Mini Midi Controller with sensitive keyboard

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Arturia Keystep is another candidate. Best mini keys around imho.

wouldn't worry, purchased the nanokey in 2016 :hihi:

edit: never mind, read on and noticed someone else looking for a kb :oops:

carry on.

but yes, the keystep, people rave about that one :)

The CME is an excellent portable keyboard since it's so thin, but still full sized keys which is good if used to a regular keyboard. For ultra portability though I really like the Roli Lightpad Block M. I had the seaboard block for a while and sold it as i had the same issue with it feeling too small and compressed to play chords properly. The Lightpad as different as you have to play chords in a very different way, but cool for how small it is.

The CME is the best super portable keyboard with full sized keys imho. When you include controllers with mini keys, however, my new favorite is the Nektar SE 25.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Muzaa wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:24 am Hello
I am looking for a mini midi controller (which works with Windows 10). My concern is the keyboard.
I need a keyboard with very 'soft' keys, as for children toy instruments but with musical properties as for adult musicians.
Because of weak muscles disability I have a problem with pushing standard keys.
I would like to find such a midi that even after a gentle touch it catches the sound.
In case current readers with similar physical needs,

try the IK lineup of mini keys, and keep in mind the software bundle.
I twiddled some at a guitar center in passing that area, and recall they were
extremely light-pressure.
Good luck!

IK Multimedia Uno. Touch keys, has 5 programable easy rotatable knobs.

So I picked up the Arturia Minilab MK2 yesterday. I had a Seaboard Rise Block and like everyone else says the keys are just too thin to really play anything more than a lead and even that isn't easy and I have skinny fingers.
None of the mini/portable controllers were plugged in at the music store, but I'd heard the Arturia keys were the best of the popular models. I compared it to the Akai, Novation, Korg models and it was clearly better. Keys are definitely a bit bigger. Actually big enough for playing chords and they have more weight. Didn't feel miles apart from my M Audio Keystation when I compared them at home.

After I finished the setup got around to loading some Kontakt piano libraries(Alecia's Key's and Scarbee EP88) it still fell flat. It just doesn't give a consistent velocity response probably due to the keys still taking a little too long to provide resistance.
Disappointing as the overall build quality seems quite high for the price point. It feels solid. Not cheap at all.

Given the obvious need for portable keyboards, you would think the industry would make these things better by now. Nope. This was the best of the popular mini keyboard model controllers and it's still not there yet.
Uggh.

If I remember correctly the CME XKey features even the polyphonic aftertouch.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

It seems to me that the best choice is Korg Nano Keys2!

Straight2Vinyl wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:35 pm So I picked up the Arturia Minilab MK2 yesterday. I had a Seaboard Rise Block and like everyone else says the keys are just too thin to really play anything more than a lead and even that isn't easy and I have skinny fingers.
None of the mini/portable controllers were plugged in at the music store, but I'd heard the Arturia keys were the best of the popular models. I compared it to the Akai, Novation, Korg models and it was clearly better. Keys are definitely a bit bigger. Actually big enough for playing chords and they have more weight. Didn't feel miles apart from my M Audio Keystation when I compared them at home.

After I finished the setup got around to loading some Kontakt piano libraries(Alecia's Key's and Scarbee EP88) it still fell flat. It just doesn't give a consistent velocity response probably due to the keys still taking a little too long to provide resistance.
Disappointing as the overall build quality seems quite high for the price point. It feels solid. Not cheap at all.

Given the obvious need for portable keyboards, you would think the industry would make these things better by now. Nope. This was the best of the popular mini keyboard model controllers and it's still not there yet.
Uggh.
They're all super cheap. I don't think there really is a market for high end 2-3 octave mini key keyboards.

IMO, the Keystep/MiniLab are as good as it gets though. It plays nicer as my Novation Impulse, in my opinion, which is quite an achievement, for such a low price.

IRig Keys 25 looks interesting as a fully portable option with regular sized keys.
NI also just released the 32 note M32, so maybe change is on the way. Most music is electronic now anyway and done on laptops so it would be odd if things didn't significantly inprove in the near future.

For now I'm just playing the Minilab either velocity at full level. Not ideal, but whatever.

Straight2Vinyl wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:51 am IRig Keys 25 looks interesting as a fully portable option with regular sized keys.
The IRig is good in form and function, but it feels like a toy. You need to be open to that type of build quality if you want to enjoy it.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Launchpad pads are the easiest to trigger imo. I've had the also mini and it was pretty hard.

Altam wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:31 pm It seems to me that the best choice is Korg Nano Keys2!
Just horrible! You meant worst choice?

Return to “Instruments”