Omnisphere update issue

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have just installed Omnisphere and whenever I try to run the updater it keeps giving me the error 'failed to open output file', I have tried following the advice on the Spectrasonics knowledge base (making sure permissions are set up correctly for the folders), but I am having no luck.

The library is currently installed on an external disc, I made sure that the alias was working and when this failed I tried moving the library to my main HDD (in the Spectrasonics folder on my computer where the alias was contained) - both of these have yielded no results.

Are there any other ways to get this working (I don't want to have to re-install the library as I am using an iMac with no CD drive and had to borrow a family members macbook to wirelessly use their CD drive, which means that they cannot use their computer during the install).

I am using OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), and the STEAM folder is 44.2GB in size (in case it appears that something hasn't installed properly)

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching the forums on here but nothing came up.

Thanks

Hello. I just had this issue and resolved it. Maybe it will work for you? This was caused because I moved the STEAM folder to another hard drive. I discovered that the system wanted the STEAM folder to be in the users/username/library/Application Support/Spectraonics folder and ignored any aliases.

To solve this problem I deleted the aliases in both Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Spectraonics and in users/username/library/Application Support/Spectraonics and then ran the actual installer program from Spectraonics that requires the discs to be put in. There is an option to choose where you want the STEAM folder to be. Point the installer to the location where it actually is - more importantly, point it to (your drive)/Library/Application Support/Spectraonics (ONLY) and then it will add the /STEAM. When it asks to put a disk in, just quit. Then run the software updater, then the data updater. This resolved my problem.

If your Omnisphere data files are in fact located on your boot drive and haven't been moved you could still be having this issue. Check inside the Omnisphere folder for a STEAM folder - there shouldn't be 2 steam folders. Run the installer and when it tells you it's found a STEAM folder make sure it's the correct one (or change it to the correct one). Then quit when it asks you to insert the first DVD.

For some reason it can become corrupted and even putting in an alias does not fix the problem. I am currently using Yosemite on a 2010 Mac Pro.

I hope this helps… I was tearing my hair out over this for a few hours until I got it to work.

And only just over a year to get a response...
Necro-dredge award of the day!
:hihi:

BBFG# wrote:And only just over a year to get a response...
Oh c'mon, tell me you haven't had the slightest inclination to dredge up an old Alchemy vs. Omnisphere thread from 7 years ago? :P

The ironic thing is those threads started here (or elsewhere) before either were released, and here we are now wondering about Alchemy/Omnisphere 2 without preview videos!

Those instruments are so different, but dang life is so hard. :D

declan32001 wrote:
BBFG# wrote:And only just over a year to get a response...
Oh c'mon, tell me you haven't had the slightest inclination to dredge up an old Alchemy vs. Omnisphere thread from 7 years ago? :P
Why? They're like busses... if you miss one - another is on its way!

But yes, I have gotten caught into commenting on threads where I didn't check the OP date first.

This one seemed beyond funny since it only had the OP and one comment with over a year between them. I wonder if the OP ever got a response from Spectrasonics Support? :lol:

Of all the dredged up necrothreads, this one seems beyond 'special'. :clap:
Last edited by BBFG# on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

spectrasonics update issues are common right before new product releases :)

Try benzyol peroxide. It helps with that issue. I know it is personal but the diarrhea will eventually slow and you will feel much better.

Ok... I know its been Years since this post but i just installed omnisphere And For me the problem was solved by - Giving Read & Write Folders To The Spectrasonics folder inside library application support and all the folder inside-

right click on the spectrasonics folder and go to get info scroll download and unlock the lock icon then give Permissions to all three options "Read & Write" then under those 3 options there is the option setting click on it and press "Apply To Enclosed Items" to make those changes applied to all folders and items inside that folder
[img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I just one to say thank you for your reply Dullabills!!! You saved my life

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
experienced the same problem too, dullabills suggestion worked for me as well. Thank you.

spectrasonics site goes over this issue and gives the same solution: https://www.spectrasonics.net/support/k ... egoryID=13 (https://www.spectrasonics.net/support/knowledgebase_view_topic.php?id=37&categoryID=13)

Return to “Instruments”