Best Piano - PIANOTEQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pianoteq Studio Bundle

oscarolarte wrote:OK, i'll have to try harder, is true.

1-Pianoteq
2-Real Piano

I'll be back with a no so obvious test.

Thanks all.
Ok, it seems most people heard the difference and picked Pianoteq. This was IMO not very difficult because of this typical a bit artificial sound. That's why I would not use Pianoteq, I tried also the demo and don't like it. Today's models are not accurate enough so more research is needed.

Well, Pianoteq has more than 10 years of research into it.

Models are definitely accurate enough - the latest Model B is definitely a Steinway sound. You might not like it but majority of listening audience (not professional nitpickers) would never know the difference. And for players, the difference is HUGE compared to sample libraries. Might be you're not an accomplished player so you don't appreciate the difference.

EvilDragon wrote:Well, Pianoteq has more than 10 years of research into it.

Models are definitely accurate enough - the latest Model B is definitely a Steinway sound. You might not like it but majority of listening audience (not professional nitpickers) would never know the difference. And for players, the difference is HUGE compared to sample libraries. Might be you're not an accomplished player so you don't appreciate the difference.
Very true and i want to add especially in this case people forget that this was a midi file which in terms of quality vary. It's a little bit unfair to take a live playing from one source from "one of the best.." and a midi file from another. Any info about the midi file btw?

Best would be if one pro piano player would play the same piece live with Pianoteq and a real quality piano.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

oscarolarte wrote:Any comments will be very wellcome
Why the microphone? Are you going to record sampled pianos played through a speaker? That's not the way they're used, so such a set-up may defeat the purpose.

i'm going to record both, speaker and direct.

This is the last test and it was from 2008. Pianoteq vs Petrof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo0O1pC6zDA

So let's see what happen.

thanks

Here is another test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l4aAFD-moY

It's almost there. Maybe Pianoteq 6 will success.

Every piano ever made sounds different. There is not, nor can there ever be, a definitive 'best'. So long as it gives you pleasure to hear, I don't see how it matters which piano is being played.

Maincat wrote:Every piano ever made sounds different. There is not, nor can there ever be, a definitive 'best'. So long as it gives you pleasure to hear, I don't see how it matters which piano is being played.
That's because you are not a skilled piano player and don't play on appropriate keys. We should divide this thread into players/non players at least that would makes sense as we talking about different things.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote: That's because you are not a skilled piano player and don't play on appropriate keys. We should divide this thread into players/non players at least that would makes sense as we talking about different things.
You're quite right. I only spent three years at music college studying piano and then became a head of music, so what do I know?

Have you guys ever tried miking Pianoteq from your studio monitors? I did this once years ago with a Korg Triton piano and it made a big difference.

murnau wrote:
Maincat wrote:Every piano ever made sounds different. There is not, nor can there ever be, a definitive 'best'. So long as it gives you pleasure to hear, I don't see how it matters which piano is being played.
That's because you are not a skilled piano player and don't play on appropriate keys. We should divide this thread into players/non players at least that would makes sense as we talking about different things.
I agree with maincat, and I've only played and tuned 40,000 pianos over the years.

murnau wrote:
Why do you need to be a skilled piano player to hear the difference in sound?

There's always this "you need to be a skilled piano player" when it comes to Pianoteq.
What does that matter when it migth sound shite?!
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Maincat wrote:
murnau wrote: That's because you are not a skilled piano player and don't play on appropriate keys. We should divide this thread into players/non players at least that would makes sense as we talking about different things.
You're quite right. I only spent three years at music college studying piano and then became a head of music, so what do I know?
Because you talked about pleasure to hear and therefore i thought the pleasure to play isn't important for you: Pianoteq5 is superior against his sample based counterparts. From a players view the response is divine no sample technology can reach this level.

murnau wrote:
Maincat wrote:
Because you talked about pleasure to hear and therefore i thought the pleasure to play isn't important for you: Pianoteq5 is superior against his sample based counterparts. From a players view the response is divine no sample technology can reach this level.
To me, the "pleasure to play" a piano is not only which VST has the best response. The sound also has a lot to do with it. And the keyboard/controller.

Maybe from a pure technical view, Pianoteq has a great "feel", but if it sounds like One Ping Only, then it doesn't matter in the total picture.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

It makes sense the Pianoteq responds better than a sampled piano. I will agree with that, and that only a skilled pianist would know the difference, but most people can have an opinion on the sound differences. I've been comparing the modeled piano's with real thing since the first modeled VST, and while they are in the same ball park, samples just SOUND like the real piano, maybe they don't respond well, but the basic tone easily convinces that it's a real piano SOUND, before we factor in what it should sound like when playing (dynamics, string hit variations, etc.). So I understand why players love the modeled VST's, but it still looks like a plastic imitation porcelain flower pot, let's be honest, most people don't really care about the difference, it still looks pretty nice.

Return to “Instruments”