PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

lionscub68 wrote:I'm not a programmer beyond simple data processing at work.
Don't think it hurts to help in this community with these simple thoughts, even if my ideas are full of crap.
Just want Martin to clear this frustrating hurdle. :)
Sorry, but there are some ridiculous things being suggested in this thread. Uninformed "advice" is not helpful. Your testing results, of course, will be.

AdmiralQuality wrote:
Ignore this, it's ridiculous. The code is the code, it's the compiler settings that determine whether it becomes 32 or 64 bit. (You might want to post in the Dev board. There's all kinds of wacky misinformation out here.)
On the level of my part of the code, this is surely true. I guess, though, that on the level of IPlug there will be some 32/64 bit specific pieces of code to select the carbon of cocoa framework and the corresponding API.

And, the 'fat' binaries, in fact do contain both 32 bit and 64 bit code, but I guess which of the two code blocks is executed will be decided at the time the library (i.e. the plugin) is loaded by the system.

Anyway, the existence of mac plugins, which do work on more than one operating system, proofs that it must be possible to get it running...

Martin

martin_l wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote:
Ignore this, it's ridiculous. The code is the code, it's the compiler settings that determine whether it becomes 32 or 64 bit. (You might want to post in the Dev board. There's all kinds of wacky misinformation out here.)
On the level of my part of the code, this is surely true. I guess, though, that on the level of IPlug there will be some 32/64 bit specific pieces of code to select the carbon of cocoa framework and the corresponding API.

And, the 'fat' binaries, in fact do contain both 32 bit and 64 bit code, but I guess which of the two code blocks is executed will be decided at the time the library (i.e. the plugin) is loaded by the system.

Anyway, the existence of mac plugins, which do work on more than one operating system, proofs that it must be possible to get it running...

Martin
I haven't used IPlug so I can't help you there. But I can verify that my plug-ins based on VSTGUI 3.6 RC 2 http://sourceforge.net/projects/vstgui/ ... GUI%203.6/ and VST 2.4 don't require any differences in implementation code between x86 and x64.

I'm just trying to dispel the myth that it's something WE do when coding a plug-in. It's not. Well written code compiles for either 32 or 64 bit just fine. (Any issues with that in VST were fixed in the 2.4 SDK with some new data types. Took literally 10 minutes to make a Windows x64. Mac took years due to Apple's planned obsolescence. Also I wasn't aware there was a newer version of VSTGUI 3.6 that Steinaha were neglecting to share on their site but was available on SourceForge.)

Next trial for MAC:

combined 32/64 binaries built against SDK 10.6, with Oli Larkin's patches applied.
Furthermore, I realised the settings "active architecture only', which was on.
This is off now, and I copied release versions rather than the debug versions.

As a reminder, here is the link;
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m636vgxhta9e ... /JX-Chorus

They all work on my Macbook Pro (10.7) with reaper (both 32 and 64 bit).

Fingers crossed...

Martin

martin_l wrote:On the level of my part of the code, this is surely true. I guess, though, that on the level of IPlug there will be some 32/64 bit specific pieces of code to select the carbon of cocoa framework and the corresponding API.
There is virtually no specific 32 or 64-bit code in IPlug, although there are some preprocessor macros to deal with no Carbon support on 64-bit, and with differences between 32 and 64-bit AU implementations.
martin_l wrote:And, the 'fat' binaries, in fact do contain both 32 bit and 64 bit code, but I guess which of the two code blocks is executed will be decided at the time the library (i.e. the plugin) is loaded by the system.
A binary containing both 32 and 64-bit code is called a Universal Binary (a fat binary is... aw, I don't remember; Google it). A Universal Binary actually contains 2 entire copies of the binary, one for 32-bit and another for 64-bit. Both copies share the resources (plist, images etc.).
martin_l wrote:Anyway, the existence of mac plugins, which do work on more than one operating system, proofs that it must be possible to get it running...
Yeah, AFAIK Combo Model F (also IPlug, though not WDL-OL) runs on all OSX versions since 10.5 (32-bit versions even 10.4).

martin_l wrote:Next trial for MAC:

combined 32/64 binaries built against SDK 10.6, with Oli Larkin's patches applied.
Furthermore, I realised the settings "active architecture only', which was on.
This is off now, and I copied release versions rather than the debug versions.

As a reminder, here is the link;
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m636vgxhta9e ... /JX-Chorus

They all work on my Macbook Pro (10.7) with reaper (both 32 and 64 bit).

Fingers crossed...

Martin
2009 MBP OSX 10.9.2 //Live 9.1.1 (32)
VST3 - I have no way to test at this time in Live
AU - Works, no issues. I can assign midi controllers to the 3 sliders
VST2.4 - Works, no issues. I can assign midi controllers to the 3 sliders. I also noticed for the first time I had a preset selector dropdown available (although it had no content at this time)

However
Amadeus Pro audio editor v1.5.5 (2011) (32)
AU - Works, no issues.
The VST3 can't be used in this app, gives me an error, which is expected.
VST2.4 - opens the GUI, previews a sample, but when I go to apply I got two dialogue boxes. see attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 8.30.07 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 8.29.22 PM.jpg
Which I didn't understand (the source audio I am using is your average 44.1khz/16-bit stereo file)

For giggles I tried using Audacity 2.0.5, a cross-platform freeware audio editor.
Using the same 44.1K/16-bit stereo audio file as subject material.
In that one I can't tell what I'm using: VST3, VST2.4, it doesn't differentiate.
Audacity does not load AUs.
Results:
One of them works great, no issues. I will guess that's the VST3 version working?
The other, the GUI disappeared when I clicked "preview", then would not process audio. I'm guessing it's the VST 2.4. I could have it backwards on which version gives the error here. Try it yourself, download Audacity.

