thinking this is a different issue, non graphics related though, but they sure don't seem to mix well together.
Also added a quick description of my config in the first post, checkout the thread on the beta forum, there are quite a few system specs there ; couldn't see any similarities in those configs though.

Mighty Pea wrote:Plastique: that hardly seems to be the problem though, since no other software (including xt1) has issues with it. Changing my buffer-size crashes xt2 here, more often than not
I tried to crash doing this over and over but can't. :? Sounds like a nasty bug.

Return to “energyXT”