DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

While i needed a break from all the new tools i bought (yeah G.A.S.) i played again a bit with Dune 2 and i really like what (sometimes weird) sounds i get from just one of the 3 OP FM OSC and some modulations.
5 single patches (O.k. one patch use 2 OSC).
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/d ... odulations

Cinebient wrote:While i needed a break from all the new tools i bought (yeah G.A.S.) i played again a bit with Dune 2 and i really like what (sometimes weird) sounds i get from just one of the 3 OP FM OSC and some modulations.

These sound amaaaazing!! Care to share the patches if you dont mind?

surreal wrote:
Cinebient wrote:While i needed a break from all the new tools i bought (yeah G.A.S.) i played again a bit with Dune 2 and i really like what (sometimes weird) sounds i get from just one of the 3 OP FM OSC and some modulations.

These sound amaaaazing!! Care to share the patches if you dont mind?
Sure. I´m not at my computer yet but i could share them tomorrow after work if you like.
They are "raw" patches but you can tweak from there :D

Good stuff!

On a side note, I recently tagged all my Dune 2 patches with VIP and used that in two tracks. I need to admit that Dune 2 has better presets than Sylenth.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thank´s.
Here is another one i will put into a mini set. Also FM but 3 layers this time.
Still just one patch and you just hear 1-3 voices at a time which just evolve trough modulation and slowly open and close the modwheel.
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/d ... oundscapes
A last one for today: Again a kind of gated (when Modwheel open) FM Pad:
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/dune-2-fm-pads

As i said....here is a mini set of 10 (more or less raw) presets which focus on the FM stuff from Dune 2.
But some presets might even sound more interesting if you just change OSC to waveforms or wavetables and tweak them to your own. Let me know if that link not work or there are other questions or problems about the presets. Have a nice day:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy7z8obpg0vyz ... f.zip?dl=0

some really nice patch here, Thanks a Lot !

Cinebient wrote:As i said....here is a mini set of 10 (more or less raw) presets which focus on the FM stuff from Dune 2.
But some presets might even sound more interesting if you just change OSC to waveforms or wavetables and tweak them to your own. Let me know if that link not work or there are other questions or problems about the presets. Have a nice day:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy7z8obpg0vyz ... f.zip?dl=0
Thank you very much Cinebient

Greatly appreciated! :tu:

Ok, I have put some time and effort into exploring the oscillators in DUNE 2 and I have to say that, while the saw OSC is pretty damn decent and sounds good to my ears, the pulse one is pretty bad for my taste (sorry if this sounds negative to some people, but I believe in euphemisms only when speaking to children (and even then it is to some degree, not all the way)).

It produces a sort of very audible "click" and "thunk" (for lack of better term), depending on the note being played and for me it's unusable.

The best sounding pulse oscillators (at least for me) are the ones that produce the signal that actually looks like a square (no ramps, drops, spikes etc).

So, implementing a decent pulse OSC would be one of my priorities, if I were developing DUNE (3). DUNE 1 had a decent pulse OSC, IIRC (have de-installed DUNE 1 long ago, so I can't really check, and I don't wanna re-install it, since everything else, especially the filters, is better in v2).

To correct this, i fired up Sound Forge and made a wavetable with basic shapes (including 32 pulse shapes with various width). It took some time and effort to "tune" each sample, so that it doesn't introduce DC offset when used with heavy unison. To my ears it sounds pretty good and much better than the VA pulse OSC (you can find it coupled with the small bank I made previously).

So, again, my suggestions for DUNE 3:

-Proper dials with decimal values and proper units (Hz for filters, dB for volumes, miliseconds/seconds for envelopes etc) and the ability to input the values via keyboard;
-Graphical ADSR envelopes (a la Serum, FM8, Cytrus etc), without removing the MSEGs, of course;
-That thing with 16 voices where each voice is a synth voice with its own panning, tuning etc (not a layer!), that I've mentioned previously, would also be very nice, and of course ...
-A new pulse OSC.

Cheers!

Ghost Dog wrote:Ok, I have put some time and effort into exploring the oscillators in DUNE 2 and I have to say that, while the saw OSC is pretty damn decent and sounds good to my ears, the pulse one is pretty bad for my taste (sorry if this sounds negative to some people, but I believe in euphemisms only when speaking to children (and even then it is to some degree, not all the way)).

It produces a sort of very audible "click" and "thunk" (for lack of better term), depending on the note being played and for me it's unusable.

The best sounding pulse oscillators (at least for me) are the ones that produce the signal that actually looks like a square (no ramps, drops, spikes etc).

So, implementing a decent pulse OSC would be one of my priorities, if I were developing DUNE (3). DUNE 1 had a decent pulse OSC, IIRC (have de-installed DUNE 1 long ago, so I can't really check, and I don't wanna re-install it, since everything else, especially the filters, is better in v2).

To correct this, i fired up Sound Forge and made a wavetable with basic shapes (including 32 pulse shapes with various width). It took some time and effort to "tune" each sample, so that it doesn't introduce DC offset when used with heavy unison. To my ears it sounds pretty good and much better than the VA pulse OSC (you can find it coupled with the small bank I made previously).

So, again, my suggestions for DUNE 3:

-Proper dials with decimal values and proper units (Hz for filters, dB for volumes, miliseconds/seconds for envelopes etc) and the ability to input the values via keyboard;
-Graphical ADSR envelopes (a la Serum, FM8, Cytrus etc), without removing the MSEGs, of course;
-That thing with 16 voices where each voice is a synth voice with its own panning, tuning etc (not a layer!), that I've mentioned previously, would also be very nice, and of course ...
-A new pulse OSC.

Cheers!
It´s easy to do with a wavetable. But i have no problem with the pulse, more with the limited pulse width setting. But that could also be "faked" via a wavetable.

Cinebient wrote:It´s easy to do with a wavetable ....
Not that easy. :D

(If you wanna do it the right way and not get a ton of DC. :) )

Any news abut DUNE 3?

Ghost Dog wrote:Any news abut DUNE 3?
I dunno, but, Kevin Schroeder, who did a lot of sounds for Dune 1 and 2 wrote on Youtube that it might (yes, might) be out this summer. As we all know how programming works (or do we?), i guess it'll be out at the end of the year then. :P

chk071 wrote:
I dunno, but, Kevin Schroeder, who did a lot of sounds for Dune 1 and 2 wrote on Youtube that it might (yes, might) be out this summer. As we all know how programming works (or do we?), i guess it'll be out at the end of the year then. :P
Probably something like that. :ud:

I'm kinda bummed when it comes to my two favourite soft synths: one of them (that would be Sylenth1) is kinda limited in terms of options and not that well optimized in terms of CPU usage (at least compared to the other one), and the other one (DUNE), has an interface that is somewhat idiosyncratic in some regards, and is developed by people who are, while being pretty capable in terms of developing the actual software code, pretty obtuse when it comes to public relations (at least that was my experience with them).

chk071 wrote:
Who knows when it will be out, you'll prob hear about it on gearslutz first :lol:

Return to “Instruments”