Physical modelling drums

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

excellent post MadBrain - nice snare too :) how velocity responsive is it? and what app did you use?
we're just so far away from being able to model a 13" tama piccolo it's unreal. it makes me sad, maybe i should learn dsp - is it really that difficult? ;)
HV's reaktor collection uses modal synthesis in a modular env, so it would seem to be the perfect place to start discovering modal synthesis and it's limits.

CinningBao wrote:excellent post MadBrain - nice snare too :) how velocity responsive is it? and what app did you use?
we're just so far away from being able to model a 13" tama piccolo it's unreal. it makes me sad, maybe i should learn dsp - is it really that difficult? ;)
HV's reaktor collection uses modal synthesis in a modular env, so it would seem to be the perfect place to start discovering modal synthesis and it's limits.
Well, personally I use fx2, which is easy to find even if it doesn't play very well in realtime, and permits loops anywhere, which is important for some other physical models (wind, plucked string...). For modal synthesis, since you don't even need feedback loops, pretty much any modular synth with a usable bandpass filter will do, ie almost anything. The one important requirement is enough CPU power to handle the dozens of filters you're going to be using. :)

As for the snare patch, I haven't made it velocity responsive, but making it so isn't particularly hard, and there's lots of parameters that can respond to velocity: the impulse generator (click + noise) can respond in pretty much any way, and each of the membrane's modes has a separate volume, which makes that a good target for velocity modulation too. The membrane modes are actually rather random on that patch (didn't take the time to use a spectrogram and write down each mode), so adjusting the modes of your snare shouldn't be hard, especially if you take the time to use a spectrogram. My model of snare brushes (bandpassed noise looping back into the membrane) isn't very good, so you'll definitely want to look into a better way of doing the brushes.

Reading this reminds me that at one point last year I stumbled upon an amazing cymbal sound while patching my Doepfer modular. I made some recordings of it, but could never recreate the patch. It was very complex, involving two analog sequencers used as wavesequencer oscillators, two BBD delays, a spring reverb, a frequency shifter, a waveshaper, several filters, and various other modules which I can't remember. Oh well, it was cool while it lasted!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman, I'm interested, please post an example if you can :)

Unfortunately, I woke up today to find my computer had died, so I'm going to be in recovery mode for a while... not sure if my hard drives are recoverable or not! :( But I'll post a sample when I can...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Old thread being resssurected but the korg wavedrum oriental...

+1 for xoxos.

radian....http://www.kvraudio.com/product/radian-by-xoxos
and cymbal make astonishingly realistic sounds.

Image Line's Drumaxx had a good go at modelling drums, too, lest we forget.. (released since this thread was opened)

Drumsynth Extreme not physical modelling but it sounds similar
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Don't forget Microtonic. Everything is modelled - no samples.

I believe ExtremeDS (Extreme Drum Synth) also has no samples, hence its name.

Mike

DrumSpillage - which has some electronic-analog modeling as well as more typically acoustic. Can sound very FM (there's an FM model also with algorithms), but it's very versatile. Different sound from MicroTonic (I own and love both).

Alas - it's Mac only, so I'll shut up now. :D

Rather than Tassman ,what about Chromaphone ?

Not shaped to emulate drum kits at all, but AFAIK taking the time for some serious investigations it might give some very capable results

I presumed this thread was about phsical modelling not VA modelling, in which case every frigging synth out there can do it!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I presumed this thread was about phsical modelling not VA modelling, in which case every frigging synth out there can do it!
True. I think Chromaphone does fall into that category, as does Drumspillage (has both VA and physical), but not MicroTonic, etc., of course

Of course it depends on what models are available - impulse/membrane stuff is (relatively) easy, but I don't know if anyone does a great model of cymbal (I read somewhere that it a cymbal hit is one of the most complex waveforms that can be produced naturally; perhaps that's why it's typically so awful sounding no matter what synthesis method is used).

i like cymbal ,it's better than any analogue ones i've herd.

Return to “Instruments”