Abstractor 1.0, Free Synthi

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BlackWinny wrote: Read carefully the webpage at the chapter "How to install" and you'll understand.
Maybe I was not clear the first time: I get the malware warning just when the download is about to finish - not when installing the plugin. Btw it's the protection in Google Chrome that does that. It may happen sometimes to get such a message when you're downloading uncommon software and it doesn't know how to label it (although the message in that case is different: it just tells you the software is unknown and may damage your PC), but I've never got a straight malware warning unless that website got breached/hacked.

So my question is: is it safe to download it or not & do I have to use another program since Chrome doesn't allow it?
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:
BlackWinny wrote: Read carefully the webpage at the chapter "How to install" and you'll understand.
Maybe I was not clear the first time: I get the malware warning just when the download is about to finish - not when installing the plugin. Btw it's the protection in Google Chrome that does that. It may happen sometimes to get such a message when you're downloading uncommon software and it doesn't know how to label it (although the message in that case is different: it just tells you the software is unknown and may damage your PC), but I've never got a straight malware warning unless that website got breached/hacked.

So my question is: is it safe to download it or not & do I have to use another program since Chrome doesn't allow it?
It is safe to download it, yes.

It's been a long time that Chrome is known for this annoying false alert:
http://superuser.com/questions/111674/g ... ad-warning

As intensive user (for professional use to transmit many documents across the world in the past and now only for personal use), I hate Chrome in reason of several things like that. My browser is Waterfox for many years. I have also Chrome installed of course and I open it sometimes to check if all these pitiful bugs have been fixed. Each time I see that not yet, so I close it and I continue to use my Waterfox (Cyberfox is even better but less compatible with Firefox since the last version).

Same remarks as Chrome about Internet Explorer (which is even worse...)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Ok, thanks ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:

Yeah, AVG is giving a potential harm to computer message with this file. I'll have to pass on the download as I'm using someone elses computer.

barrybitter wrote:
idfpower wrote:

Yeah, AVG is giving a potential harm to computer message with this file. I'll have to pass on the download as I'm using someone elses computer.
I repeat: there is absolutely no problem.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny wrote:
barrybitter wrote:
idfpower wrote:

I repeat: there is absolutely no problem.
BlackWinny knows it because he worked in the wildlife research and knows every possible virus! :P

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD3w6KcLZQM

With MalwareByte Antimalware purchased edition and with Avast Internet Security purchased edition!

Is it OK, now?

Put several of your own exe files in a zip that you create from scratch, then upload it where you want and redownload it or ask other friends to download it! And you'll see that your own AVG and many of your friends will alert you the same way!

Hello;
I like this synth!
I'm not much with the controls, and would like someone to answer a couple of questions please.
Preset 89 is awesome. Can someone explain how to tune it up an octave and what control sets up the 5th?
Sorry if this is an elementary issue, but like I said, I'm not much on controls.
Thank You if you can explain.
conens

I haven't had any problems with Synthmaker exe's that I've compiled, I haven't tried a Flowstone one though. I only have the dll of Abstractor.

Edit: I'll try the exe-but yeah I guess they would be either unsigned or maybe some sort of generic name.
Last edited by RunBeerRun on Tue May 27, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:I only have the dll of Abstractor.
Yes, you haven't tried with the exe.
Nor with the zip... wich simply contains the exe, the dll and the mp3 example.

The difference is in the loading of an unsigned exe (or a zip file containing an unsigned exe).

If you don't know what is a signed and an unsigned exe, it is here:
http://blog.didierstevens.com/2008/12/3 ... ecutables/

There are many websites which will teach you what is the "application signatures".

But first it is now as useless as to do nothing since the hackers know how to easily overcome the signatures (and even imitate them). And for that useless pseudo-protection you will also see how much it costs per year for a developer and therefore why it is reserved essentially to the companies (which can afford that system despite it is useless) and absolutely not to the amateur developers.

And thus many antivirus display this warning "beware, the file that you are loading is perhaps unsure" simply to signify that the file is not digitally signed. But almost everybody understands "beware, the file that you are loading is certainly virused" which is absolutely not the same thing. And after that the person complains that the file is virused while the antivirus said simply that the file is not signed.

Also, have you tried the test I had suggested? Probably not.

Create a dummy, empty text file, then rename its extension with exe instead of txt. Immediately you begin to get warnings and alerts as soon as you try to use it, though the file is totally empty. Then zip it and send the zip to three or four of your friends (or upload it somewhere and ask them to download it)... and you'll understand what I am talking about.