Getting so much closer!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

After playing with it for a little while, I also feel like it lowers or drops the level of the original input sound or signal. I'm using it inline as a channel insert after a virtual piano (PianoTeq Stage 4.5);
when I do an A/B test for the JXchorus (on/off) it sounds like it lowers the level of the original signal as opposed to simply adding to it or coloring it.

lionscub68 wrote: 2009 MBP OSX 10.9.2 //Live 9.1.1 (32)
VST3 - I have no way to test at this time in Live
AU - Works, no issues. I can assign midi controllers to the 3 sliders
VST2.4 - Works, no issues. I can assign midi controllers to the 3 sliders. I also noticed for the first time I had a preset selector dropdown available (although it had no content at this time)
OK. That's good news.

lionscub68 wrote: However
Amadeus Pro audio editor v1.5.5 (2011) (32)
AU - Works, no issues.
The VST3 can't be used in this app, gives me an error, which is expected.
VST2.4 - opens the GUI, previews a sample, but when I go to apply I got two dialogue boxes. see attachments:
Which I didn't understand (the source audio I am using is your average 44.1khz/16-bit stereo file)
That's strange, as the plugin is supposed to accept two input (i.e. stereo input) channels. Are there any other plugins, which behave strangely under Amadeus? I start suspecting that the host is not quite standard.

lionscub68 wrote: For giggles I tried using Audacity 2.0.5, a cross-platform freeware audio editor.
Using the same 44.1K/16-bit stereo audio file as subject material.
In that one I can't tell what I'm using: VST3, VST2.4, it doesn't differentiate.
Audacity does not load AUs.
Results:
One of them works great, no issues. I will guess that's the VST3 version working?
The other, the GUI disappeared when I clicked "preview", then would not process audio. I'm guessing it's the VST 2.4. I could have it backwards on which version gives the error here. Try it yourself, download Audacity.

Getting so much closer!
Haven't tried Audacity myself yet, but I would thing that it rather supports VST2.4 than VST3.

For the next version I will try to differentiate the name according to VST2 or VST3, so that it is more obvious which one is loaded.
lionscub68 wrote: After playing with it for a little while, I also feel like it lowers or drops the level of the original input sound or signal. I'm using it inline as a channel insert after a virtual piano (PianoTeq Stage 4.5);
when I do an A/B test for the JXchorus (on/off) it sounds like it lowers the level of the original signal as opposed to simply adding to it or coloring it.
Yes, that's a bug. In the chorus which is part of the pg8x I had a fixed mixing of dry and wet, and premultiplied the dry signal with a factor. I forgot to remove that in the JXchorus, where I added the mix parameter.

Cheers,
Martin

I should try another VST host app next go around. Is Reaper still free or have a trial? I'll download it and give it a shot. I also still have Logic Pro 9 on this machine but having fired it up in a year. :roll: I should test the AU there.

Any other apps I should test these in? I don't own Reason, ProTools, or the like.
Make a suggestion of an app for me to test in.

lionscub68 wrote:I should try another VST host app next go around. Is Reaper still free or have a trial? I'll download it and give it a shot. I also still have Logic Pro 9 on this machine but having fired it up in a year. :roll: I should test the AU there.

Any other apps I should test these in? I don't own Reason, ProTools, or the like.
Make a suggestion of an app for me to test in.

Thanks a lot. Well, ideally, I would like it tested on as many hosts and possible, in particular also 64bit ones (or some which can do VST3).

I guess, after the recent results, I will now concentrate more on putting together the new pg8x.

Cheers,
Martin

Truth be told, and I'm not trying to start a flame war here, people of the peanut gallery, so save it for another thread:

But if you get the Mac VST version running solid specifcally in Ableton Live (32+64), and the AU running in Logic Pro, that's 95% of the OSX market right there.
You can also use Ableton Live Lite (8 or 9), usually free with just about any controller out there for the last5 years, to test the VST well.

Add in Reaper, Cubase, and Reason (for Mac) then you've got about 99.9% of the market accounted for.

lionscub68 wrote:Any other apps I should test these in?
The hosts we sell the most of are #1 Live, #2 Pro Tools, #3 Studio One, and #4 Bitwig. Cubase, Cakewalk, and Samplitude aren't selling too well these days and I don't think you should need to worry about Cubase compatibility.

Uncle E wrote:
lionscub68 wrote:Any other apps I should test these in?
The hosts we sell the most of are #1 Live, #2 Pro Tools, #3 Studio One, and #4 Bitwig. Cubase, Cakewalk, and Samplitude aren't selling too well these days and I don't think you should need to worry about Cubase compatibility.
Cubase is the number one all around, consistently. Of course he should worry about Cubase. What he shouldn't worry is Pro Tools, IMO. Another format, and users are not very keen of virtual instruments, I think.
Fernando (FMR)

lionscub68 wrote:Truth be told, and I'm not trying to start a flame war here, people of the peanut gallery, so save it for another thread:

But if you get the Mac VST version running solid specifcally in Ableton Live (32+64), and the AU running in Logic Pro, that's 95% of the OSX market right there.
You can also use Ableton Live Lite (8 or 9), usually free with just about any controller out there for the last5 years, to test the VST well.

Add in Reaper, Cubase, and Reason (for Mac) then you've got about 99.9% of the market accounted for.
Reason? In which format?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Cubase is the number one all around, consistently. Of course he should worry about Cubase.
I meant don't worry about it because it will probably work fine without testing. ;)

Return to “Instruments”