PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

jamcat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:09 amIn other words, Martin is hedging
Here's a bit more info. Choosing the appropriate license is tricky. Since we cannot open source and support/distribute VST2, VST3 requires GPL3. And Martin doesn't want to lose the MIDI output features of VST2 (for talking to the actual hardware JX8P and editing it etc.), which VST3 has royally screwed up.

Another possibility is simply to wait out and see how CLAP format pans out, since that will realistically allow open sourcing under a non-GPL license yet still be able to provide VST2, VST3, AU etc. through various wrappers.

Thanks for the update. I would suggest just doing VST3 plus a standalone version to talk directly to the JX-8P. Though it is my understanding that VST3 supports sending sysex, just not MIDI CC. Either way you should be able to communicate directly through the system MIDI API.

My concern here from experience is that once your project gets in a holding pattern waiting on someone or something else, it tends to fizzle out and die.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:42 am Another possibility is simply to wait out and see how CLAP format pans out, since that will realistically allow open sourcing under a non-GPL license yet still be able to provide VST2, VST3, AU etc. through various wrappers.
I saw Schwa from the Reaper team has already been engaged with CLAP. So I hope Bitwig [which I don't use but we already know about] and Reaper will be early host adopters of the format. If Reaper got on board, I'd be good right there.

From that point, I'd love it this could be ported over as a CLAP plugin (with M1 support) and subsequently continued as a VST2. There's at least one cat I know who'd even like a crippled VST3 version because of "the future" or whatever. :lol:

So hopefully there's a future for this. I'm really rooting for CLAP as a format.

Whichever project SST takes on, there will be a CLAP for it. :)

jamcat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:23 amThough it is my understanding that VST3 supports sending sysex, just not MIDI CC.
DAW support for either is super spotty and it's just not worth it. At any rate, Martin has the final say.

Hm, filter got drastically changed in versions after 2015. I totally prefer the old filter sound/adjustment. Is it possible that you add a "old variant" switch, so it sounds exactly like before?

Probably not, because the way it sounds now is more accurate to how JX8P/MKS70 filter actually sounds.

Instead of complaining about dev's not updating their programs to fit your OS's maybe get the fuk off of OS's that continually break software? Or buy a 2nd CPU just for the constant need to upgrade? I was a big Mac guy for years, Snow Leopard was my Last OS with Apple.. Lesson learned. I no longer have that issue, with a single company destroying software that works in the name of selling a new OS.

PG-8X runs beautiful on Windows x64 :tu:
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:41 am Instead of complaining about dev's not updating their programs to fit your OS's maybe get the fuk off of OS's that continually break software? Or buy a 2nd CPU just for the constant need to upgrade? I was a big Mac guy for years, Snow Leopard was my Last OS with Apple.. Lesson learned. I no longer have that issue, with a single company destroying software that works in the name of selling a new OS.

Ahh! Until the end I thought you were going to say you use Linux! :x :hihi:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

trusampler wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:41 am Instead of complaining about dev's not updating their programs to fit your OS's maybe get the fuk off of OS's that continually break software? Or buy a 2nd CPU just for the constant need to upgrade? I was a big Mac guy for years, Snow Leopard was my Last OS with Apple.. Lesson learned. I no longer have that issue, with a single company destroying software that works in the name of selling a new OS.

I agree with useless OS updates. However, hi-dpi / Retina graphics resolutions are really an appreciable needed feature. It’s good for your eyes and (with zoom) enforces the immersive experience.

Does anyone have a link to the factory sound bank sysex. Thanks.

cyberheater wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:33 pmDoes anyone have a link to the factory sound bank sysex. Thanks.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pg-8x- ... /downloads

what does CLAP stand for anyway?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Etienne1973 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:48 pm
cyberheater wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:33 pmDoes anyone have a link to the factory sound bank sysex. Thanks.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pg-8x- ... /downloads
Thanks. I now have them.

I have tried without success to load the AU version of the plugin in Logic Pro X on Monterey (Mac).
Forced to use a AU to VST adapter.

It's got a lovely sound and sounds like hardware without the hiss.

Return to “Instruments”