Corona synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Corona

aaaaa11111 wrote:funny how many people keep complaining and complaining and thereby reveal they don't have a single clue about synthesizers, be it "real" or a plugin. discovery is another synth, this one can do very different things. if i have a look at all the GUIs flying around here for selfmade plugins, THEN i REALLY get the creeps.
How does not liking the GUI make someone completely clueless about synthesizers hard or soft? That's quite a jump there, don't hurt yourself.... The subject isn't about other plugin's GUI's its about this one......
aaaaa11111 wrote: a wise guy sometimes holds back his words - means: the fact george doesn't respond to some points of criticism may very well mean he sees the point and is working on it - instead of saying "you're right" and then YOU guys keep begging "when is it solved, when is it solved"... just my 2 cents
Then the wise guy will contiune to hear complaints about the GUI......simple as that. If he would address the concerns and say "I hear you and we're looking into it" or "I hear you and it's not going to change" then at least the complaints will lessen or stop.

Of course the sound is what really counts but it's the GUI that let's you get at those sounds and I can't see spending hours looking at that harsh bright white backgound......it will cause eye fatigue. I can't imagine why the sound designers didn't point that out right away....or maybe they did and were met with silence as well......

I've made constructive criticisms posting a mock up of a possible solution to the brightness and suggested the names of a few professional GUI artists who could make this plugin look as good as it sounds..........

Anyway no hard feelings towards DiscoDSP. They've always had great sounding instruments it's just that the GUI on Corona let's it down...in my opinion of course.......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Cyforce wrote:GUI like or not is everytime(!) a concern of personal taste, but if the synth sounds good, and here are till now nearly only replies like "sounds awesome", than is the gui only secondary, the primary part of the synth is always the sound :wink:
Of course the GUI is secondary that's painfully obvious but if the GUI is uncomfortable to work with then that secondary concern may play a role in whether or not someone buys a plugin....the market is crowded and competition is intense.....every little bit of edge you can give yourself will help with sales.......

:shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Based on the GUI and the comments here i thought i'll pass on this but as i got a message from someone who i trust and he seems to like it so i'll at least have a look at the demo.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingo,check out factory sound 65 vintage strings.
With a few tweeks you can get Boards of Canada sounds and weirdness going on.
I'm usually using hardware synths and Kontakt and a couple softs but I do like the sound of this synth,it has something about it to my ears anyway.
Last edited by synthmagic on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

george wrote:@HunterKiller, you should try the demo for some days. It will answer those questions.
Don't get me wrong it sounds great, but seems more like more of the same instead of something new. :shrug:
The market is flooded by subtractives. And it could use a new face, that's all. Look at Glass Viper, brilliant synth, baaaad gui. It's like putting a Beetle body over a Veyron engine, no congruency.
Ruddy wrote:@hunterkiller
It's rare a bunch of people don't complain about a GUI in here, everyone has their opinions, I see no point what so ever in George responding to those complaints, nothing is served. This is the GUI, I'm fine with personally. And the synth sounds great. Did you actually try it before casting your judgements on it? Doesn't seem like it going by your comments.
I tried it. Oops on your part.
4damind wrote:But IMO it's on the right way.
:tu:
aaaaa11111 wrote:funny how many people keep complaining and complaining and thereby reveal they don't have a single clue about synthesizers, be it "real" or a plugin. discovery is another synth, this one can do very different things. if i have a look at all the GUIs flying around here for selfmade plugins, THEN i REALLY get the creeps. besides, a wise guy sometimes holds back his words - means: the fact george doesn't respond to some points of criticism may very well mean he sees the point and is working on it - instead of saying "you're right" and then YOU guys keep begging "when is it solved, when is it solved"... just my 2 cents
:lol:
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

is this GUI painfully bright?

does it hurt your eyes to look at it for more than a minute?

is the sheer whiteness of it not ergonomic?

well then, take the hint and ADJUST YOUR MONITOR - TURN DOWN THE BRIGHTNESS AND CONTRAST 8)

you know that out-of-the-box settings for monitors are going to use as much energy and make the "strongest impression" - don't use them. because i value my eyes, the first thing i do with a system is turn the brightness and contrast *all the way down* for a lcd monitor.

make a graphic with grayscale blocks from 00 to ff, and see how many blocks at each end of the scale look the same on your monitor - chances are any setting will have a few that look the same on one end or the other. find the setting where you have the same number of 'sames' on each side? i'll bet you your brightness setting is lower than it was.

on windows, right click on your desktop and set up two display schemes, one with low brightness and contrast for work, and one with midrange brightness and contrast so you can see the stuff that all the crazy people who want to burn out their retinas use to post videos on the web ;) it only takers a second to switch from one to the other.

this gui is gray, it's not white. if it looks white to you, your display settings are "wrong," not the colour of the gui.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

here :

see? you are wrong :tu:
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

synthmagic wrote:Ingo,check out factory sound 65 vintage strings.
With a few tweeks you can get Boards of Canada sounds and weirdness going on.
There is just something in the sound that has struck a chord with me-I'm not that experienced with lots of different softsynths as I'm usually using hardware synths and a few softs but I do like the sound of this synth,it has something about it to my ears anyway.
Reply sent by PM.
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

GeorgK wrote:Nice sound. It is rather warm, but i do not think it lacks in brightness - that's just its character.
Well, but at least some additional "Brightness" knob could be added, so it will not affect the synth in a bad way. I

HunterKiller wrote:Don't you just hate it when a number of people mention an issue with the synth but the developer bothers to address every other post except the ones that talk about the issue.

BTW, the synth seems a bit of a waste to me. Surely Discovery does the same thing? Why make a clone, instead of something really new and exciting?

With synths like impOscar 2, Synthix, Gladiator, ACE how can the dev even think this will stand to compete?
I have a powerful synths, but sometimes something like this can bring much more fun. This synth has those nice combiners, as someone mention, a lot o different tembres can be achieved. Also, the sound is reeealy good there and ADSR envelopes are perfectly tuned. Very punchy and agressive sound. like it.

The only thing is way too much CPU consumation(strange spikes and so on), like there were some bugs.

@xoxos
I hadn't considered it before, but tried your suggestions regarding monitor settings and I think the advice is good - thanks :)
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

kingtubby wrote:@xoxos
I hadn't considered it before, but tried your suggestions regarding monitor settings and I think the advice is good - thanks :)
cheers - soon you'll be like me, complaining everything is too dark :hihi:

reducing the brightness seems to be the ergonomic choice, ('same brightness as area around your monitor') but computer graphics are definately where the dark and light camps obviate themselves and are irreconcileable at some extremes, which is why i recommend saving multiple schemes.

I'm really liking this Corona Synth. Yeah it does have a little "brightness" issue, but its not that big of deal. It sounds Awesome really High-Quality for the most part. If I had 1 request it would be for an apeggiator with step sequencing capabilities. There is still plenty of room space-wise for one on the synth. Maybe above the filter envelope section? That would be a good place for it. 8)

Does not install on my Mac. The installation is done in a second, but there's no plugins to be found.
I searched installation app package and could not find a vst file, only an audio unit.

fridtjof, let's talk in PM.

Return to “Instruments”