Free / $39
|Type / Tags|
Aethereal is an ambient vector synth equipped with several atmospheric sounds, tones and FX for creating evolving soundscapes and textures. The sounds, which are in the form of four wave oscillators can be mixed between using a sophisticated 4-Way TransMixer, either manually, with Auto-Modulation or in a set transition from one sound to the next.
Other modulation options include a Multi-Vector, which uses three X/Y position points to modulate various parameters, a 16-Step Mod-Sequencer, three modulation envelopes, plus assignable pitchbend and modwheel, making Aethereal a flexible and expressive ambient synthesizer with many possibilities.
- Over 100 built-in sounds such as synth tones, atmospheres, vocal pads and sound FX.
- Four wave oscillators with independent amp envelopes; the oscillators are divided into two sections that can be routed to separate audio output channels.
- 4-Way TransMixer for making set transitions from one sound to another; can also be used for manual or automatic mixing.
- Multi-Vector for modulating various parameters in an X/Y path.
- Auto-Modulation section for automatic control of the Multi-Vector as well as the TransMixer (modulation equivalent of 8 LFOs).
- 16-Step Modulation Sequencer - For sequenced modulation of pitch and filters.
- Two filter sections, each with independent envelopes, inverters, gain compensation & multiple stages (1-4).
- Three modulation envelopes.
- Dual Stereo Delay section.
- Assignable pitchbend and modwheel.
- 64 presets.
A fully-functioning freeware version is available, with the limitations of only two voices polyphony and one audio output.
Reviewed By bobsled
January 1, 2007
User Interface- The GUI is well laid out and easy to understand. Various output analyzers provide handy visual displays of pre-filter and filter output intensity. Vector position points on a vector grid also provide GUI movement. A nice compromise between visual aides and functionality has been struck, eye candy without being obnoxious.
Sound- Aethereal, as the name implies, can sound very light and airy as well as heavenly. Think bright, evolving sounds full of movement. Like it says on the box, this is an ambient synth for textures and atmospheres. Credits mention samples provided by Les Productions Zvon and Claire Fitch.
Features- A much more flexible synth than I had initially realized, various tools make it relatively easy to create, sculpt and manipulate unique sounds. Four wave oscillators, a 4-Way TransMixer, a Multi-Vector (using three X/Y Position Points) and a 16-step mod sequencer are just some of those above mentioned tools.
To borrow from the website, "All of this along with two multi-stage filters, a dual delay, three modulation envelopes and assignable modwheel and pitchbender make Aethereal a very flexible and expressive ambient synthesizer with many possibilities.".
Documentation- The .html manual is nothing special. It describes all the synths features, lets the user know what all the buttons do and includes a MIDI chart.
Presets- 64 presets are included, most are quite impressive. They are definitely a good starting point, though some stand on their own without any tweaking.
Customer Support- Never had need for support, but Psychic Modulation does maintain a forum here at KVR.
Value for Money- An excellent value, the synth is also available as part of the Neurosynth Pack.
Stability- Very, very stable. When I use this synth I expect certain sounds and it delivers them.
I really enjoy Aethereal, I use it often and look forward to using it for a long time to come. Check out Psychic Modulation, I doubt you'll be disappointed.Read more