The most underestimated synths...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:How do I stop certain people from sending me PMs? If I just add them as a foe, will that do it?
No, Steve, put someone among the foes don't prevent to receive their PM, but you will not see their contributions on the forums, each time the post is replaced by just a line with a click to make manually the post back to visible (and that... for each of his posts as long as the guy remains among the foes).
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

VicDiesel wrote:ES2.

I had to slap something together really quickly the other day, absolutely no time to use something else but presets. I started using PopularStripedSynth for a couple of tracks, all very nice. Just for the heck of it I put ES2 on the remaining track, and damned if one of the presets wasn't every bit as good sounding as the PopularStripedSynth tracks.

Yet it's hardly ever mentioned in this forum.

Victor.
Yeah, old gem, but it's Logic's stock synth, so that might be the reason for it. :tu:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=443337
Zexila wrote:Just found out that both Mystery Island's ES2 soundsets are free, so in case anyone missed it like myself. :tu:

https://www.mysteryislands-music.com/pr ... -2-bundle/

https://soundcloud.com/mystery-islands/ ... es2-bundle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr7crrQV-XM
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

BlackWinny wrote:
wagtunes wrote:How do I stop certain people from sending me PMs? If I just add them as a foe, will that do it?
No, Steve, put someone among the foes don't prevent to receive their PM, but you will not see their contributions on the forums, each time the post is replaced by just a line with a click to make manually the post back to visible (and that... for each of his posts as long as the guy remains among the foes).
muting/foe list is imo kinda silly...people quote the poster and you see it anyhow. While I just became a general mod in October last I have been the mod of the diy forum along with Justin since it's start (because it was my idea and a contribution to KvR I am proud of), as a mod of that forum I could not be muted/added to foe list so I did not/do not mute anyone out of fairness.

I should mention that you can report PM's as well, if someone wont leave you alone you can report it. When I first log in for the day and then a couple times a day I check the report page. I would like to ask though this not be used for every little thing that comes along one doesn't like in a PM (if you're bickering with someone in PM's I'm not getting involved with the same type of things I would in open forums), however if someone just wont leave you alone please report it. :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

This... is talent:

Mozart played with a wonderful synth made only of wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lvF6JmkpLY

This also is talent. A traditional tune played with stones (known throughout the world as "lithophones"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Hhe59SrM8

Actually, someone who is the talent alive can make reach the Heaven with anything, no matter if his is himself composer or not (the best being of course to be himself composer). It shows how much it is possible to make really beautiful music with anything.

Back to synths: there are everywhere incredibly beautiful solos made with some of the most simple of all synths: the Octave Kitten, the ARP AXXE, and even the Yamaha CS-01. Look (Julien Boursin, one of our best French afrojazz player) ! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJHq7F-vCk

I repeat: it is not the instrument which makes the music. It is the composer and his talent... and the performer and his talent. The instrument is there to express the talent, even if the instrument is extremely simple, and even with stones or with a wooden tube.

And incidentally it means that ALL the most simple synths are underestimated synths. Look above what becomes a simple CS-01 (and a breath controller for the expressions) in the hands of a really talented performer.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

I think DCAM Synth Squad was and still is brilliant and has a TON of untapped potential.

BlackWinny wrote:This... is talent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lvF6JmkpLY

This also is talent. A traditional tune played with stones (known throughout the world as "lithophones"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Hhe59SrM8

Actually, someone who is the talent alive can make reach the Heaven with anything, no matter if his is himself composer or not (the best being of course to be himself composer). It shows how much it is possible to make really beautiful music with anything.

Back to synths: there are everywhere incredibly beautiful solos made with some of the most simple of all synths: the Octave Kitten, the ARP AXXE, and even the Yamaha CS-01. Look (Julien Boursin, one of our best French afrojazz player) ! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJHq7F-vCk

I repeat: it is not the instrument which makes the music. It is the composer and his talent... and the performer and his talent. The instrument is there to express the talent, even if the instrument is extremely simple, and even with stones or with a wooden tube.

