PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

It's not yet 100% confirmed that PG-8X will go fully under SST wings (however nothing prevents us to just fork Martin's repository and see what happens!), but we have discussed about various things with Martin and he's open for collaboration.

GUI is going to be updated with resizeable interface for sure, for this I think both Martin and myself would like to touch base again with ENV1 who did the current skin for it!

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:05 pm VST3 was released in 2008, the transition to 64-bit was still kinda in process back then...

That said, many plugin developers simply decided once they went to VST3 they would also go 64-bit only, so that kinda skews perception I suppose!

sure, but the transition to vst3 is much slower.... I know most devs won't give up vst2. 4(?) are some have been vocal (privately and publicly) about not liking it/being forced to use it (I don't code, but they obviously prefer the old way)

i guess most devs have gone 64bit only to save time on a tiny part of the market, cant argue with that

Yeah for sure already established devs who signed a contract with Steinberg for the SDK prior to 2018 can continue to build VST2 just fine. It just doesn't apply for any new developers after 2018, including any open-source development.

It's true that VST2 is a much, much, MUCH simpler spec, but such is the way the cookie crumbles...

yeah, i guess everyone has to move with the times.... shame when it's forced tho....

i dont like change! :lol:

i will literally have to buy a new pc soon just to keep up with modern spec, even tho it's a great pc that works fine.... but no AAX etc

oh well....

EvilDragon wrote: GUI is going to be updated with resizeable interface for sure, for this I think both Martin and myself would like to touch base again with ENV1 who did the current skin for it!
This shouldnt be a problem.

I have countless WIPs for a larger version already done, (which Martin rejected at the time because he thought theyre too big), so i pretty much just need to finish one of these, and i can always make them even bigger.

rightclick and select View Image for fullsize
wipshot1.png
wipshot6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Awesome :tu:

ENV1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:44 pm
EvilDragon wrote: GUI is going to be updated with resizeable interface for sure, for this I think both Martin and myself would like to touch base again with ENV1 who did the current skin for it!

I have countless WIPs for a larger version already done, (which Martin rejected at the time because he thought theyre too big), so i pretty much just need to finish one of these, and i can always make them even bigger.

That's great news! I came here to recommend ENV1 do the GUI for any future versions. Love the style. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Im excited for the future of this.. unl8ke the direction that NI are heading..

I used this synth a lot the new one looks exciting

ENV1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:44 pm

:)

However I think the current GUI is perfectly fine in every way. We would only need it rendered at multiple zoom levels (HiDPI support etc.).

Hi, sorry to participate only sparsely. As for the vst2.4 version: first of all, the current version will still be around and can be used. I want that the new version will be patch compatible, so that there is no problem to transition. Secondly, I still do have the vst2.4 license, so I should be able to do a binary release of a vst2.4. However, I need to double check that this is in fact allowed. As far as I understand, we just cannot ship it with a vst2.4 sdk in source form, but it should be possible to compile a vst2.4 if you have the license.

As for the GUI, it is great to see that ENV1 is interested, as his GUI is simply stunning. I also do not want to change much, aside from different zoom levels.

I am currently experimenting with JUCE, but it is still some way to go. I might first try it on the chorus effect plug-in, and then take it from there...

Cheers,
Martin

You can compile VST2 for your own use (if you've signed the VST2 SDK contract with Steinberg before 2018, which you did) but you cannot distribute it if your plugin is open sourced under GPL3 license (because this requires also shipping the source code along with your binary). VST2 SDK license is not compatible with open source in any way - only VST3 is, and ONLY through GPL3.

What about dual licensing by the author? I thought that is always possible?

martin_l wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:22 am What about dual licensing by the author? I thought that is always possible?
That's possible, you (the Surge team) have to ensure that every contributor to the source code allows distributing his GPL code under the closed license too.
But please don't ask mé about details, INAL.

martin_l wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:22 am What about dual licensing by the author? I thought that is always possible?
I guess dual licensing should be possible, as VST3 showcases. But worth checking it up with baconpaul!

Return to “Instruments”