Some small indepth informations from Musikmesse 2007

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote:I can assemble a pc with a dualcore 64bit Athlon 4600+, 1 gig of ram (no oem), a 250GB 7200rpm hardisk, a 128MB Nvidia graphics-card and a DVD burner for about 400€... :shrug:
These PCs feature the latest Intel CoreDuo chipsets at least (if they're not Core2Duo), highend RAM (and not just 1GB), 2U rack cases (expensive!), silent fan systems (expensive), custom configurations (created by someone who does this for years for sample network rigs), etc. Not to mention the devices to connect all this, and I didn't see the backside of the 2U racks, but if there're also specific audio cards included, that all sums up.

Stuff that cost as much as 10k, and that's not counting the DVZ Controll software or the samples.

Like I said, it's okay to blow out 6k for a Yamaha Motif (or any other hardware synth), but it's not okay to pay 10k for a flawlessly running 5PC rig, samples and a controller software that saves you THOUSANDS in terms of transposing and writing for a real orchestra.

Trust me, you CAN NOT run this system on your PC or C64! The controller data alone eats a lot of processing power, then to this comes the cloning of the instruments, the placement, the different playmodes that're recognized on the fly...

It's so easy to rip a certain instrument/system apart, that sounds over the top what you need to actually run it. But if you'd have seen it and tested it, it's understandable WHY. And trust me, I don't want to built a 5PC system for orchestra samples out of spareparts and need at least 1 hour extra PER DAY to get the stuff fired up (each PC per hand, with monitoring software like RealVNC, set up the MIDI ports properly, etc) for a serious production. So if I'd get that one, I'm more than thankful to have a preconfigured system already!
Last edited by Compyfox on Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

uhm... that's missing the point of my post, Sascha...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:uhm... that's missing the point of my post, Sascha...
In what way? That 5 of your machines would only equal a total amount of 2000 €?
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Sascha Franck wrote:
jens wrote:uhm... that's missing the point of my post, Sascha...
In what way? That 5 of your machines would only equal a total amount of 2000 €?
yes, I said I doubt the hardware is justifying the price - in no way did I say the concept doesn't make sense - in fact my post didn't even touch that point...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Compyfox wrote:I don't want to built a 5PC system for orchestra samples out of spareparts and need at least 1 hour extra PER DAY to get the stuff fired up (each PC per hand, with monitoring software like RealVNC, set up the MIDI ports properly, etc) for a serious production.
well, even if you'd switch them on by hand (instead via a network-call) it shouldn't take more than a few minutes, or you are doing something seriously wrong...

..and if I really had a need for that much power (:shock: :-o) I'd surely use FX-Teleport...

jens wrote: yes, I said I doubt the hardware is justifying the price
Perhaps true, perhaps not. Maybe there's some more or less specialized hardware involved (I wouldn't happen to know), and in addition, I could imagine that configuring such a monster system is part of the deal as well - which might as well include some heavy hardware tweakings.
Similar to Receptor, which, judging from the computing specs alone, is ridiculously overpriced. Yet, as a package it seems to make sense for some people (I'm even thinking about getting one one day).

Sacha, it's hopeless to defend why the system is like that and costs 10000USD. PCs have to be cheap, so have to be VSTi. But it's okay to blow out a couple of thousand for a 1U Rack from Roland or Yamaha.

While I do agree that some are a ripoff, this system is worth every darn penny. A pity that almost all people who critisize it seem to forget what they actually get, what work was put into it, and how much of a bargain this actually is.

Chris Stone put MILLIONS into it. Let's say he really sells it for 10k only, to only about 50 musicians all over the world, he'd only get half a million out for it and loose a lot of money. And FX Teleport surely CAN NOT handle hundreds of MIDI Control Messages at once, cloning of instruments, placing and then running that all back again with 16 stereo channels back into the main rig. Not even a GIGABIT network can do that.

Then again, let's look at the Receptor. The people were also like it "bah, I can built my own Receptor for dirt cheap and it runs just as good!!!", how mistaken they were - and the Receptor is popular now (I still remember the day I could test it at Musikmesse a couple of years ago). And... Muse Research took over KVR.

Maybe another quote from Chris Stone works fine here, too:
"It'll take a while till it's accepted by the majority". And I have to agree with him. But if I'd write orchestra music (or would be good at writing at all), I'd eat more instant ramen and do without a new hardware workstation or a fancy new rack synths but get this thing, as it's really helping a lot in terms of scoring.
Last edited by Compyfox on Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Heheh, just look at my Receptor analogy...

Compyfox wrote:But it's okay to blow out a couple of thousand for a 1U Rack from Roland or Yamaha.

well, you've repeated this pseudo-argument now at least three times and it's getting pretty boring - who says that 'it's okay to blow out a couple of thousand for a 1U Rack from Roland or Yamaha'?

Why are you saying this? Who do you mean?

Yes, some people spend some serious money on some stuff, others won't.

and personally I belong to those who won't - and of course I can only speak for myself here and I never in my whole life spend several thousand € on any single item - not even on a car. So please stop boring me with this Yamaha or Roland bullshit.

jens wrote:Why are you saying this? Who do you mean?
I mean all people who're complaining about this thing.

jens wrote:and of course I can only speak for myself here and I never in my whole life spend several thousand € on any single item - not even on a car. So please stop boring me with this Yamaha or Roland bullshit.
Then stop talking negative about something that you neither tested, nor did proper research for. It's like talking about how bad sex actually is before you tried it out yourself (not the best analogy, but still).

Compyfox wrote:
jens wrote:Why are you saying this? Who do you mean?
I mean all people who're complaining about this thing.

But do you know for sure that even just a single one of those persons here in this thread who said 10k is expensive ever spend some serious money on some Roland or Yamaha (or whatever) workstation/rompler?

Now do you?
jens wrote:and of course I can only speak for myself here and I never in my whole life spend several thousand € on any single item - not even on a car. So please stop boring me with this Yamaha or Roland bullshit.
Then stop talking negative about something that you neither tested, nor did proper research for. It's like talking about bad taste of a 5star menu beore it's even cooked and eaten up.
Would you please quote me on where I said something negative about it or could you otherwise be so kind as to shut the f**k up?

Seeing you saying that you can built a cheaper PC rig than getting this overpriced instrument is pretty much negative in my opinion.

But you know what? I give up... it's useless discussing with you. I've seen that a couple of times now with discussions where you were involved. I'd say, before you tell me to STFU, test it the next time you have a chance to do so. And until that happens, I'd say you should stop commenting about it, if you haven't even tested it, as I did.

My useless 2 cents.

you know, the thing is you are so overly defensive in regards to this thingamajic it would even be a bit disturbing if you had shares in the company that produces it...

Compyfox: forget it. It's obvious to anyone who has just a little knowledge and common sense that the price is justified. Arguing about it with people who wouldn't even want to try it is unneeded :).

just in case: if you want to offer Compyfox a blowjob once you got your tongue out of his rear-end please do it in private - just send him a pm.

Return to “Instruments”