And incidentally it means that ALL the most simple synths are underestimated synths. Look above what becomes a simple CS-01 (and a breath controller for the expressions) in the hands of a really talented performer.
+1 :tu: :tu: :tu:

Schmidi wrote:I think DCAM Synth Squad was and still is brilliant and has a TON of untapped potential.
I agree!
Unfortunately their GUIs become unreadable on hi-res screens, and v2 of the synths are dubious improvements....

Schmidi wrote:I think DCAM Synth Squad was and still is brilliant and has a TON of untapped potential.
+1
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:
+1
Same. It's an outstanding collection with such huge scope that isn't immediately apparent on first glance. It's intimidating in the moment when you first grasp the depth of the modulation system. Not a collection I'd recommend to beginners, even though they sound great without modulation and I often use them like that, but the collection forms an endlessly deep playground for the experienced synthesist. Loading them into Fusor only increases that power. The only other synth I can think of which hides such enormous power behind a simple GUI is Harmor.

It's a shame about the oversampling bug in Cypher that knocks modulations out of tune, leading to other questions like "what oversampling rate is correct for the presets?" but I still can't recommend them enough. Hopefully Cypher 2 will arrive soon and fix that up.

Shelled out for the Strobe 2 upgrade just a fortnight or so back and fell in love all over again.

So, there can be no such thing as a poorly-made anything because 'it's all subjective'.
#NG: Don't Work; there's your logic and it's just not going to hold.
Is a $3 umbrella from Walmart, China-made POS which folds and breaks the first strong wind come up just as good as every umbrella?
So, some things are objectively better constructed. Tell me that's wrong.

Is art or music never a construction?
Is some moronic repetitive toddler-like drivel (but hey, A BEAT!) always equal to say Bach 3rd Violin Partita?

It seems like to me the people that like this argument have the perfect excuse to keep making drivel and feel great about it.

ANYWAY
There are many polished turds in popular music today, I believe.

What pathetic comparisons :roll:

Back to synths: there are everywhere incredibly beautiful solos made with some of the most simple of all synths: the Octave Kitten, the ARP AXXE, and even the Yamaha CS-01. Look!
So, do these objects sound good in themselves? I bet she chose the best lithophone around if she could.
What's the actual point, are you arguing against people saying that a thing has to be super complex to be good? I know two of those, are these 3 disreputable here? :shrug:

Does this argument make a guitar with poor wood, poorly constructed that won't even get in tune as good as the product of an excellent luthier just because I can get some good shit out of it anyway?
That will be specious as an argument.

What about ABL Pro - Semi-Modular Sequenced Synth? Great rich sound!

jancivil wrote:

Back to synths: there are everywhere incredibly beautiful solos made with some of the most simple of all synths: the Octave Kitten, the ARP AXXE, and even the Yamaha CS-01. Look!
So, do these objects sound good in themselves? I bet she chose the best lithophone around if she could.
What's the actual point, are you arguing against people saying that a thing has to be super complex to be good? I know two of those, are these 3 disreputable here? :shrug:

Does this argument make a guitar with poor wood, poorly constructed that won't even get in tune as good as the product of an excellent luthier just because I can get some good shit out of it anyway?
That will be specious as an argument.
You don't get at all what I meant. And I'm very surprised when I know all the excellent works on the monthly OSC. Because precisely the OSC is there to make a challenge to create the most beautiful works even with constraints such as the use of only one synth! It is a PERFECT example of what I never stop to say: it is the musician who makes the music, not the instrument! You can perfectly recognize that my affirmation is totally true when you see that the challenge of the OSC is precisely to reveal the talent of the musicians by forcing them to extract ALL the hidden resources of synths which sometimes have a lot of features and sometimes are quite poor in features! So you have there the EVIDENCE that the talent is in the musician!

Wasn't that one replaced with strobe 2?

I was never big into fxpansion synths, what's the verdict on squad vs strobe 2? Straight upgrade?

Return to “Instruments”