Any way I can mimic a 90's effects rack?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's say you have a sampler. And you're about to mix your breakbeat or whatever. But it's the 90's and you're limited to rack mounted modules. And I'm not asking for drum specific effects. Just anything in general. I'm a heavy FL studio user and loading plain plug-ins in the mixer is fine. I was wondering if there's a more authentic vst version. And yes we have this so called Patcher. But that's even worse than loading them in the mixer. It would be a great benefit if I could use other plug-ins in the rack emulation. Because I put a Decimort2 on everything because that's what emulates a sampler for me. I know about soundtoys and waves but those are pretty modern and not the type of effects I'd want. I was thinking it would be best if it was more ancient than modern. I'm not against cheap or free plug-ins. I want something that screams "yup this has been collecting dust in someone's bedroom for 20 years". So something g you'd use in the late 90's or early 2000's. And I don't want physical modules. Those are way out of my expense.

THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

So you're saying I should just give up on the idea of emulating a rack? And that I should just stick to the common way because there's no benefit in emulating a rack? I know most of those plug-ins. Besides the bitcrusher, you're right that's the type of effects I'd expect. Although, those are pretty modern too.

TAL DAC
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-dac
(Says 80s but most of us we're using old, cheap 80s gear in the 90s anyway. :))

Toneboosters Time Machine v3
https://www.toneboosters.com/changelog.html
(scroll to bottom for free legacy products)

Alyctro wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:08 pmI put a Decimort2 on everything because that's what emulates a sampler for me. I know about soundtoys and waves but those are pretty modern and not the type of effects I'd want. I was thinking it would be best if it was more ancient than modern. I'm not against cheap or free plug-ins. I want something that screams "yup this has been collecting dust in someone's bedroom for 20 years".
Decimort 2 : from 2017
Waves plugins : 1993 onwards
Soundtoys plugins : 1996 onwards
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:46 pm
Alyctro wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:08 pmI put a Decimort2 on everything because that's what emulates a sampler for me. I know about soundtoys and waves but those are pretty modern and not the type of effects I'd want. I was thinking it would be best if it was more ancient than modern. I'm not against cheap or free plug-ins. I want something that screams "yup this has been collecting dust in someone's bedroom for 20 years".
Decimort 2 : from 2017
Waves plugins : 1993 onwards
Soundtoys plugins : 1996 onwards
Yeah i only use decimort for the emulation, but nothing else. Because i don't have anything else.
But wait, what you're saying is they're that old? Somehow, i believe you. Maybe i should try tracking down the ancient versions of them. I didn't say the plugin it self needs to be ancient. Only the module that it represents.

Edit: From what i read, i was amazed. I know they have a rack version thus i mentioned it. But it looks so modern that's why i didn't pick it. But aparently, all of their modules are emulations of at least 25 year old gear. I gues that's it for me then.
Last edited by Alyctro on Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonic charge cyclone my absolute favourite
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Alyctro wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:31 pm So you're saying I should just give up on the idea of emulating a rack? And that I should just stick to the common way because there's no benefit in emulating a rack? I know most of those plug-ins. Besides the bitcrusher, you're right that's the type of effects I'd expect. Although, those are pretty modern too.
Maybe I’m not really understanding what you want, exactly. When I think of a ‘90s rack, I think of a rack full of specific digital processors from the ‘90s. Which is what these are accurate emulations of. One I forgot to include was the Lexicon PCM plugins, particularly the PCM Native Effects.

The bitcrusher was for emulating ‘90s DACs, same as GaryG’s suggestion of TAL DAC. Relab’s LX480 actually has full 18-bit DAC emulation built in.

So what are you looking for, exactly? A single plugin like Reason Rack, or one that loads other plugins?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:51 pm Sonic charge cyclone my absolute favourite
I'm not looking for a sampler, although i know that one.

Somehow I doubt that you really know what you want - in regards to musical gear the 90's are fairly recent, not old - stuff from that period was mainly digital, whereas there's a myriad of plugins out there which emulate analog stuff that predates this digital period, often by decades.

The H3000 is a good example of highend digital stuff from that period (i.e the 90's) - however the plugin is not at all a faithful emulation of it.

But either way: there's literally thousands of plugins out there and until you have made up your mind on what it really is you're seeking, throwing suggestions in your direction doesn't really make too much sense.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:51 pm Sonic charge cyclone my absolute favourite
Thanks for mentioning this, I wasn't aware of the TX16W plugin.

GaryG wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:38 pm TAL DAC
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-dac
(Says 80s but most of us we're using old, cheap 80s gear in the 90s anyway. :))

Toneboosters Time Machine v3
https://www.toneboosters.com/changelog.html
(scroll to bottom for free legacy products)
Already have em :D

jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:57 pm
Alyctro wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:31 pm So you're saying I should just give up on the idea of emulating a rack? And that I should just stick to the common way because there's no benefit in emulating a rack? I know most of those plug-ins. Besides the bitcrusher, you're right that's the type of effects I'd expect. Although, those are pretty modern too.
Maybe I’m not really understanding what you want, exactly. When I think of a ‘90s rack, I think of a rack full of specific digital processors from the ‘90s. Which is what these are accurate emulations of. One I forgot to include was the Lexicon PCM plugins, particularly the PCM Native Effects.

The bitcrusher was for emulating ‘90s DACs, same as GaryG’s suggestion of TAL DAC. Relab’s LX480 actually has full 18-bit DAC emulation built in.

So what are you looking for, exactly? A single plugin like Reason Rack, or one that loads other plugins?
Either of them. I saw reasons rack module and it's almost exactly how I imagined it but I'm not against having standalone plug-ins. I figured it doesn't matter if I stack them as any other plug-ins. If it's standalone plug-ins then I need a list of what would be mounted at that point in time. Delay, chorus, reverb, an eq, a comp etc...
And if it's a plugin that hosts its own modules like the slate virtual mastering thingy. Then the only requirement is for it to be as close to the 90's as possible. Deviations are allowed.

jens wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:16 pm Somehow I doubt that you really know what you want - in regards to musical gear the 90's are fairly recent, not old - stuff from that period was mainly digital, whereas there's a myriad of plugins out there which emulate analog stuff that predates this digital period, often by decades.

The H3000 is a good example of highend digital stuff from that period (i.e the 90's) - however the plugin is not at all a faithful emulation of it.

But either way: there's literally thousands of plugins out there and until you have made up your mind on what it really is you're seeking, throwing suggestions in your direction doesn't really make too much sense.
I apologize if I was a bit reserved. It's exactly what you just mentioned. What I was referring to is modules that were released only up to 1999. At least in my long research I didn't come across many emulations. When I looked at a typical home recording setup. There was either an akai or an emu on top. And then there were the typical eq, reverb, comp, echo, maybe a tape machine for saturation even when the sampler it self had enough, harmonizes, limiters, distortions etc. If it was just the first two I mentioned then I would be OK. I never said it has to be analog gear. Or an analog emulation. Just gear that was accurate to that time period. And if it's still present then that's fine.

Return to “Effects”