Well? Falcon vs. Omnisphere 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Falcon Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

HcDoom wrote:Can both of these synths make supersaw and hypersaw? If yes, how do they sound? Never heard any example...
Yes. But the question is: how deep you want to go? Do you want to detune 7 saws at your own defined pitch and send them trough a single filter? Omnisphere 2 doesn't seem to be able to do that (5 seems to be the max), but Falcon can do it:

Falcon:

If you accept less control over the detuning then Omni can easily do it:

Up to 8 detuned waveforms.
Dúnedain

Which one sounds closer to Virus hypersaw? Almost all sw synths have problem with creating proper hypersaw detuned synth, they all loose power or become muddy and dont cut through dense mix easily.

Dúnedain wrote:If you accept less control over the detuning then Omni can easily do it:

Up to 8 detuned waveforms.
You could use two oscs with Harmonia instead, for more precision...

Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HcDoom wrote:Which one sounds closer to Virus hypersaw? Almost all sw synths have problem with creating proper hypersaw detuned synth, they all loose power or become muddy and dont cut through dense mix easily.
Dunno how either Falcon or Omnisphere sound for that (i wouldn't have identified those with that type of sound...), but, did you try Spire? Don't wanna sound like a broken record, and recommend it in every single thread there is, but, for me, it is THE synth for that kind of sound.

chk071 wrote:
HcDoom wrote:Which one sounds closer to Virus hypersaw? Almost all sw synths have problem with creating proper hypersaw detuned synth, they all loose power or become muddy and dont cut through dense mix easily.
Dunno how either Falcon or Omnisphere sound for that (i wouldn't have identified those with that type of sound...), but, did you try Spire? Don't wanna sound like a broken record, and recommend it in every single thread there is, but, for me, it is THE synth for that kind of sound.
Don't wanna sound like a broken record either, but despite Spire is probably the closest thing to Virus hypersaw currently available ITB, it doesn't sound exactly the same and I prefer Virus basically because of what HcDoom has said.

Hope Adam Szabo will do it right. Also I like how Rapid does hypersaws but I didn't have a chance to play with it much so far.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

EvilDragon wrote:
You could use two oscs with Harmonia instead, for more precision...

Yes that is what I said in my first reply as well.

But ... it depends I think. If you want to send all the detuned saws from both osc trough one filter then I am not sure if it is possible with 2 instances of Harmonia, as each osc section has its own filter. So you send (up to) 4 + 1 = 5 saws from osc A to a filter and (up to) 4 + 1 = 5 saws from osc B to another filter.
Dúnedain

There is a lot of different super/hypersaw depending on how you arrange the freq, the spatial position and phases of oscillator.
In Falcon, You have 2 freq arrangements with a depth, 2 ways of spreading each voices in the pan field
and 3 ways for the phase spread.
And even more, if you count the way the actual saw waveform looks like.

Here is a C2 supersaw with 7 voices, exp phases, 50% hard stereo spread and 44% detune with normal range.

https://we.tl/6VnSUJMscB
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

So, the thing is... Omnisphere IS really just a rompler with a vast library of multi-sampled recordings of other synths, coupled with a respectable palette of Fx processors and patch layering/stacking. It is approachable, has a fantastic preset browser and most folks here on KVR who own it rave about it for good reason.

I'm not a fan of Omnisphere's editing workflow (too much zooming in and out), but in terms of patches and sound sources, both are adorned with metadata that makes them easily discoverable and even gives hints on how to use them.

Falcon, while far more complex to use, shines when it comes to variety of synth engines, flexibility of interna, routing as well as letting you see modulations on the knobs they're applied to. The synth engine
includes physical modelling, wave-table engines, as well as IRCAM sampling algorithms. If you want best-in-class oscillators and effects, Falcon is for you. It genuinely is a dessert island synth, and all of UVIs product use the falcon engine.

Ultimately you shouldn't be choosing between Omnisphere and Falcon by asking "which is best?"... They're both excellent:
Omnisphere is excellent for producers and artists who want to quickly find and use a sound, and get on with their tracks.

Falcon is excellent for those who want to dig deep into experimentation and sound designer, and want to do so using a best-in-class engine that won't present limitations.

So with the release of Falcon 2, the biggest thing for me as a user of two mpe capable midi instruments (ROLI Seaboard Block and the Sensel Morph) is their implementation of mpe. For me, it'll be a race to scrounge up $250 before the end of the Intro promo by end of the month!
Rock isn't dead - it just smells funny.

Return to “Instruments”