One Synth Challenge #92: Digits 2 by Extent of the Jam (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Digits

Frostline wrote:
version782 wrote:This vst does not seem to work with reapers "send all keyboard input to virtual midi keyboard" option, does anyone here use this feature? When I click the synth it takes focus away and I can't play midi notes unless I click the keyboard again, which makes editing the synth laborious (with just a computer keyboard)
Are you using 64 bit Reaper? If so it somewhat makes sense to me that the issue you are having might occur. I could see that way the 32 bit bridge works it could cause problems.
Have you tried just recording a measure or two of midi(or draw it in the piano roll) with the notes and rhythm you want, set Reaper to solo and loop that section and then adjusting the sound in Digits as the pattern you wrote loops? That is the way I use most of the time when trying to make sounds since I can't play in any consistent pattern/rhythm while also trying to make mouse adjustments on various knobs of the VSTi.
Yeah thats probably it, I am using x64 reaper. Recording and editing while looping is a good tip though, thanks :hihi:

version782 wrote:
Frostline wrote:
version782 wrote: Yeah thats probably it, I am using x64 reaper. Recording and editing while looping is a good tip though, thanks :hihi:
Aha! My bad ... with the 32-bit only VSTi I was using my 32-bit Reaper ... only have a few megs memory, so 64-bit doesn't offer me very much gain anyway. :dog:

And yeah, the looping thing is just what I do to work out sounds. Either a pattern I am going to use or just a few notes in the range. :tu:

dB

Taron wrote:Hoooh, that's A GREAT idea! :hyper: :lol:
...perfect opportunity to make a fool out of myself, because I'd have no idea what I'm doing! :party: ...I like the challenge, let me try! :ud:
It will be glorious ! :hail:

:lol: ...thanks! :hug:
If were to pick a BIG word to speculate, it would be TRAGIC! :shock: :oops:

There were some patches shared on the chat, I thought you might like a noise patch... be sure with this to play a high note, like C8 or whatever for best results. Adjust the decay on the amp envelope to get a hat-like sound, if you're so inclined.
Z - DIGITS Noise.fxp.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Taron wrote::lol: ...thanks! :hug:
If were to pick a BIG word to speculate, it would be TRAGIC! :shock: :oops:
Let's go for DRAMATIC .. :-o

jasinski wrote:
doctorbob wrote:
jasinski wrote:awesome. the Casio CZ synths are some of my all time favorite! This is my kind of contest. A great challenge.
Hehe - got rid of my CZ1000 not so long ago. It could make some awesome sounds. Even the MIDI worked pretty well too!

Looking forward to getting into the guts of this one ...

dB
I've found this synth is not like the CZ architecture at all.
I'm happy too we have a PD synth this month, but yeah the PD in CASIO CZ synths is not the same as in VZ ones, I have't tried this Digits yet, but if it's even a little similar to my VZ-8M, shoud be fun.

Gonna download it now.

So I tried the 32-bit VST,
sounds nice! Seems a PD/FM hybrid, no?

Unfortunatey it crashes Live 9 32-bit when I open the GUI.

But I was able to make a little ditty of 41 seconds in energyXT
http://dashsignature.com/mp3/some_littl ... OSC_92.mp3

with 3 instances, the first sounds I liked that came out tweaking the controls.
Using its own delay.
Only added a little compressor and subtle reverb.

Ahaha, that's such a cute and happy little sketch! :D ...sad with the crash, though.
I'm using a bridged version for my 64bit win system and it hasn't crashed on me thus far.

Here's my very first dubstep experiment, but I literally have no clue what I'm doing... I guess, I'm asking for advice?! :shrug: :help:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/osc92-stubdep/s-pTaJo

The noise example was VERY interesting ( THANKS! :hug: ), not so much because of the white noise, but because of the fantastic vinyl crackling one can get when you lower the sustain!
I've done some interesting hihats and percussion earlier already, which turned out more promising that I had expected, I think. Anyway...

It's just a test, of course, no submission! :shock:

cool drumming Taron!

Yay! Taron goes Wubby! :tu: Some nice percs there to use whatever genre you go for!
dB

Is vladg limiter N6 legal to use?

version782 wrote:Is vladg limiter N6 legal to use?
Sure! It's a compressor / limiter and its free so it should be okay. I also use it :clown:
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:
version782 wrote:Is vladg limiter N6 legal to use?
Sure! It's a compressor / limiter and its free so it should be okay. I also use it :clown:
cool thanks

liqih wrote:cool drumming Taron!
Thanks, Luigi!
doctorbob wrote:Yay! Taron goes Wubby! :tu: Some nice percs there to use whatever genre you go for!
dB
Thanks, bob!

But I still think I'm too rigid for dubstep, like I'm missing the bounciness of it or at the very least getting off the bars to throw the rhythm on occasion. Something like that. Jasinski and Zprime are doing these bizarre deconstructions that are quite stunning, though, I can't remember hearing the kind of bounciness I find most fascinating in stuff like from Skrillex, for example. :scared: ...loads to figure out and I just can't fully feel it, yet. I wouldn't mind expanding my senses and developing a new tool for my arsenal for expression.
I just hope, I can avoid the predictability of it or rather predictable unpredictability of it. :ud:

Well, thanks for pushing me. Oh, and the mix is a perfect mess, too, of course...pfff, so much to wrap my head around. :borg:

Return to “Instruments”