Rob Papen Blue Yes or No

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Blue 3

Igro wrote:Interesting. Did you use just a common spectrum analyser? Or vst analyser?
Igro I used several Vst Analyzers as well as using Lives inbuilt Spectrum.
All of them displayed the spikes I described.
I can hear what I am seeing as well.

It beggars belief that any commercial VST would ever get past beta let alone get to the release stage with such a problem. So I am left blaming my own analysis or setup which could conceivably be at fault.

That is why I asked if anyone else who had Blue would conduct similar tests.
JPQ wrote:I have also sinewave problem but i found clips some values very little when i changed i think one parameter little smaller results is fine. even before addinational harmonic i think is about -42db when 0db is main sound i think. and i recommend it its my one my favorite commercial synths. actually first synth what i buyed.
Thanks for getting back JPQ

aquar wrote:
Igro wrote:Interesting. Did you use just a common spectrum analyser? Or vst analyser?
Igro I used several Vst Analyzers as well as using Lives inbuilt Spectrum.
All of them displayed the spikes I described.
I can hear what I am seeing as well.

It beggars belief that any commercial VST would ever get past beta let alone get to the release stage with such a problem. So I am left blaming my own analysis or setup which could conceivably be at fault.
You know, I get Blue 2 when it's released and I will make the same tests and if anything will be found then we can report to Rob. It's really tricky to initialize presets properly due to a huge amount of different parameters.

aquar wrote:Downloaded the Demo.

One of the first things I like to do with any new Synth is checkout the sound quality of the raw oscillators without loads of effects.
I then like to add a spectrum analyzer and examine/compare it with other Synths I own.

Anyway it seems Blue doesn't have a init preset within the demo (that I could find) and that makes it very hard to judge.

I did spend some time trying to create my own init.
One thing I noticed though was the sound quality of Blue's analogue Sine wave leaves a lot to be desired.
Something isn't quite right.
In the spectrum Analyzer I can see some nasty spikes and activity that shouldn't be there. I tested from A0-27.50hz up to A5-880.00hz.

The thing is without an init I can't be sure there's something else within the Synth chain that is creating what I can only describe as horrible sound artifacts.

Could anyone who currently owns Blue please load its init patch and select just a Analogue Sine and let me know if they are experiencing the same issue?

This is one reason why I think ALL Synth demo's should provide their own init patch as it would help avoid any possible confusion.

Tested in Ableton Live9 Win7.
Doesn't the demo come with 99_BlankBank which consist of only init presets

In the presets menu, press the "clear" button - instant initialized sine wave patch.

I don't hear anything off about the sine wave, either. It's a pure tone. I'm guessing you've got some modulation going on that you haven't zeroed out.

EDIT: Actually, I found some very very low-level distortions in the sine wave, only on certain keys. Little pairs of solitary harmonics that show up extremely quietly on some notes. It doesn't seem to go away if you increase internal oversampling either. It doesn't bother me, though - the whole synth is a bit alias-y compared to newer synths, retro digital flavour :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

reads DX7 syx?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

cis-didge wrote: Doesn't the demo come with 99_BlankBank which consist of only init presets
nah the demo doesn't include 99_BlankBank.

electro wrote:reads DX7 syx?
Sadly I think not, even if it could most likely the demo version would say
"Not Available in Demo" :)

Sendy wrote:In the presets menu, press the "clear" button - instant initialized sine wave patch.

I don't hear anything off about the sine wave, either. It's a pure tone. I'm guessing you've got some modulation going on that you haven't zeroed out.

EDIT: Actually, I found some very very low-level distortions in the sine wave, only on certain keys. Little pairs of solitary harmonics that show up extremely quietly on some notes. It doesn't seem to go away if you increase internal oversampling either. It doesn't bother me, though - the whole synth is a bit alias-y compared to newer synths, retro digital flavour :)
Sendy in the demo (can't speak for the full version) any attempt to clear the preset results in "Not Available in Demo" :)
A terrible restriction imo.

I am glad someone was able to confirm unrelated harmonics that in theory shouldn't be there or exist. Sadly I'll pass on Blue even though its on sale because those kind of artifacts ruin the purity of the sine.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply.
Appreciated.

To create an init patch in Blue just hit "Clear" in the bottom row on the preset browser.

BTW it is totally worth it:
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-elements/r ... work=false

Swallace is right you just select "Clear" and it automatically creates an Init for you.

I think even Rob Papen himself says it in the video overview that came out a couple weeks ago, which is kind of hilarious since Blue was released 5 years ago.

Igro wrote:You know, I get Blue 2 when it's released and I will make the same tests and if anything will be found then we can report to Rob. It's really tricky to initialize presets properly due to a huge amount of different parameters.
Thanks Igro :) sounds good to me.

SWallace wrote:To create an init patch in Blue just hit "Clear" in the bottom row on the preset browser.

BTW it is totally worth it:
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-elements/r ... work=false
As I said above if I try to do that Blue says "Not available in Demo" :)

HydrogenHuman wrote:Swallace is right you just select "Clear" and it automatically creates an Init for you.

I think even Rob Papen himself says it in the video overview that came out a couple weeks ago, which is kind of hilarious since Blue was released 5 years ago.
Swallace most likely has the full version like yourself because the file I downloaded from http://www.robpapen.com/blue-demo.html says "Not available in Demo" whenever I try to clear the preset.

Thanks for at least trying to help. Appreciated guys.
I suppose the fact that Blue is 5 years old puts things into perspective, I think my expectations of Blue were too high especially given the standard of VST's in recent years.
Although I am not sure Blue is a bargain anymore even at $79.00

I've got blue, it's got some great pads & bass patches & the price now is fantastic.

The only thing I thought was weak was the leads, but if u are good at sound design, then u will be fine..

A really good tip with Blue is to run Notch 24 -> LP 24 in series. Really carves out some pleasant Lead and Bass sounds.

ranger3 wrote:I've got blue, it's got some great pads & bass patches & the price now is fantastic.

The only thing I thought was weak was the leads, but if u are good at sound design, then u will be fine..
One lead is good at least and so many synths have only ugly leads to my taste. too sharp i mean. ps. one thing what i want to blue is fine time values for enelopes for some uses.

Leads for Blue ? Here are a few ones from our ..... Blue Leads Soundbank :shrug:

Leads for Blue

The bank was made back in 2007. Dont wait for dubsteps or something modern like that/

I think some of these leads are still usable, but well maybe its just me. Blue has a special character. Thats why I like it.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

JPQ wrote:I have also sinewave problem but i found clips some values very little when i changed i think one parameter little smaller results is fine. even before addinational harmonic i think is about -42db when 0db is main sound i think. and i recommend it its my one my favorite commercial synths. actually first synth what i buyed.
Confirmed at -41db. With Scope Schwa. I don't think it's a problem. Maybe in the FM modulation world is an issue? I used BLUE for many years enjoying its sound and power and I can't think of any real impact on the sound overal.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Hi,

Any clue when Blue 2 will be released ?

Return to “Instruments”