Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" vocal effect vst???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Id agree with people who say delay and phaser (very subtle). they have used a tap delay, the kinda delay people used back in 80's on snares
Kadar

I don't recall many mutlitap delays on snares, but maybe you listened to different records than me. :shrug:

If you wanted to get something like that tune, you can use any garden-variety delay with a short ms and a bit of feedback (sounds like about 3-4 repeats), try a different chorus or something like mda stereo for the phasing sound, and his voice has been drastically highpassed, with what sounds like a boost in the high mids. It wouldn't be too difficult to get close.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Isn't the In The Air Tonight vocal just drenched in a reverse reverb? It's been a while since I heard the actual song, but when Family Guy parodied it, Stewie was definately rocking a reverse reverb. To do so, reverse your vocal, add lots of reverb, reverse your vocal so that it's playing forwards again. The reverb will now be in reverse, fading into the vocals as opposed to away from them.
Word....Pearl Jam also used that trick to great effect on a couple of
tracks on their first album.

Cheers....CL :oops:
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

samplesbank wrote:It seems like there is a vocal multiplier or some strange short slap back delay or something like that. Can't quite figure it out.

Anybody know how to achieve this effect???
I am actually playing on a song with Phil on drums right this moment! Taking a little break here... late nighter. He goes OFF on the drums in this one. Pretty intense! Can't say what it is yet though (Squids like to tease).

Anyway, to answer your question (although may have been answered) it is at least double tracked (sang twice) for the main unison lead and then there are odd harmonies lower in the mix. There might be a little bit of slap back delay but there's also a longer delay that is out of sync with the tempo (listen to "ever met met met met... drifts). He MAY have a Dimension D on it but probably not (probably just the multiple tracking). I think the Prophet 5 pad has a Dimension D and Boss CE-1 on it. There IS also a Roland VP330 Vocoder that fades in on vocal parts like "I Remember".

Squids

-----
www.keepitdark.net

Squids wrote:
samplesbank wrote:It seems like there is a vocal multiplier or some strange short slap back delay or something like that. Can't quite figure it out.

Anybody know how to achieve this effect???
I am actually playing on a song with Phil on drums right this moment! Taking a little break here... late nighter. He goes OFF on the drums in this one. Pretty intense! Can't say what it is yet though (Squids like to tease).

Anyway, to answer your question (although may have been answered) it is at least double tracked (sang twice) for the main unison lead and then there are odd harmonies lower in the mix. There might be a little bit of slap back delay but there's also a longer delay that is out of sync with the tempo (listen to "ever met met met met... drifts). He MAY have a Dimension D on it but probably not (probably just the multiple tracking). I think the Prophet 5 pad has a Dimension D and Boss CE-1 on it. There IS also a Roland VP330 Vocoder that fades in on vocal parts like "I Remember".
Squids, I want your life. :-o :lol:

CapnLockheed wrote: Word....Pearl Jam also used that trick to great effect on a couple of
tracks on their first album.
♪ EVEN FLOOOOOOW ♪

:band:

Classic Reverb has a 'Phil Collins' preset. I think any decent slapback delay would work. Who was it (?) ArcDev had a plugin with a preset called 'John Lennon' that sounded really good on vocals.

Return to “Instruments”