This thing sounds great!

is 'synthi' a reference to the original synthi? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMS_Synthi_AKS

great work, will be checking it out more, and spreading the word.

overhishead wrote:This thing sounds great!

is 'synthi' a reference to the original synthi? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMS_Synthi_AKS

great work, will be checking it out more, and spreading the word.
I don't think so.

EMS Synthi was a synthesizer which used the subtractive synthesis, and it was an evolution of the previous VCS 3 (build two years earlier by the same english company, EMS) which was also the first synth using a matrix for the connections between the parts of the synths.

Today there are several emulations of the EMS Synthi. There are even three awesome products by the french XILS-Labs (one for each purse):
  • XILS 3 LE: it is the EXACT emulation of the EMS VCS 3 Synthi AKS, meaning with all its features, even the sequencer. And XILS 3 LE, which is almost given ($40/€30 at Xils-Labs themselves, only $20/€15 at Sweetwater, and even only $15/€10 at JRR Shop), is an incredible product, and there is even a bank made by Xenos for... $4/€3!!!.
  • XILS 3: the next edition, with many features in additions. It has been greatly applaused by Peter Zinovieff, the guy who created the original EMS VCS 3 and who was the director of EMS during all the life of the company (from 1968 to 1979). You have here the only one official website of EMS (the german EMSRehberg is not at all an official website).
  • Very few weeks ago, XILS-Labs produced XILS 4 which is... two XILS 3 side by side in a unique synth, and with absolutely crazy abilities of emulations in this monumental synth. I confess that for me who knew the real EMS Synthi AKS in 1977 (I was 18 years old and one of my friends of our little local prog-rock band had one and we could all four use it, any of us except him (son of a surgeon, jammy bugger!) couldn't afford that jewel that he had even bought new in 1974!) it is one of my preferred synths ever. And it will remain this by huge nostalgy of these golden years for the rest of my life.
Besides this, is there a relation between Abstractor and the EMS VCS 3 Synthi?

None.

Abstractor uses a totally different synthesis, which is the additive synthesis, with FFT wave generation, and AM/FM modulations. And neither doesn't use a matrix for the connections between features.

In fact if we could relate Abstrator to an "old" hardware synth, it would be with the Kawai K5, which was the first really used hardware additive synthesizer. Before it, in the use of the additive synthesis there had been the Hammond B3 organ (yes!), the Fairlight CMI and the Synclavier, but the very famous Hammond B3 was of course used as an organ due to its huge paraphony, and the two latters had been used essentially for experimental works rather than for popular music. The first "democratic" additive synthesizer was the Kawai K5 (used for example by Jean-Michel Jarre in 1988), but even this Kawai K5 was not easy at all to program and it had not many users. In fact the first real democratic and quite easy additive synthesizer was its successor, the Kawai K5000... in 1996, so ten years later! Almost none hardware synth uses the additive synthesis. It is much more adapted to a use in the software synthesizers.

Is there some documentation or a manual (existing already, or possibly on the way?)

excellent, excellent synth.

Dear Christoph,

I've just downloaded version 1.5 and I have to say I'm mightily impressed. I love the tone and flexibility of this synth. I have blown off the past 24 hours just noodling with it. CPU performance seems to be a non issue but I'm running a relatively modern Lenovo 3GHz Xeon based workstation and right now with Reaper, Abstractor, samples (a buttload), eight other synths and associated FX loaded (another buttload) I'm seeing about 14% utilization so that's not the issue. my question regarding Abstractor refers to modulation. Does this synth understand velocity sensing or the mod wheel? Even the pitch wheel seems to be defective. If I map a midi controller (say CC91) to a pot in Reaper and then by extension to Abstractor when I turn the knob (both actual and virtual) it seems to work great and the value in Abstractor changes smoothly in real-time (post 1.0). I can even save the synth state/patch in Reaper and it will continue to remember the assignments post re-load. It's just the mod wheels and v-sensing (I'm not going to even talk about after-touch) that seem to be missing/broken and yes, The mod wheels and keyboard expression all work fine on my other synths. Any thoughts on why this is? Is it just missing in the code? If it is then that's ok, Abstractor is still an amazing pad/rhythm synth. I just can't use it for leads that's all. In any case thank you so much for all of your hard work and wonderful generosity in giving us this fine synth. Thank you.

Paul.

Return to “Instruments”